How to edit registry so that it doesn't need to restart before ins

Gibbs

It occurred to me that no one asked to look at your Last Session.ini file. So, open c:\Program Files\nLite\Presets and upload here your Last Session.ini file (NOT Last Session_u.ini), which might help us diagnose your problems.

Cheers

I'm 59 years old (soon to be 60) from western Nebraska farm/ranch raised and I follow Winston Churchill's famous speech: "Never, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, give up. Never give up. Never give up. Never give up." Getting me to succumb to a complete format of C:/ and start from scratch is the very LAST resort, not "only" resort I have been told by a Microsoft MVP.

I have a HD sitting on my shelf that is 650GB that this 750 was cloned from. I would rather go back and use that one, that is way outdated for info (back to 2011) than completely start over. If all things don't work on this 750 GB had drive (has C: D: F: (NTFS partiton for Windows 7- not intalled....yet) No worries. I bought this drive recently a SATA 6 HD and cloned my old 750 HD from it a few weeks ago. All email, All changes to My Documents are unaffected as they reside on 2 different HD in my computer. (I have 3 Hard drives) G: (320GB SATA) is used mostly for email and have backed up a lot of things onto it. E: houses the My Documents and redundant backup of the email and other programs off G:/ These are unaffected by anything in the C:/ drive at the moment. Several weeks ago I moved the "MY DOCUMENTS" from the default location to E:\My Documents, and used Tweak-UI to tell the system that My Documents is now in E:\My Documents. Even shortcuts to the desktop that go to things in the My Document folder open ok from the E:/ settings.

BTW, one could use PC Mover and actually create an image of all the files, folders, settings, and programs and merely run after a clean install into "F:/ and migrate all that info into there. http://ww2.laplink.com/pcmover/pcmoverupgradeassistant.html I've talked to these folks, and moving XP PRO to XP PRO would be a given to move over all of the programs since there is nothing really that would have changed or be no-used in say a Windows XP PRO upgrade to Windows 7 PRO OS.

I can format and reinstall XP and have everything just like I had on my running system in 15 minutes. Of course I put in the time to make a perfect CD for my system. So if the problem is going to take more than 15 minutes to solve, I just format and reinstall.

He doesn't have an nLite problem. He has a rebooting problem after a repair install.

Correct! I have not tried to reboot using an N-lite created disk for repair, only used the slipstreamed SP3 made wtih 'Auto Streamer" software. I rebooted my computer using XP PRO / SP3 when I could not install Windows Media Player 11 software... just to watch a silly $1.99 download Mentalist episode I got from Amazon.com in the Amazon UnBox.. I even tried to find other software that would understand the DMR of that download, or even convert it into something else I had that would play it. I have uninstalled them weeks ago, and figured I would install WMP 11 that I did have to watch an episode of NCIS I got several months ago. I uninstalled it because it became annoying when I tried to play certain movies or files it would pop up. Should have just left it alone!!!!

The repair install causes IE8 that was working to not work. Updates would not update, and if I tried to install IE8 again, it said other program or file need the comptuer to restart before the install would proceed.

Nightmare registry SNAFU.

I can format and reinstall XP and have everything just like I had on my running system in 15 minutes. Of course I put in the time to make a perfect CD for my system. So if the problem is going to take more than 15 minutes to solve, I just format and reinstall.

NOW that does sound intereresting. Inlucdes all your programs along with their respective software keys?

Edited by Gibbs

Now I pose a question about the integration of the Windows Media Player. Go to this link: Slipstream Windows Media Player 11 and when they tell me to search for the i386 folder, is that the one in the SP3 or the original XP PRO?

It almost looks like it is the Original after the SP has been integrated into it to now makde it XP PRO/SP3 integrated.

Edited by Gibbs

NOW that does sound intereresting. Inlucdes all your programs along with their respective software keys?

Yes, that's one way you can do it. I prefer a different approach though. After you've successfully installed the system and set up everything you can just use an imaging software like Parted Magic, create an image of your system partition and then just restore it any time the system gets broken.

It takes just 5 minutes to do it in my case :P

DUDE!

No offense, but you've ignored both my instructions and the links I gave.

Post #2

- Link to MichaelStevens (asked "this way"?) <-via Boot to CD

- Link to -X- files and instructions, which includes:

-- The link to the IE8 Addon Creator

-- The download of the X-Files Downloader

-- The Fix files to get for IE8 and which ones to REMOVE

-- Links to the Fix Files to get for WMP11

- Link to nLite Screenshots (-X-)

- A POTENTIAL fix for ALL THREE PROBLEMS

-- WMP11

-- MS Updates

-- IE7/IE8

Of the three POTENTIAL fixes, you NEVER said whether you eve TRIED them and the Results

Post #5

- nLite FAQ

- Link to SP3 (if you needed it) also (as I said) linked via -X- and FAQ

- Link to nLite Website/Download

- List of MP11 Hotfixes you need (did NOT include KB952069)

Post #7

- Link to IE8 Base Installer

- Link to MP11 Base Installer

Post #11

- Instructions (Complete)

- Link to MP11Integrator (which you went ELSEWHERE to get :blink: )

- Link to MichaelStevens via "Upgrade" From Run From Running Windows (alternate method)

- Link to "How to allow for Recovery/Repair during nLite"

In Post #13, -X- reiterated do NOT download KB952069 and why NOT use it.

