What is this Desktop/Laptop worth?

PROBLEMCHYLD

The computer has been sitting for 2 years. It was used in a company for about 4 years. Not much wear and tear. I mainly use my laptops and thought I should get rid of it. These are the original specs HP M7160N I have also upgraded some of the hardware specs. I am NOT trying to sell it on MSFN. Only asking what should I get for it. Someone offered me $125. This is why I still have it lol. The additional hardware is brand new.

Additional Hardware:

Rosewill RCR-IC002 74-in-1 USB 2.0 Internal Card Reader
Cooler Master Elite 341 Computer Case (Black)
4 GB DDR2 SDRAM (Crucial Ram)
3.5" Floppy Drive
2 LG Super-Multi 22x DVD±RW DL IDE
ATI Radeon 9250 (256 MB)
Realtek 10/100/1000 (NIC)

post-75997-0-76478700-1362161062_thumb.j

Edited by PROBLEMCHYLD

$125 is reasonable for that machine. It is older, but it appears that it will still be useable and even reasonably snappy today judging by the specs.

I would just double check all the capacitors visually, make sure none are bulging or leaking. If any are, that could be a dealbreaker, because the machine could just fail at any time. This is common with HPs and Dells from around that time from what I've seen come through my shop.

As long as it's dust free and works, $125 is fair.

$125 is reasonable for that machine. It is older, but it appears that it will still be useable and even reasonably snappy today judging by the specs.

I would just double check all the capacitors visually, make sure none are bulging or leaking. If any are, that could be a dealbreaker, because the machine could just fail at any time. This is common with HPs and Dells from around that time from what I've seen come through my shop.

As long as it's dust free and works, $125 is fair.

The additional parts is worth more than that. I can get a hundred bucks without the additional hardware. I have sold many computers but not an updated to the max like this one.

I agree on the Updates thing. Hold out for what you think it's worth or just keep it (IMHO). I can/could get $125 out of my non-Upgraded E521.

Thats what I was thinking. No one wants to pay for the extra hardware, but they sure want it free. I have yet to see any computer at a retailer that gives you 2 graphic cards even though one is a onboard. If I can't get rid of it, I will run 2000 Server on it instead of my laptop. I have been collecting laptops so i can run Win98 as long as possible. BTW, I was only asking $250. People think because its not new its no good. My older laptops out last most of these new ones.

• 1 month later...

3 Weeks later a "Mexican" walks in, says to the OP... (joking).

Used stuff with some parts dated from 2005;

5USD CPU (on ebay with free shipping)

20USD MoBo LGA775

20USD HDD 250GB SATA

30USD RAM (4 sticks of 1GB I presume) DDR2

20USD Case + cardreader

10USD ODD (DVD-RW) together

5USD for the PSU (HP junk any way ;))

5USD for the ATI 9250 PCI-E

Makes a total of 115USD, so 125USD wasn't that bad at all, just my 0.02 (so 124.98USD left :)).

3 Weeks later a "Mexican" walks in, says to the OP... (joking).

Used stuff with some parts dated from 2005;

5USD CPU (on ebay with free shipping)

20USD MoBo LGA775

20USD HDD 250GB SATA

30USD RAM (4 sticks of 1GB I presume) DDR2

20USD Case + cardreader

10USD ODD (DVD-RW) together

5USD for the PSU (HP junk any way ;))

5USD for the ATI 9250 PCI-E

Makes a total of 115USD, so 125USD wasn't that bad at all, just my 0.02 (so 124.98USD left :)).

I disagree :ph34r: Old does NOT mean cheap. The only thing that was HP related was the case. All other hardware has been updated and brand new except the motherboard. I have seen people sale stock DELL/HP/COMPAQ etc.. with single core and less ram for $150.00. I'm not in no rush to sale it. Again, the only thing used in the machine is the motherboard. Even the PSU is brand new. I can strip it down and make twice as much, but it takes too much time to sell parts individually. The ram cost about $80. I wasn't asking for no outrageous price, but 125.00 is a slap in the face. If I can't get the asking price, it will make one hell of a server for Windows 2000.

