KernelEx -- On building, debugging and related matters...

Drugwash

@ PROBLEMCHYLD:

Please provide the names (and links, if possible) to those applications that would not work with PDH.DLL, MSIMG32.DLL and PSAPI.DLL from KernelEx, so I could test them myself.

Currently I can build KernelEx but for some reason, one of its libraries (kexbases.dll) hangs my test system. I can replace it with Leyok's version, for testing purposes though.

http://www.zabbix.com/downloads/1.4.4/zabbix_agents_1.4.4.windows.i386.tar.gz

If you have the original versions in the system directory, delete PDH.DLL and PSAPI.DLL. Install KernelEx and try run zabbix_agentd.exe. After you done that, uninstall KernelEx and place PDH.DLL and PSAPI.DLL in system directory from SP3.CAB and you'll see the difference in errors. I haven't really found one for MSIMG32.DLL, but I would assume it has the same issues as the other files.

Guys, perhaps you should know that programs requiring pdh.dll need to be put at least in Windows 2000 compatibility mode.

And that zabbix program executes without pdh.dll error message with 4.5.2 in 2K compat mode. (Whether it's actually useable is another story)

Thanks loblo yes it does work in compatible mode. You have help solve part of the issue.

Screenshot 1 is with KernelEx installed and Screenshot 2 is without KernelEx installed. If I place the PDH.DLL from SP3.CAB file in the Windows\System directory without KEX, I do NOT get a PDH.DLL error. I get a PSAPI.DLL error. So I'm not sure the errors Drugwash is getting. So yes I can confirm the Windows version PDH.DLL does NOT cause problems and it does work. Like I said, this wasn't the only app, there are others. Screenshot 3 is the error I get when PDH.DLL is installed without KernelEx. This means I can't use certain apps because KEX forces Windows to use it build even though it don't work. I guess as long as we are running the latest browsers, then any other issues that arises doesn't matter. This is why I'm not a KEX power user and probably will never be..I though I could expand the SP with KernelEx but that is clearly not going to happen. I got it. Thanks guys :w00t:

Edited by PROBLEMCHYLD

I only tested it without KernelEx on the test machine, then opened it in Dependency Walker to see missing functions.

Then I tested it on main machine with KernelEx 4.5.2 installed, but no compatibility mode and it's thrown that PDH.DLL error. No further testing until loblo mentioned compatibility, at which point I ran it on my main machine and no error message popped up - only a brief DOS window that closed eight away and no running process in the background.

While profiling it through Dependency Walker, I could briefly see the word 'error' in the DOS window that pops up. Exit code is 0xFF.

Latest version working in Win9x appears to be 1.1 (1.1.7 sources available), which can be found on the Zabbix site, in the Old releases area. Actually, not even that one works in 98SE, either with default compatibility or Win2k compatibility. If it doesn't work, I don't need it. Period. :(

Edited by Drugwash

default compatibility or Win2k compatibility. If it doesn't work, I don't need it. Period. :(

Thats because its missing function in PSAPI.DLL. Thats the whole point of the project right? To do the impossible.

I was hoping if we got the missing functions implemented, then just maybe we have a shot at running it.

default compatibility or Win2k compatibility. If it doesn't work, I don't need it. Period. :(

Thats because its missing function in PSAPI.DLL. Thats the whole point of the project right? To do the impossible.

I was hoping if we got the missing functions implemented, then just maybe we have a shot at running it.

That thing, on the page I linked to above, in line with version 1.1 says "Windows i386". That's the first available version and it's quite old. Subsequent version says "Windows NT4,, XP, 2000, 2003, Vista" and then further versions say "Windows (all)". Well, obviously those guys never took into account that on this Earth there is an operating systems family (un)officially called Windows9x that a lot of people still use. Not even the first version of that thing was ever compatible with Windows9x. I've built the agent from the 1.1.7 sources yesterday; it got built right off the bat, with no changes whatsoever, under my 98SE+VC6. But it didn't work - neither in default mode, nor Win2k compatibility. The precompiled executables for version 1.1 didn't work either.

At this point, considering where things are going to on the bigger scale, I was thinking whether we wouldn't be better off taking XP, labeling it "Windows 98", changing to Classic Theme and get over with it. Because we sure go that way with all this "upgrading".

I wanna go another way: disect the newer standards, build 9x-compatible support for them and then build my own applications that are 100% 9x-compatible and 100% compatible with newer standards. Oh and of course 0% compatible with NT-based platforms - give'em a taste of their own medicine, why not!?