In Post #22 you AGAIN reference the "other" link to the MP11 Integrator. As I said in Post #11 Step #5 put it in the nLite folder. Also, as I stated in Post #5

I've been led to believe that IF you put the Integrator in the nLite folder that it will AUTOMATICALLY use the Integrator for the above files.
Meaning nLite will DETECT the Integrator and run it at the appropriate time!

See this (Post #6) -

You are making this WAY too complicated!

@tomasz86 - the OP wishes to RETAIN everything on the CURRENT failing XP rather than "wipe and start over".

@Gibbs - Just get ALL items listed in ALL of the Posts given and follow MY instructions - and DO read the nLite FAQ and look the Screenshots in the Link I gave. Here's some additional assistance on nLite -

Go there and download the nLite Reference an look through that as well.

Basically, you Point to the CD, select Integrate SP and Integrate HF then proceed according to those wonderful screenshots, the FAQ, and the Reference (just linked), as well as the Link to REMOVE the Unattended section of the WINNT.SIF during nLite run BEFORE it creates the ISO. The ONLY thing lacking at this point would be your Drivers, which will STILL be in your Running XP after the Over-The-Top/Upgrade Repair Install (see the MichaelStevens links).

Edited by submix8c

I'm going to update the one computer at the winery, "Taste" computer. I need to clone the HD they have now in their box, and put the new HD into a differen computer with an ASUS Motherboard.. It will require a reinstall /repair. I just looked and right now she has Media Player 9 on there. Would I need to uninstall 9 before instalilng MP 11 using the n-lite utility that has the updated MP11 integrated?

Never mind the question as it is pointless, unless someone is curious. Her computer at the winery works fine for updating and installing MS Software, not like mine. I can alway move the file over on our network and install it later on if she wants. I was just curuious about trying it on her computer as a test run as well.

Edited by Gibbs

The only point of the "fully integrated" CD is to have everything totally up-to-date as-of -X- Hotfix list. IE8 and MP9 are considered "Updates" as opposed to Hotfixes and only necessary if the offending PC has been bolloxed (like yours). IOW, since the PC "Taste" only has MP9, then SP3 would put that into the Integration (part of SP3) and the Original MediaPlayer Hotix "CAB" files from -X- would stand (as he noted in his post).

Note that you MUST use the SAME ORIGINAL (i.e. unaltered) VERSION as is on the PC in question - you can't use XP Pro Retail on an XP Home OEM (regardless of SP-level). If need be, I (or someone else) will link you to specific topic posts to clarify. WARNING! If any of the PC's are OEM, then special consideration is necessary (certain files, keys via KeyFinder, etc.) to allow for AutoActivate. COA key is different from the Internal OEM Key. This is a touchy subject BUT if in doubt, ask regarding a SPECIFIC PC.

ALSO PLEASE NOTE!!! nLite has a EULA (license.txt) that states it CANNOT be used for ANY Commercial Purpose AT ALL, so if you're referring to a "work" PC, I'd steer clear of using it except in an emergency case (e.g. recovery MAYBE?). Here is the License -

LICENSE AGREEMENT:

Your use of nLite is governed by the following conditions. Please read this information carefully before using nLite. By using it you are agreeing to the following conditions:

1. nLite is freeware and can be freely used for any personal non-commercial purposes, subject to the following restrictions.

2. nLite can only be distributed electronically through the official host www.nliteos.com.

3. nLite is supplied "as-is". The author assumes no liability for damages, direct or consequential, which may result from the use of nLite.

4. Import Restrictions. International users also check any import restrictions that your government may impose. Reread eula.txt in your Windows\System32 folder.

5. nLite is free for personal use only, you cannot use it for any company or business purposes at this time.

6. MCDBNET2.dll is registered on me (the nLite author) with the royalty-free license and can be distributed only bundled with nLite.

7. nLite is a copyrighted material of Dino Nuhagic aka nuhi. You may not decompile, disassemble or otherwise reverse engineer this product. You may not include the parts of nLite in your software without the author's permission. You may not alter or modify nLite in any way or create a new installer for it.

Copyright © 2004-2008, Dino Nuhagic (nuhi)

Notice that the stipulation "generally" means you can't use it for (e.g.) loading up PC's.

Your best bet on the "TASTE" one would be to use the Install CD, ensure that it does NOT have IE7/IE8 installed (and any fixes) and do a Repair that way. AND since you mentioned MoBo Swap, that COULD get you into HAL/Driver trouble. Let's deal with your PC first and make a new Topic for "Taste", OK???