I can strip it down and make twice as much, but it takes too much time to sell parts individually.

That's all about how much you value your time.

But puntoMX has been IMHO a bit on the low side.

That rig is worth all of 130 US$ :whistle:.

You see, the point is not about value of the thingy, but a lot about WHO would be the prospective buyer, let's see:

• a gamer? No.
  • a business? No.
  • a grandma/grandpa? No.
  • a kid (see gamer above)? No.
  • a hobbyist interested in SOME of the parts? Yes, BUT he/she will want to attribute a value to only those parts, and will offer you at the most 125/130 US$
  • someone interested in EACH and EVERY of the parts? Yes. (the difficult part is finding him/her).

jaclaz

I can strip it down and make twice as much, but it takes too much time to sell parts individually.

That's all about how much you value your time.

You see, the point is not about value of the thingy, but a lot about WHO would be the prospective buyer, let's see:

• a gamer? No.
  • a business? No.
  • a grandma/grandpa? No.
  • a kid (see gamer above)? No.
  • a hobbyist interested in SOME of the parts? Yes, BUT he/she will want to attribute a value to only those parts, and will offer you at the most 125/130 US$
  • someone interested in EACH and EVERY of the parts? Yes. (the difficult part is finding him/her).

jaclaz

Thanks :sneaky: I'll just slap Windows 2000 Server on it, and call it a day. I have all the drivers for WinXP/2000 for it. I guess it is a piece of $h!+. I'll just take a hammer to it. JK :w00t:

I agree with the 1st estimate. Because (for instance) a Gig of DDR2 RAM is more expansive than a Gig of DDR3 doesn't mean a computer from 8 years ago is worth more than a recent one. If you can sell the parts, do it, and quick, but for the "old" computer as is, ebay is flooded with cheap PCs with far better specs.

The problem with that computer is that even fully upgraded, it is still 4 times slower than any 2nd hand PC from 2 years ago that you'd find for $250. Parts says good value but offer and demand says low value.

@puntoMX - It just got a little chilly in here (that's cold!). No assembly required? :lol:

Why assemble? Just old school workbenchstyle for indeed that extra cooling ;). Yes you are right, add up 25USD (30 minutes time so to say), total 140USD.

I disagree :ph34r: Old does NOT mean cheap. The only thing that was HP related was the case. All other hardware has been updated and brand new except the motherboard. I have seen people sale stock DELL/HP/COMPAQ etc.. with single core and less ram for $150.00. I'm not in no rush to sale it. Again, the only thing used in the machine is the motherboard. Even the PSU is brand new. I can strip it down and make twice as much, but it takes too much time to sell parts individually. The ram cost about $80. I wasn't asking for no outrageous price, but 125.00 is a slap in the face. If I can't get the asking price, it will make one hell of a server for Windows 2000.

New PSU, that is another 15USD, total 155USD. I never said that old is cheap; I like to play with old stuff and make it like new, improve, tweak and upgrade (mostly RAM) as much as I can. But next time, ask you self if it's worth your time and money, as you were doing all of this just to make a few bucks (look on ebay next time for RAM, I got 4GB DDR for under 30USD several times when I needed it (bought last time 50 sticks DDR2 PC5200U Kingston, all the same model for 6.5USD a stick.). Now, if the HDD is also new, it would make 175USD, that would be a reasonable price. I just see it as a new car with a second hand, 8 year older, engine in it (without slapping you in the face).

Don't rub it in :D.

Parts says good value but offer and demand says low value.

+1

By the way, you can build a new system for about 200USD, starting with ECS NM70-I v1.0 Intel Celeron 847 1.1GHz BGA1023 Intel NM70 Mini ITX Motherboard/CPU Combo, ad 4GB DDR3 SODIMM to it, 100USD total cost, 45USD for the case (ITX), 55USD for a HDD or SSD. Uses 1/3 of the power if not 1/4, faster in most apps, and all new. Just saying.