Of course, this is purely my personal opinion and it means no disrespect to anybody's work, here or elsewhere.

Hi Leyok,

EDIT : I implemented the native NTDLL C runtime functions, I will do a test release tomorrow.

Great to see your advances with KernelEx. :thumbup

... because the unicows.dll version U98SESP3 uses is 1.1.3790.0 (07/12/2004).

Is there a problem with version 1.1.3790.0? That's the version that's installed by 'unicows.exe' from MS.

Joe.

Changelog for this dev version :

- Added native NTDLL C runtime (like _strcmpi)

- Remade most of the unicode functions

- Fixed MemPanel showing the wrong cursor position

However, the GOM Player's about window is still not fixed, I don't actually know where it comes from, you're right, only the keyboard is working and the mouse is like "Frozen" (it can't interact with windows, but still can be moved).

I will see more of it.

@PROBLEMCHYLD, well, then forgive me, I don't really know why it crashes in unicows, since we are running the same version. Anyway, can we make a peace and stop flaming each other ?

I never really had a problem with you. I do forgive you because I don't know how to hold grudges and hate a person. Remember, when you have people like LoneCrusader and loblo who constantly adding fuel to the fire, we are always going to have problems. This forum has there favorites and them 2 are not mines and I know I'm not theirs. I apologize for disrespecting you on another forum and bad mouthing you since MSFN don't allow us to express our frustrations. So will you forgive me? I can work with you. In case you didn't know, I do have a lot of friends behind the scenes. I do respect you as a man, and it took courage to admit when you are wrong. We both was wrong. Lets learn from this and not let others break our unity and have us competing with each other.

Is the GitHub in sync with latest changes? I see latest commit was two days ago (at least by my side). I'll try to build sometime later, got some domestic chores to attend to right now.

I'm glad you found the problem with MemPanel, good job!:thumbup Out of curiosity: what was it exactly? I may try to perform some extra testing, to make sure everything's alright.

I'm sure GOM Player will come around at some point. Too bad they stopped supporting 98SE, but they apparently still keep ME in the boat so maybe we can trick it into installing on 98SE anyway, with help from KernelEx.

Oh and I love it when it's peace and understanding. Let's try and keep it that way, OK? B)

I'll be back! :D

I know we are all in different time zones, but Drugwash and Ley0k, I think we can probably get something going. I think we should grab a few testers from each one of our ends and work behind the scenes, since so many users are $h!+ starters. Its hard for any of us to focus when you have people in denial. You guys can get exclusive SP updates for testing. I wish rloew would chime in. He is a great programmer as well. He don't like all this taking sides and fighting and bickering. I don't either, but I'm not backing down and I wouldn't expect anyone else too either. Enough ranting. You guys let me know how you feel and we can go from there. If all goes well, I can extend the SP with extensions. I'm ready when you are. It really helps when users have multiple systems, so no one messes up their main one.

Edited by PROBLEMCHYLD

I'm glad you found the problem with MemPanel, good job!:thumbup Out of curiosity: what was it exactly? I may try to perform some extra testing, to make sure everything's alright.

I'm sure GOM Player will come around at some point. Too bad they stopped supporting 98SE, but they apparently still keep ME in the boat so maybe we can trick it into installing on 98SE anyway, with help from KernelEx.

For MemPanel, it was because of GetForegroundWindow_fix, I removed it from window.c, it retrieves the current foreground window from the thread's desktop current foreground window.

But the foreground on the desktop is only changed by a call of SetForegroundWindow_fix, and not from the USER's window manager directly.

GOM Player is like messed up on my side anyway, when I install it, it fails to call DllRegisterServer with "Could not load: GVF.ax, but I can still run it, however there are no languages, every strings are dashes.

If all goes well, I can extend the SP with extensions. I'm ready when you are. It really helps when users have multiple systems, so no one messes up their main one.

Do you mean you can extend the SP with extensions ? KernelEx is a separate package, and actually it has many incompatibilities, so you shouldn't.

And I'm glad we're back to normal talk ;)

Yes, I mean the SP. I mean updated system components addons whatever name you want to give it etc.....I meant this would be in the future once everything is stable. I found the GOM bug. I did this for you Drugwash. The bug is in VKRNLEX.VXD. I deleted this file, rebooted, got an error saying VKRNLEX.VXD was missing, blah blah. But the about GOM tabs worked. Also when you log off and re-log on, the system tray icons are missing. Also get a missing function with NETAPI32.DLL:NetGetDCName. I also got the DllRegisterServer you got Leyok. Edited by PROBLEMCHYLD