How to edit registry so that it doesn't need to restart before ins

Gibbs

After doing a repair install of my Windows XP PRO /SP3, I tried to upgrade to Windows Media Player 11. It keeps failing and says that I need to restart my computer. This also happened with Internet Explorer 8. The message I get was "Windows Internet Explorer cannot install because another program or update is waiting to restart your computer. Restart your computer and run this setup again." I have repeatedly restarted my computer.

MS Updates don't download and install, even after trying several Microsoft programs -> Fix It, and after downloading a new Windows Update Agent 3.0 (which did download AND install). Other programs can install without issue, just NOT the ones from Microsoft, like Media Player 11 and so on. Here is an example of what I get, even now (3-10-13)

post-375099-0-44739700-1362944097_thumb.

I have searched the registry for file rename keys and also searched for anything that might be asking for the system to restart. I find nothing. Tried a lot of ideas from searching on how to update, including I have deleted the Update cache and registered all the necessary update dll s including the wups2.dll and to no success.

Would really like to use IE 8 (again) and use Media Player 11 so that I can use my Amazon UnBox to view a paid for downloaded TV show.

Vern

Ideas????

Maybe a new registry entry somewher that says in the D-WORD "IngorePendingRestart" with a value of 1. Something along those lines.

Edited by Gibbs

Let me get this straight... you did a Repair Install and did NOT reboot afterwards? Bad juju! You MUST do that so it can "clean" itself as the Repair Install WILL overlay ALL previous files found within the XPSP3 CD's I386 folder.

Did you do it this way? Also note the "In Place Upgrade" link. In either case, you have to revalidate (WGA).

Please note that IE8 and WMP11 may still reside within Add/Remove Programs.

I note that you have posted here as well and now see the problem you're having.

Try the Slipstream using nLite to slipstream EVERYTHING including IE8 using the list and instructions here and find the WMP11 Slipstreamer. For the WMP11 Slipstreamer, Google these things individually

"media player 11" slipstreamer

"media player 11" slipstreamer site:msfn.org

Note that you CAN slipstream WMP11 FIRST using the Slipstreamer (along with the appropriate Hotfixes) and THEN use nLite with the above -X- files/instructions and be fully up-to-date (by using the generated CD for the Repair). Of course you WON'T be able to uninstall anything "slipstreamed" after slipstreaming.

nLite Screenshots. Do NOT do any Tweaking at ALL (use all Defaults)! Only Fixes and the IE8/WMP11! You may, if you wish, add your Drivers.

edit -

I have no clue as to whether this will work (for WMP11 - click "spoiler") -

Fixing MS Updates (also unsure - is this what you used?) -

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/943144

Fixing IE7/IE8 (also unsure) -

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/917964

Edited by submix8c

submix8c THANKS for the info. A curious question. On the link that shows the IE8 link, I have downloaded it and it created a .z file for me. In this link, however, it says to pay attention to foot notes 4. 5. and 6. Which are:

If you're slipstreaming IE8, replace WindowsXP-KB2761465-x86-ENU.exe with IE8-WindowsXP-KB2761465-x86-ENU.exe.

If you're slipstreaming IE8, replace WindowsXP-KB2510581-x86-ENU.exe with IE8-WindowsXP-KB2510531-x86-ENU.exe.

If you're slipstreaming IE8, replace WindowsXP-KB2797052-x86-ENU.exe with IE8-WindowsXP-KB2797052-x86-ENU.exe.

Not sure about the instructions to replace them in the expanded IE8 insall file that N-lite will use. Where do I find out how to replace these files?

Vern

Yes, I've rebooted the system several times. I have found nothing that doesn't work, except for installing IE8, SP3, MP11 and so on. Other programs install and work fine. Even my .flv files work fine. Before I did the repair I used tweak-ui to move the folder "MY DOCUMENT" to my one other hard drive (I have 3) and My Favorites and email database is alreay on drive G (another of my internal hard drives). All my favorites work, except now if I click on one of the links, or say go to www.google.com The program Firefox ver. 19 opens up and I have Google. Before at least I could go to update site and get the message that I needed to reboot to download and install updates. Curiously all my html seems to work in my email for links (opens Firefox) as well as in my Pop Peeper (email fetcher) program. Even html imgaes appear in Pop Peeper now as well as in Outlook Express. Just clicking a link in IE6 send it straight away to Firefox. Perhaps with the N-lite slipstreamed with IE8 and if I can find Windows Media Player 11 as the same .z file that would be great. I have created a burnable ISO files using N-lite last night with Ryan's "Updates" and the IE8 files as N-lite accepted them. Could not seem to get it to accept Windows Media Player 11, even though I have WMP11 as a compressed exe file and even unpaced it and still did not accept it. Perhaps I need to find the WMP 11 Slipstreamer you suggested.

Vern

Many thanks!!!

The IE8-WindowsXP-KB2761465-x86-ENU.exe, IE8-WindowsXP-KB2510531-x86-ENU.exe, and IE8-WindowsXP-KB2797052-x86-ENU.exe are links to the files. Are you slipstreaming all the files that the UDC script downloads/makes for you?