?

http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/Celeron_Dual-Core/Intel-Mobile%20Celeron%20847.html

http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/Pentium_D/Intel-Pentium%20D%20820%20HH80551PG0722MN%20%28BX80551PG2800FN%20-%20BX80551PG2800FT%29.html

http://www.cpu-world.com/Compare/800/Intel_Mobile_Celeron_Dual-Core_847_vs_Intel_Pentium_D_820.html

(The above compare MAY not work for you?)

From that point of view, yeah, I suppose so... But if it's a "keeper" and you can't sell it to buy all of those wonderful parts (some assembly required) you could just get one of these off of eBay -

http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/Pentium_D/Intel-Pentium%20D%20840%20HH80551PG0882MN%20%28BX80551PG3200FN%20-%20BX80551PG3200FT%29.html

I build mine "one part at a time" from local Used Parts/Goodwill/etc...

(sigh... this could go on fo-E-vah!)

Submix8c, you are the first to bite ;),

let me explain "why";

Step 1: The P4 dual core (Pentium D) at 2.8GHz will be beaten by a 1.6GHz Core 2 Duo. ( http://www.anandtech.com/show/2045/8 )

Step 2: The Core 2 Duo at 1.6GHz will be beaten by a 1.1GHz Sandy Bridge, mobile or not.

For example:

Step1: Pentium D 820 = 608 passmark VS. Pentium Dual E2140 = 899 passmark (cheap C2D) CHECK!

Step2: Pentium Dual E2140 = 899 passmark (cheap C2D) VS. Intel Celeron 847 = 1036 passmark (cheap Sandy bridge) MATE!

Soon my pocket PC/smartphone will have more balls than the P4 820 ;). Go figure, 2.8GHz dual core P4 has 60% of the "power" of an 1.1GHz dual core Sandy, sure, the P4 does heat up your computer-room at full power. Also don't forget that the new CPU has Virtualization as well.

I do like old computer stuff, don't get me wrong, but potential buyers would think twice like Ponch said.

BWAHAHAHA! Wasn't "biting" anything - it was obvious based on the simple "cpuworld compare". (witness the Watts, FSB rqmt i.e. RAM-speed, extra L3-Cache)

The point was some have no $ for a complete system build. If I had the $ I would recycle my E521 and build a Quad Core system. I've been using for the last 3 yrs the PC-Chips listed in the "Greater than 1GB" topic. Good thing Goodwill has a "used computer parts" shop inside - just bought a DVD Burner w/LightScribe+DVD-RAM for $5USD and didn't even have to wait for delivery or pay for it. ;)

RE - "Potential Buyers" - some just aren't bright enough to "build their own". :no: I see Craigslist "gamer-built" PC's for cheap all the time and nobody wants them. Yes, I CAN get $125USD for my "stock" E521 (Tower+DVD's) - already seen that. I will refuse to sell it w/ 2-320GB-HDD (upgraded) + Full-Multi-Burner (upgraded - not HD/BD) + PCI-e-Video (not yet obtained) + AMD5600 (not yet obtained) because the "standard buyer" is clueless as to "upgrades" and assumes "stock". and would therefore want to pay no more than $125USD. :yes: A "keeper" (gift from cousin) cheaper to "upgrade" (traded "parts"->HDD's). Heck, I even have an exact spare Mobo (free from brother - came w/Dual-Core3800 as opposed to "stock gifted" single-core)... Guess I got lucky on this one too (free mobo - eMachine w3650 then free "aftermarket" box from recycler dude) - http://www.cpu-upgrade.com/mb-ECS/945GCT-M3%28V3.0%29.html <-No buyer would pay more than $75->$100USD even after built/re-assembled (currently Celeron 440). :(

RE - "Server" - the price of Business Class ($) is through the roof, so a slower Upload Speed for "Home Class" is for the penny-wise/broke folks. Besides, I can "share" whole live band recordings (I made them during gigs, BTW) with friends/relatives without having to create a "free file account" (limited file sizes) somewhere. KEEP IT and load it unless you're hard-up...

Hope you get my point... B)

(back to sorting keep vs recycle - need the room space...)