Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

KernelEx -- On building, debugging and related matters...

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
149 replies to this topic

Drugwash

Drugwash

MSFN Expert

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,237 posts
Better yet - here's a package with both Debug and Release installers: download

EDIT:
After building latest code and replacing kexbases with the one in Leyok's package, I noticed Total Commander 7 loses the drag'n'drop ability between panels. Disabling KernelEx for its executable, fixes the issue.

Edited by Drugwash, 03 April 2013 - 01:13 AM.

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

Leyok

Leyok

• 40 posts
@Drugwash : I'll see later with your build.

Fixed every "memory error" and most apps that hang because of the new GetWindow (which is temporarily removed because of many bugs).
I didn't tried Total Commander 7, but it should be fine.

I didn't forget about the Firefox installation bug, I will try to find a solution.

New build:

Attached Files

Edited by Leyok, 04 April 2013 - 04:16 PM.

coolman

coolman

Junior

• Pip
  • 80 posts

@Drugwash : I'll see later with your build.

Fixed every "memory error" and most apps that hang because of the new GetWindow (which is temporarily removed because of many bugs).
I didn't tried Total Commander 7, but it should be fine.

I didn't forget about the Firefox installation bug, I will try to find a solution.

New build:

Thanks Leyok! The Firefox installer actually goes faster in this one, but it still doesn't complete the installation.
Helicopters don't fly; they vibrate so much and make so much noise that the earth rejects them.
Oh blah, blah, blah, your needs!

Drugwash

Drugwash

MSFN Expert

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,237 posts
Up until now I was able to access the test machine through local network even when it was stuck at boot time; after later commits (zip package downloaded on April 5th at about 1:40 UTC) I can no longer access the machine, although it appears in the Network Neighborhood list. And yes, it still hangs at boot, but I cannot get the log directly anymore. :(

Leyok

Leyok

• 40 posts

Up until now I was able to access the test machine through local network even when it was stuck at boot time; after later commits (zip package downloaded on April 5th at about 1:40 UTC) I can no longer access the machine, although it appears in the Network Neighborhood list. And yes, it still hangs at boot, but I cannot get the log directly anymore. :(

Check apilibs\kexbases\User32\winsta.c it should have 595 lines.

Do you delete every files before adding the new files from the github package?
And be sure to place binaries from output-i386/Debug to C:\WINDOWS\KernelEx.

And it would be more preferable to test on a virtual machine.

Edited by Leyok, 06 April 2013 - 04:46 AM.

Drugwash

Drugwash

MSFN Expert

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,237 posts
It's 595 lines - none more, none less.

I always delete the whole existing folder and then unpack the one from the zip (can't remember how many times I said that already). I never use Explorer and I know how to manipulate files and folders.

Files are always deployed by the installer i build. A few posts up there's a package with both installers, you said you'd check them out. All files are deployed correctly - simply replacing kexbases.dll makes everything work.

Virtual machine is too complicated - I have spare hardware to test with, why waste HDD space? I can get the log in Safe Mode, but it's useless, it always says the same thing, over and over again. Just the line number is changed, it's 298 now, not 296 as it was previously.

Maybe the code needs rebased, maybe you have some particular settings in Visual Studio or in the project, that don't get propagated in the GitHub. I don't know, but fact is everything I build works, except for KernelEx. I've just built Miranda IM 0.10.12.0 this morning, both ANSI and Unicode, on my 98SE machine and the Unicode version works without problems on the XP machine while the ANSI is working on the test machine. That's pretty much code there, if there was something wrong with my setup I'd get errors, crashes, whatever.

coolman

coolman

Junior

• Pip
  • 80 posts

It's 595 lines - none more, none less.

I always delete the whole existing folder and then unpack the one from the zip (can't remember how many times I said that already). I never use Explorer and I know how to manipulate files and folders.

Files are always deployed by the installer i build. A few posts up there's a package with both installers, you said you'd check them out. All files are deployed correctly - simply replacing kexbases.dll makes everything work.

Virtual machine is too complicated - I have spare hardware to test with, why waste HDD space? I can get the log in Safe Mode, but it's useless, it always says the same thing, over and over again. Just the line number is changed, it's 298 now, not 296 as it was previously.

Maybe the code needs rebased, maybe you have some particular settings in Visual Studio or in the project, that don't get propagated in the GitHub. I don't know, but fact is everything I build works, except for KernelEx. I've just built Miranda IM 0.10.12.0 this morning, both ANSI and Unicode, on my 98SE machine and the Unicode version works without problems on the XP machine while the ANSI is working on the test machine. That's pretty much code there, if there was something wrong with my setup I'd get errors, crashes, whatever.