In addition, what do you mean by "Yes, I've rebooted the system several times. I have found nothing that doesn't work, except for installing IE8, SP3, MP11 and so on."? You specifically stated in the first post "After doing a repair install of my Windows XP PRO /SP3...". This implies (together) that the ORIGINAL CD does NOT contain SP3.

Please look here (nLite FAQ) and read some.

Be aware of what the requirements are for nLite as far as a source. Also be aware that IF this is an OEM with SP2 CD source that PROBABLY any alterations done by the OEM will be overlaid with SP3 during Service Pack integration via nLite. In addition, using an OEM SP2 source will UNDOUBTEDLY eliminate the usage of many other OEM files (e.g. Drivers) and POTENTIALLY certain files in a (possibly) existing I386\SVCPACK folder may cause problems. HOWEVER, certain workarounds exist to eliminate the "extra" files you may have in the end result.

Side notes:

You'll need 7-Zip (free) to unzip the IE8 Add-On Creator. Google it, get it, and install it.

Don't forget the WMP11 Integrator...

For WMP11 - after running the -X- Downloader, MOVE any "WindowsXP-WindowsMedia-KBxxxxxxx-x86-ENU.cab" files to "elsewhere" (they are for MP9) and get the OFFICIAL MediaPlayer11 Installer and Hotfix files:

wmp11-windowsxp-x86-enu.exe

WindowsXP-WindowsMedia-KB954155-x86-ENU.exe

WindowsXP-WindowsMedia-KB973540-x86-ENU.exe

WindowsXP-WindowsMedia-KB975558-x86-ENU.exe

WindowsXP-WindowsMedia-KB978695-x86-ENU.exe

WindowsXP-WindowsMedia-KB2378111-x86-ENU.exe

Use the above with the Integrator. I've been led to believe that IF you put the Integrator in the nLite folder that it will AUTOMATICALLY use the Integrator for the above files.

Service Pack 3 (in case you need it?)

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=24

Curiosity Question, have you tried the three "solutions" I provided?

Final note - there is a way out of this with the nLite method and -X- Hotfix Downloader (directly from the source). I guess you must have noticed that it's a SMALL package (no Hotfix files inside)?

edit - using the WHOLE -X- Downloader is unnecessary IF you don't desire all of the hotfixes installed BUT you may as well since you already have a bolloxed install. BUT you should AT MINIMUM integrate SP3, MP11, and IE8 (all without any of the Hotfixes) according to the instructions. They will become a permanent part of the generated Install.

edit2 - DOH! The FAQ lists SP3 Link and -X- link as well. Here is nLite -

http://www.nliteos.com/

edit3 - BE AWARE that IE8 is an (generated) ADD-ON!!!! Add-Ons are added as if they are Hotfixes in nLite. In addition, the above MP9 I indicated to NOT use are ADD-ONS's as well (in addition to the OTHER CAB files generated from the -X- Downloader).

Edited by submix8c

???

NO! Why would you rename them? Use that IE8 AddOn Creator to CREATE the Addon with the files. Rename NOTHING!

I think you're confused - THIS says to download the Add-On Creator and use it along WITH the IE8 Installer AND the 3 Hotfixes listed - do this in a SEPARATE folder than -X- Downloader. The resultant Add-On output will be used when RUNNING nLite via "Hotfixes" tab.

IE8 Installer is here -

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=43

Have you downloaded nLite yet? (see screenshots link I gave).

Media Player 11 here -

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=8163

Hotfixes for MP11 - Google the KBxxxxx along with "XP" to get the links for them.

Edited by submix8c

Submix8c, I do have N-lite installed (recent versioni) And I have an origianl XP Pro (Retail) CD I use as a source and used a SP3 download (long ago) for making a slipstreamed CD with SP3 on it. I used a program at that time, and recently called "Auto Streamer". It makes the slipstream and all went well in installing. All my programs DO work, I can copy/paste, move to other drives and directories even on our network, and for all purposes looking at it, nothing wrong.... except to install IE8, WMplayer 11 and even if I tried to "over-install" SP3 I get the prompt that there is a file or program that need for the computer to restart o finish and come back later and run setup again. I just burned a CD on my computer (at lunch time) using Nero 6 and the ISO that N-lite had made the night before. That CD was with a slipstreamed/intigrated manually with addons that N-lite found for the Internet Explorer and the update from the Ryan VM site as well, and it took those quite well.

Um.... seriously - use the ORIGINAL CD, start from scratch, use the IE8 Add-On Creator indicated, the WMP11 Integrator, along with both IE8 and WMP11 Installers and the associated Hotfixes. Using RyanVM (anything) along with nLite may not produce what you expected.

nLite does NOT "find" anything on the internet and it's UNSAFE to mix/match this stuff! You should follow OUR instructions!

You MUST start from scratch and use JUST what is listed above to succeed. Otherwise, we can't help you. RVM Updates may or may NOT successfully work. That's the reason you were given the instructions above.