Side note - Commercial PC's can be "fixed" (whatever) by manually integrating without using nLite. We could help with that as necessary. nLite as an EXAMPLE of how-to is not out of the question (AFAIK).

Edited by submix8c

nLite is for personal use only. You cant use it for work computers so were are back to square one, how to fix your problem. I personally don't know.

Yes to whether my 15 minute install integrates serials. Though I don't run the setups. They are on my D partition and I just insert the serial into the registry during setup.

EDIT: Oops. I never saw submix8c post.

Edited by -X-

Just wanted to post back.... I am posting on IE8 NOW. I made the slipstream CD, burned it and edited the WINNT.SIF files like I was pointed to. Web Of Trust WOT, and all the other add ons I had previous work, including my Amazon add to wish list and the IE Spell checker.

I cannot thank you all enough!!! The next thing is to try the Amazon UnBox and see if I can watch the downloaded TV segment. I also slipstreamed Windows Media player in there but haven't checked to see. Icon on desktop showed Media Player 10. Perhaps it is not showing yet.

IE8 is working !!! HURRAY!!!

THANKS!!!!

VERN

IE8 work well, but those updates still insist I need to restart before downloading from MS site. Also the Window Media Player 11 doesn't come up either. I have downloaded the install file for it but it comes up with the same ol stuff..... needs to restat before it can install the setup. Ah.. well, at least IE 8 now works fine.

Edited by Gibbs

One other question. Would I need to uninstall WMP 10 from my computer before doing the repair install with slipstreamed MP11? When I used the N-Lite program it asked for add ons and I choose WMP11 executable file for one of the add ons. When it was processing all the addons, including the updates after SP3, it came to the MP 11 and actually started up the WMP Slipstreamer and it ran doing it's thing slipstreaming it into the windows share., then the slipstreamer (WMP11) finished and N-lite went on and finished. Before I made an ISO I made sure to go into the i386 folder and edit that file for the unattended., and Repair came up as an option. Pretty slick written program. Goofy computer stillwon't check for updates or allow MP11 to install without restarting (again) so might try to redo the repair and make sure all ducks are in a row for the MP11, IE8, SP3 and final updates. I have a folder called UDC-o2.2.13 that contains a bunch of updates. I put it in the folder where I am doing the updates from and also compressed it with the WinZip softare to a .z file in case it would be more recognizable for the N-Lite software that way.

<snip>I am posting on IE8 NOW. I made the slipstream CD, burned it and edited the WINNT.SIF files like I was pointed to.<snip>

<snip>I also slipstreamed Windows Media player in there but haven't checked to see. Icon on desktop showed Media Player 10. Perhaps it is not showing yet.

<snip>those updates still insist I need to restart before downloading from MS site. Also the Window Media Player 11 doesn't come up either. I have downloaded the install file for it but it comes up with the same ol stuff..... needs to restart before it can install the setup.<snip>

OK, glad you got IE8 back, but the above totally confuses me.

1 - Did you EDIT the WINNT.SIF file before the Burn (you said the reverse).

2 - Did you slipstream MediaPlayer 11 according to instructions? No way did it revert to 10 if you originally had 11!

3 - What "updates" are you talking about? Slipstream would have taken care of that if you slipped ALL of the -X- Updates + IE8 + MP11 + SP3.

4 - Downloaded the Install File? I thought you already HAD it downloaded (along with the Hotfixes) and SLIPSTREAMED it!

5 - "Needs" to Restart... IF you slipped EVERYTHING as per instructions then the ONLY other thing I can think that's causing that is a corrupted "Automatic Update"

C:\WINDOWS\SoftwareDistribution\Download

and you still have a "pending reboot" due to it.

You DID follow the instructions exactly, didn't you? The only OTHER way of Full Slipstream is to -

1 - Manually Slip SP3.

2 - Use MP11 Integrator independently and slip MP11+Hotfixes.

3 - Use IE8 AddOn + nLite (removing/replacing as instructed) to do the remainder.

(sigh...) I guess I could test the scenario just to see what the problem might be. I also notice you (said) you previously "Slipstreamed" OTHER software!

Web Of Trust WOT, and all the other add ons I had previous work, including my Amazon add to wish list and the IE Spell checker.
Did you RE-slipstream these or are you referring to a PREVIOUS slipstream install? Did you use a CLEAN Source (required)?

BTW, you DEFINITELY need to Restart after the Repair! Also, the preferred (IMHO) method of "Repair" is to do the Alternative Method (run setup from inside Windows, NOT boot from CD).

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/971058

Go to "Let me fix it myself" and SKIP Step#11 (you SHOULD already have that Slipstreamed). BE CAREFUL and follow instructions TO THE LETTER or you could be a goner!

Side question - WHAT is the EXACT message you get? Post#14

pop-up windows<snip>on my desktop saying the system needs to reboot to complete updates
Above states differently...

AND... a REAL silly!

Go to Start->Run-> and enter: msoobe /a

to see if you're "activated".

Edited by submix8c