This isn't happening to me at all.. I can't seem to figure out what's going on with your builds. Try to upload your most current build with the newest GitHub repository and I'll see if I have the same problem as you are having.

Edited by coolman, 06 April 2013 - 10:07 AM.

Helicopters don't fly; they vibrate so much and make so much noise that the earth rejects them.

coolman

coolman

Junior

• Pip
  • 80 posts
I've just made the new build, and on shutdown, it just gives me this after clearing the screen:
Posted Image
But then it shuts down normally. I thought it might just be a one time thing. But now it's happening every time I shutdown. I can't seem to find the registry key that is causing this.
Anyway, new build:
Download
You're welcome.

Edited by coolman, 07 April 2013 - 03:24 PM.

Drugwash

Drugwash

MSFN Expert

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,237 posts
Here's a package with both builds, from code pulled right after this commit:
Download

With this build, upon first reboot after installation, I was again able to access the test machine through network, even though it was hung as always showing only the wallpaper and mouse cursor. This time Revolutions Pack 9.7.2 was installed, as I wanted to test if there's any change in behavior (I also have a video issue with 32bit transparency that I wanted to check). Here's the KernelEx log for the Debug build linked above:
Spoiler

mcv93us

mcv93us

• 49 posts
Hi, I tried to install the latest version of Kernelex posted by Leyok on a clean installation of Windows 98 and the installation is successful!
I then tried to use the MPC (Media Player Classic v6.4.0.1 build 114, version no longer supported for Win98 and it works only with kernelex) but it crashes with an error in the DLL unicows.dll!
In the other configuration I use I installed the kernelex 4.5.1 and does not give me any problems using MPC (which I use for several years now).
For the test I used a clean version of Win98 with installed direct x 9.0c (used by MPC) and the file unicows.dll (directly from Microsoft).
What should I do?

Thank you for the work you are carrying out!

coolman

coolman

Junior

• Pip
  • 80 posts

Download

With this build, upon first reboot after installation, I was again able to access the test machine through network, even though it was hung as always showing only the wallpaper and mouse cursor. This time Revolutions Pack 9.7.2 was installed, as I wanted to test if there's any change in behavior (I also have a video issue with 32bit transparency that I wanted to check). Here's the KernelEx log for the Debug build linked above:

Spoiler

Thanks, I'll try these tomorrow!

coolman

coolman

Junior

• Pip
  • 80 posts

Download

Spoiler

Sorry for not replying sooner, I couldn't get around to it until now.
I tried both your builds, and they both worked fine. I wasn't experiencing the same problems you were.

Edited by coolman, 09 April 2013 - 02:50 PM.

Drugwash

Drugwash

MSFN Expert

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,237 posts
No problem, thanks for testing!
Have you by chance tried it with uSP3 installed? At this point, it's either a conflict with an updated system component, or a hardware/driver incompatiblity. I know the SiS chipsets are quite lousy, but this would be a little bit too much.

Sometime these days I'll see if I can put together another machine for testing, with different hardware. However, if this turns out to be a hardware/driver issue, it better get fixed, as there may be others out there with similar setup and thus similar problems.

Anybody else tested my latest builds?
Anybody else having similar problems with any builds at all (Leyok's, coolman's, mine)?

schwups

schwups

schwups

• PipPipPip
  • 409 posts
@Drugwash: I tried your latest release build of the 07.April on Win ME without SP, but with RevolutionsPack. The first error message says "Mprexe error in kernel32.dll" after the restart. Your Kexbases.dll is in error state for me, too (checked with Ktree).

@ Leyok and @coolman: I'm not clear with your builds on my systems. I think, I get plenty of problems. Good: KernelEX verifies successfully. But I can't get access to the the systray, the QuickLaunch and the Startmenu. If I hover over them I see the hourglass. If I click on a Desktop shortcut I get the message, that the explorer caused an error in unicows.dll. Many apps don't start or have odd glitches. For example I'm not able to start a browser, if KernelEX is enabled for it: Firefox  => Kernel32.dll; Opera => SHLWAPI.dll.

If I've more time I'll report more and details.

BTW: The compression of the 7z build of Leyok isn't supported by 7Zip 4.65. The newer version 9.20 unpacks it. :hello:

Drugwash

Drugwash

MSFN Expert

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,237 posts
Thank you for testing and confirmation.