Situation is similar to NOT mixing 98SESP3 and any OTHER method of updating Windows 98SE. Things "break". nLite ALTERS many INF files and can NOT alter them IF they are ALREADY altered - things break. ;)

Ok... start from scratch and use the Origial disk and the SP3 file. The n-lite program didn't "find" anyting on the internet, but did utilize, or rather recognice that accumulatons of hotfixes as an add-on, along with IE8 updated. It did not search anything on the interent. What I did with the SP3 file was put in in a folder called SP3 and then used commands at the "RUN" prompt to integrate SP3 into the "ROOT" folder I have in my c:\OS\ROOT folder there is also c:\OS\SP3 as well.

1 - Download the -X- UDC file, extract somewhere, and run it

2 - MOVE the IE6 Hotfixes listed in -X- instructions and the MediaPlayer CABS I indicated to "elsewhere"

3 - Download the IE8 AddOn Creator (on -X- website) somewhere and extract somewhere else

4 - Using the IE8 Installer and the listed THREE IE8 Hotfixes (they need downloaded), run the IE8 AddOn Creator. This will produce the IE8 AddOn

5 - Download the WMP11 Integrator somewhere and COPY it into the nLite folder

6 - Have the SP3 Installer available somewhere

7 - Run nLite, selecting the SP2 CD

8 - Select Integrate Service Pack and Hotfixes

9 - Point to the SP3 file

10 - Point to and select ALL Hotfixes in the -X- Folder

- NOTE: do NOT have the original UDC.ZIP file in it!!!

11 - Point to the Generated IE8 Add-On

12 - Point to the MP11 Installer and the Hotfixes I indicated (you need to find and download them)

13 - Let nLite do its thing - it DOES create an ISO - BURN that

DONE! Everything properly integrated.

Do NOT use ANY other files from ANYWHERE or the Integration will BREAK! I have done this and I assure you it DOES work. Do NOT select ANY other option in nLite at ALL!!! Including ANY "Unattended". There is a certain setting that will BREAK Recovery Console (can't remember which), but other than that it DOES work!

Note: All files (EXE including CAB AddOns) except the SP3 are "inserted" in the Hotfix box.

Side note: nLite "cleans up" the SP3 integration. ;)

EDIT!!!! See this -

http://www.nliteos.com/faq.html#Q19

You MUST set this to have the Repair Options when booting from CD, otherwise, you SHOULD be able to run the burned CD as an "over-the-top" Install. see that link I gave on "how-to", particularly this (basically) an "Upgrade" -

http://michaelstevenstech.com/xp_in_place_upgrade.htm

EDIT2 - ARGGG!!! It's the Unattended section in WINNT.SIF. How to remove during nLite execution (before ISO creation) READ IT!

Edited by submix8c

Finally found the slipstreamer for Windows Media Player 11 here: http://www.upgradenrepair.com/Downloads/windowsmedia/mpslipstreamxp.htm Thought it would be remiss if I did not share this link. Got there from the information and instructions of this link: http://www.upgradenrepair.com/Software/wm11slipstream/slipstream.htm

Yes, I have downloaded X-UDC file and extracted it.

Yes, I also downloaded and run the IE8 AddOn Creator as well before you posted. Could be that most of what I did is alright.

Now, just need to set some time that I can really go over the details and get it all done right.

Vern

BTW MANY MANY thanks!!!

Edited by Gibbs

You don't need WindowsXP-WindowsMedia-KB952069-v2-x86-ENU.exe if your slipstreaming WMP11 as WMP11 was made after that update was released. The download links for the non cab format WMP updates are at footnote 1. Remember not to download the first one listed, WindowsXP-WindowsMedia-KB952069-v2-x86-ENU.exe.

Thanks for that -X- ! You all know, that all this slipstreaming of WMP11, IE8, and so on would be unnecessary if I could figure out the switch that could allow or not allow a MS software to install without having to first reboot the computer. I have repeatedly tried to insall IE8 and get right to the part and fails saying that the installation cannot continue as it is waiting for another file or program to restart the computer. Same with Media Player 11. Same with updates. Somewhere in that registry is a corrupted or lost (orphan) key that prevents MS products from installing before a complete restart. You restart and it does not reset that key. If I open up Control Panel and go to Automatic Updates and click the button for Automatically, all I get is an annoying shied in the notification (task) tray and if I click on it all it says is that my updates are almost finished, I just need to restart my computer for the updates to complete. Doesn't go away no matter how many times I restart. Keeps on coming back, until I go back into "Automaic Updates" and click the button to "Turn Off Automatic Updates".

So, there is probably some registry setting that keeps cropping up to prevent IE8 and others from installing. It could be from way back when, since I turned off automatic updates a LONG time ago. However, I have never had any issues with installing things like WM Player 11 in the past. These little pop-up windows just don't float down here from the sky somewhere and show up on my desktop saying the system needs to reboot to complete updates. There is some wording somwhere in the OS or the Resgistry part that triggers that.

Well I don't have a clue as to what might be causing that. Personally I would throw in the towel and do a clean install but you're welcome to wait for a possible solution.