Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

KernelEx -- On building, debugging and related matters...

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
150 replies to this topic

loblo

loblo

Oldbie

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 758 posts
  • Joined 12-January 10

@ loblo: Good info! :) Apparently, XP uses the same location for its pseudo-DOS mode.

Unless I am completely mistaken, as I don't use that OS, I think XP uses a slightly different location which is HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Environment.

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

Drugwash

Drugwash

MSFN Expert

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,255 posts
  • Joined 21-June 06
Indeed, I missed the space there. :blushing: I don't have ME here but I looked through my 98SE and it has both subkeys, which is confusing enough. Probably some newer apps that run in 2000/XP compatibility through KernelEx, create/modify some of the keys and maybe newer system files that come with uSP create them, in the first place.

So in 98/ME it's SessionManager and in 2000/XP/later it's Session Manager. What a tiny space can do...

Edited by Drugwash, 10 March 2013 - 08:18 AM.

dencorso

dencorso

Adiuvat plus qui nihil obstat

• Supervisor
  • 5,872 posts
  • Joined 07-April 07

Donator

So in 98/ME it's SessionManager and in 2000/XP/later it's Session Manager.

Precisely. I confirm that. :yes:

PROBLEMCHYLD

PROBLEMCHYLD

The Resurrector for old Windows OS

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,528 posts
  • Joined 07-October 05
@ Leyok

I see you removed these functions DllInstall, DllRegisterServer and DllUnregisterServer. Not all users will use the WinME shell32.dll due to many reasons.

removed DllInstall/Dll**Server functions since Win98 can run WinME's …

…shell32.dll

Believe God is the Alpha and Omega.
Believe Jesus Christ died for our sins.
Repent for your sins now or there will be
BLOOD

The Path to God

U98SESP3 03-11-2013

Leyok

Leyok

• 40 posts
  • Joined 18-November 12
But then these Dll functions will still be stubs if you use the WinME shell32.dll in Win98.

PROBLEMCHYLD

PROBLEMCHYLD

• 2,528 posts
  • Joined 07-October 05

But then these Dll functions will still be stubs if you use the WinME shell32.dll in Win98.

You should have a file version check. Those functions are needed with a lot of programs.

BLOOD

The Path to God

U98SESP3 03-11-2013

jumper

jumper

2014 All-American Masters HJ'er

• PipPipPip
  • 477 posts
  • Joined 21-January 11
  • The SE version of Shell32.dll already exports DllInstall.
  • According to Ktree9, KernelEx 4.5.2 does not provide any of the three....

Design feedback requested:
IHAtool - IpHlpApi tester; call various functions and report results
--status-> framework is solid; 22 api's fully supported; preview release coming soon
ComDlg32 wrapper - ComDlgEx meets IpHlpApi wrapper
--status-> PrintDlgExW working in latest SumatraPDF 8^)
Future projects: ImportPatcher40 - dialog interface; Kexter - IP40+Ktree+Kexstubs

coolman

coolman

Junior

• Pip
  • 80 posts
  • Joined 02-November 12
Edit: Yes I know part of this has already been shown in this topic but I just want to post my outcomes.

I have finally compiled it with all the tools needed. But at some point VC++ 6 starts complaining about APPHELP.DLL and it can't be found but seems to continue with the process. However there are still a few files such as UXTHEME.DLL and WTSAPI32.DLL and WTSAPI.DLL and KEXBASEN.DLL and KEXBASES.DLL and USERENV.DLL and PSAPI.DLL that still don't get compiled successfully. APPHELP.DLL wasn't mentioned at all, but I'm still not sure if that file has to do with the creation of the files mentioned above. Some of the files are in the Debug folder and some in the Release folder. I had to make a few dummy 0 byte files of those and then the .NSI file would compile successfully but with the dummy files I created. I ran the installer and of course it told me KernelEx was not successfully installed. I'm going to try another experiment soon though.

After some research, the APPHELP.DLL issue is probably caused by the fact that this DLL is included with a newer version of Windows rather than Windows 98SE which is what I'm using to compile everything. I will try compiling it on a newer machine maybe.

For those who are interested, I have attached the setup file I compiled in a zipped archive.

Attached File  KernelEx-4.5.3-Beta1-Debug.7z   154.77KB   6 downloads

WARNING: Do not use this file on your main computer/system. It could potentially mess up your machine. Only use this on test computers.

BTW, could this project's .NSI file be compiled with the latest NSIS which is Version 2.46? Or is it designed specifically for NSIS 2.44?

Edited by coolman, 15 March 2013 - 11:31 PM.

Helicopters don't fly; they vibrate so much and make so much noise that the earth rejects them.
Oh blah, blah, blah, your needs!