I noticed the 7-zip compatibility issue too - I use an assortment of packer plug-ins for Total Commander and the one for 7-zip created by Ono (Adam Strzelecki) is very old (last updated in 2007, newer versions are Unicode only), incompatible with Leyok's packages. The standalone 7-zip (I have 9.25 alpha currently) works fine though.

schwups

schwups

schwups

• PipPipPip
  • 409 posts

But I can't get access to the the systray, the QuickLaunch and the Startmenu. If I hover over them I see the hourglass. If I click on a Desktop shortcut I get the message, that the explorer caused an error in unicows.dll.

I found out, that these problems are related to the ME GDI Q289635 GER (GDI.exe & GDI32.dll 4.90.0.3001) update and ME user Q280800 GER (USER.exe & USER32.dll 4.90.0.3001) update. Obviously there is a incompatibility. Test system now: ME, KernelEX build Leyok 04.April.13, without RevolutionsPack.

MiKl

MiKl

• PipPip
  • 106 posts
Is there a stable version available now ?? Best, MiKl

PROBLEMCHYLD

PROBLEMCHYLD

The Resurrector for old Windows OS

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,528 posts

Is there a stable version available now ?? Best, MiKl

Nope, and the future doesn't look promising atm ;)

Believe God is the Alpha and Omega.
Believe Jesus Christ died for our sins.
Repent for your sins now or there will be
BLOOD

The Path to God

U98SESP3 03-11-2013

MiKl

MiKl

• PipPip
  • 106 posts

Any news ?? What happended to Leyok ?

schwups

schwups

schwups

• PipPipPip
  • 409 posts

:hello: I know just as little as you. I think Leyok worked hard for many weeks and had spent much time. Developing and testing of KernelEX requires a lot of effort. I guess, either Leyok has no more time or had too little support of us. My mistake: I didn't post log files.   :unsure:

Edited by schwups, 22 September 2013 - 06:32 AM.

Zoinkity

Zoinkity

Junior

• Pip
  • 63 posts

One problem with the debug builds versus the official one is that folders are not automatically refreshing.  This does cause problems if you forget to Ctrl+R after renaming a file or directory, since it uses the old name to do the lookup.

This happens both on my old box and under virtual console, and this doesn't happen when reverting to the old 4.5 release.

Otherwise, the system thread concept is very good, and I like the increased compatibility.

trevor89

trevor89

Junior

• Pip
  • 58 posts

Would this topic not be better served now as a new beta KernelEx 4.6 thread with changelog and compiled version for download on first post?
Just a suggestion now that the compile problem seems to be addressed "On building, debugging and related matters..."

I guess maybe the thread title includes related matters, in which case, maybe just me second point, keep the 1st post up to date :)

Trev

Posted Image

Drugwash

Drugwash

MSFN Expert

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,237 posts

Compilation problems may have been addressed in regard to Leyok's repository, however the resulting code does not function correctly - either does not verify, freezes machine or crashes. At least on my side. That while the original 4.5.2 code compiles and functions correctly in the same environment.

Besides, unless I'm in the dark, there has been no activity at Leyok's repository for about five months now. Nobody else seems to be skilled and willing enough to take over, so there's practically nothing worthy of announcement in first post or elsewhere other than the project being currently abandoned.

trevor89

trevor89

Junior

• Pip
  • 58 posts
Yeah, I have just Installed (and forced to uninstall back to 4.5.2) the new 4.6 but it crashed explorer, messenger, ie, and games.

one message was
KernelEx Base Non-shared Api Library used a system resource improperly.

Module Name: KEXBASEN.DLL
Description: KernelEx Base Non-shared Api Library
Version: 4, 5, 12, 0
Product: KernelEx
Manufacturer: Xeno86

Application Name: Msnmsgr.exe
Description: MSN Messenger
Version: 7.0.0820
Product: MSN Messenger
Manufacturer: Microsoft Corporation

Another was that unicows overran its temporary memory area.

After downgrading everything works again.

Tell you what I did notice with the new build, a froxen app now says "(Unresponsive)" as uposed to normal "(Not Responding)"
Also the ctrl-alt-del dialoge is ... well, not the first dialoge, but the one to end task or cancle has been re-worded.

On shutdown I noticed a new box telling me windows was shutting down

Pitty about development, the work seemed good.

Trev
Posted Image

vash32

vash32
  • 1 posts

Any more development being done on this? I'm sure you guys are working on it, just like to make sure is all.

Anyway great work on what is done.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

1 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

MiKl

How to remove advertisement from MSFN