Leyok

Leyok

• 40 posts
  • Joined 18-November 12
Did someone tested KernelEx on Windows ME?
The installer runs fine for me (which is normal because I have nothing installed on the system), and KernelEx runs fine.
I will try with a SP installed.

coolman

coolman

Junior

• Pip
  • 80 posts
  • Joined 02-November 12

The installer runs fine for me (which is normal because I have nothing installed on the system), and KernelEx runs fine.

I only tested it on ME, and I just got many system crashes and Scandisk errors after I installed. I had to disable SFP before installing.

However, there is a different compilation I just got from someone else that I just tested on 98SE and on reboot I got this:

<unknown>
This program has performed an illegal operation and will be shut down.
Quit all programs, and then restart your computer. If the problem persists, contact the program vendor.

It doesn't let me do ANYTHING. Even Ctrl+Alt+Del. It just stays on that message with the hourglass cursor. I can't click on anything, either. So I can't press Close or Details. I tried another reboot and got the same thing.

Edited by coolman, 16 March 2013 - 10:56 AM.

Helicopters don't fly; they vibrate so much and make so much noise that the earth rejects them.

coolman

coolman

Junior

• Pip
  • 80 posts
  • Joined 02-November 12

I tried your build on 98SE and ME. It told me on first reboot KernelEx was successfully installed. However whenever I try to open any instances of Explorer.exe (My Computer, Control Panel, Folders, etc.), it crashes. I did this without USP so I installed USP and I got the same errors.
Here is my Kernelex.log:

Spoiler

Edited by coolman, 23 March 2013 - 01:28 PM.

Leyok

Leyok

• 40 posts
  • Joined 18-November 12
I had crash too because the unicows version doesn't match with the KernelEx one, this has been fixed, I have no more crashes on my side, using Windows ME with Unofficial SP2 and RP9.

Recompile and try again, I hope there are no more crashes :)

Edited by Leyok, 16 March 2013 - 02:50 PM.

coolman

coolman

Junior

• Pip
  • 80 posts
  • Joined 02-November 12

I had crash too because the unicows version doesn't match with the KernelEx one, this has been fixed, I have no more crashes on my side, using Windows ME with Unofficial SP2 and RP9.

Recompile and try again, I hope there are no more crashes :)

I'm still getting the errors about not finding certain DLL files like KEXBASEN.DLL, etc. They don't seem to be created and NSI cannot compile something successfully without having compiled data already. It still complains about APPHELP.DLL. I'm still getting that same thing that happened before about not being able to execute files like rc.exe or link.exe to find KernelEx.lib in the common folder. I believe those files have to do with the building of KEXBASEN.DLL, KEXBASES.DLL, etc. I added the correct lines to autoexec.bat and the right directories to the options in VC++.
Here's the compile log:

Spoiler

I found KernelEx.lib in core\release and placed it in the common folder. Then I tried compiling again and I got the same APPHELP.DLL error but then it installed successfully and no more crashes are happening! This is working OK so far, I'm going to try some apps.
Here's the new compile log:

Spoiler

The new build, you can use this safely!
Attached File  KernelEx-dev.7z   259.32KB   9 downloads

dencorso

dencorso

Adiuvat plus qui nihil obstat

• Supervisor
  • 5,872 posts
  • Joined 07-April 07

Donator

@coolman: with all due respect, if you must post those ginormous logs instead of zipping and attachiing them, do please use "spoiler" tags (instead of "code" tags). Thanks!

PROBLEMCHYLD

PROBLEMCHYLD

• 2,528 posts
  • Joined 07-October 05

Attached File  KernelEx-dev.7z   259.32KB   9 downloads

This installed ok with SP3.19. When I run FrontPage Express, the system hangs. NETAPI32.DLL stub seems to be missing. Good work :thumbup

BLOOD

The Path to God

U98SESP3 03-11-2013

piotrhn

piotrhn

• 43 posts
  • Joined 17-July 06

Hi,

I Installed on Win98 SE EN + uSP3.19, but still are errors. When i click Right Mouse Button, at desktop on any file or folder. Windows crash with unicows.dll.
KernelEx doesn't create a LOG file. Thanks.

Spoiler

Windows ME crash, when i click on start - Right Mouse Button.
Attached File  WATSON21.rar   59.01KB   4 downloads

Edited by piotrhn, 17 March 2013 - 05:50 AM.

schwups

schwups

schwups

• PipPipPip
  • 417 posts
  • Joined 11-November 09

KernelEx-dev.7z (259.32K)

Hello coolman,

did you compile Xeno's from the SourceForge Repo?

Leyok

Leyok

• 40 posts
  • Joined 18-November 12
I fixed the unicows and kexbases crashes.
Let me know if you have any problems...

Log file will be created in C:\WINDOWS\KernelEx, called KernelEx.log.

Edited by Leyok, 20 March 2013 - 08:46 AM.

PROBLEMCHYLD

PROBLEMCHYLD

• 2,528 posts
  • Joined 07-October 05

I fixed the unicows and kexbases crashes.
Let me know if you have any problems...

Log file will be created in C:\WINDOWS\KernelEx, called KernelEx.log.

Frontpage Express hangs with your version and netapi32.dll is nowhere to be found. This was test on a clean install with SP3.19 with all options installed.

BLOOD

The Path to God

U98SESP3 03-11-2013

Drugwash

Drugwash

MSFN Expert

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,255 posts
  • Joined 21-June 06
@PROBLEMCHYLD: netapi32.dll is a standard Win9x library, should be found on the installation CD (WIN98_38.CAB) and should get installed with the network card or something. I got it installed on the test machine without touching additional files or anything - just installing drivers, configuring local network and installing a slightly older version of uSP3.

@Leyok: no matter what I do, I can't get a working version compiled from the Github source. All files do compile fine (using my slightly modified project files) but upon reboot there's the usual machine hang and nothing more but a mouse cursor on a desktop picture with no Explorer or desktop icons. I've built the same project under 98SE and XP-SP3, using VC6 and 98DDK; only difference is 98SE has NSIS 2.46 while XP has NSIS 2.44. None of my versions would create the debug log.

The package you posted above does install succesfully but it exhibits some strange bahavior: couldn't use the mouse buttons anymore in GOM Player after displaying the About window; only through keyboard was I able to close that dialog.

Neither the 98SE nor the XP builds match the file sizes from your package. There must be some differences here - are you by chance using the Win2000 DDK? I just can't get to the bottom of this and it's driving me crazy. :(

Here's both outputs from 98SE and XP-SP3 (separate files and NSIS installers): 98SE XP-SP3

Edited by Drugwash, 17 March 2013 - 02:24 PM.

Leyok

Leyok

• 40 posts
  • Joined 18-November 12

Frontpage Express hangs with your version and netapi32.dll is nowhere to be found. This was test on a clean install with SP3.19 with all options installed.

I fixed most hangs and netapi32.dll is now in kexbasen.

@Leyok: no matter what I do, I can't get a working version compiled from the Github source. All files do compile fine (using my slightly modified project files) but upon reboot there's the usual machine hang and nothing more but a mouse cursor on a desktop picture with no Explorer or desktop icons. I've built the same project under 98SE and XP-SP3, using VC6 and 98DDK; only difference is 98SE has NSIS 2.46 while XP has NSIS 2.44. None of my versions would create the debug log.

The package you posted above does install succesfully but it exhibits some strange bahavior: couldn't use the mouse buttons anymore in GOM Player after displaying the About window; only through keyboard was I able to close that dialog.

Neither the 98SE nor the XP builds match the file sizes from your package. There must be some differences here - are you by chance using the Win2000 DDK? I just can't get to the bottom of this and it's driving me crazy. :(

Here's both outputs from 98SE and XP-SP3 (separate files and NSIS installers): 98SE XP-SP3

Attach KernelEx.log (from C:\WINDOWS\KernelEx), I want to see what's wrong.
I don't really know what's the problem with the invalid directory thing, the post-build only copy KernelEx.lib to the common folder in the root project directory.

WkspDir=.
SOURCE="$(InputPath)"
PostBuild_Cmds=copy /Y "$(OutDir)\KernelEx.lib" "$(WkspDir)\common"

You can also add "echo $(WkspDir)" and "echo $(ProjDir)" in the Post-Build option to see their values. I never tried to put KernelEx in a path that contains space, I don't know if it's a problem.

Edited by Leyok, 17 March 2013 - 03:18 PM.

Drugwash

Drugwash

MSFN Expert

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,255 posts
  • Joined 21-June 06
As mentioned above, none of my own compiled Debug versions would create a log. Following are 3 subsequent pieces of a single log created by your version posted above.
First chunk is from boot to moments before opening GOM Player 2.1.43.5119 (Total Commander was launched during this time).
Second chunk is from GOM startup to GOM forced kill (since it also got hung after an Alt+Tab).
Third chunk is after killing GOM process.

The same 'invalid directory error' happens to me all the time with the original project files, reason why I'm using the modified ones that do not move any files but just pick the right ones (hopefully) from their current locations. There is no space in my project path (D:\free\KernelEx-master8)

Spoiler

Edited by Drugwash, 17 March 2013 - 06:27 PM.

Leyok

Leyok

• 40 posts
  • Joined 18-November 12
I fixed most hangs and netapi32 and Frontpage Express is now working.

Here is the build :)

Edited by Leyok, 23 March 2013 - 12:09 PM.

piotrhn

piotrhn

• 43 posts
  • Joined 17-July 06

I fixed most hangs and netapi32 and Frontpage Express is now working.

Here is the build :)

Hi, helpctr.exe crash on Windows Me + USP3
Spoiler

Leyok

Leyok

• 40 posts
  • Joined 18-November 12
Can you tell me where it crash (dll + base address) and how can I reproduce this ?

Edited by Leyok, 18 March 2013 - 03:20 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

How to remove advertisement from MSFN