Screen resolution during Safe Mode

MiKl

Hi Guys,

sorry if this had been discussed before but I searched the forum and did not found a post regarding this. Did not find anything useful via Google either ...

My question is if it is possible to run safe mode at 800x600 or even higher ??

I tested vga.drv from WinMe but the slider is deactivated too.

Does anyone maybe have an idea ?

Best, Mikl

Hi Guys,

sorry if this had been discussed before but I searched the forum and did not found a post regarding this. Did not find anything useful via Google either ...

My question is if it is possible to run safe mode at 800x600 or even higher ??

I tested vga.drv from WinMe but the slider is deactivated too.

Does anyone maybe have an idea ?

Best, Mikl

Improving Windows 98 / safe mode

Edited by schwups

That would be the "DISPLAY.INF" file you're finding that in. "VGAPnP.SYS" is (apparently) the file.

Probably find it in one of the Server 2003 Service Packs. You specified 5.2..3790.x - the ORIGINAL would be in the Server 2003 RTM (no service pack).

Why are you asking? Rationale?

Edited by submix8c

This is really useful. I downloaded and installed the zip file (mentioned in the older thread, modified the .cb file as described, and restarted my system in safe mode. My screen came up as 1024 x 768, 256 colors. The screen-resolution slider bar was fixed at 1024 x 768 (I couldn't change it) and 256 was the only color choice. This is with an Nvidia 6200 AGP video card.

Anyone have or know where to find Standard VGA Graphics Adapter 5.2.3790.0 ?? Thx, Mikl

With all due respect, what does this have to do with your original question (which is solved, BTW)? This is the 9x/ME forum, you know.

Why are you asking? Rationale?

Well, it's been around seven years since Tihiy posted this awesome patch and I thought that maybe with a later svga driver it might be possible to get 16bit or maybe even 32bit color. Just a thought ...

@ dencorso. AFAIK this driver should still work on 98SE so I wanted to test it.

But is it not allowed here to continue a thread beyond the original question ?? If I am able to get a better color resolution working is this not something worth to post about ??

I am quite confused about what you are trying to do here.

Edited by MiKl

I see no reason why Mikl should not be able to continue his questioning here, or his experiment... :unsure:

From what I read in the other linked thread, the "solution" given is far from perfect or universal, so I don't understand "resistance" toward trying something else...?

No resistance -

The Questioner asked about a (sic) File that you can't just "download" except perhaps in the Service Pack 1 or 2 and, AFAICT, the INF file has not changed "versions". The confusion was "why" due to the vein of the thread. Dencorso reiterated such a query.

The Questioner then responded accordingly and questioned the purpose of the thread. I responded in kind.

Bear in mind the Questioner obtained the File(s) originally found in the above Links and it specifically states "Windows 3.11 VESA plus a patch". They also stated that "AFAIK" the SERVER 2003 file(s) "should still work on 98SE". I find this to be dubious at best, otherwise Tihiy would have used a different file (maybe XP) except that APPARENTLY he "found" the Solution.

I also pointed out that in Safe Mode the Value will be "fixed" to what the Driver (whichever) supplies.

Simple and no problem. As for the File(s) in question, you know as well as I do we can't supply it. It's up to the Questioner (files were named by me) to "get" them and experiment to their heart's content.

No resistance -

The Questioner asked about a (sic) File that you can't just "download" except perhaps in the Service Pack 1 or 2 and, AFAICT, the INF file has not changed "versions". The confusion was "why" due to the vein of the thread. Dencorso reiterated such a query.

The Questioner then responded accordingly and questioned the purpose of the thread. I responded in kind.

Bear in mind the Questioner obtained the File(s) originally found in the above Links and it specifically states "Windows 3.11 VESA plus a patch". They also stated that "AFAIK" the SERVER 2003 file(s) "should still work on 98SE". I find this to be dubious at best, otherwise Tihiy would have used a different file (maybe XP) except that APPARENTLY he "found" the Solution.

I also pointed out that in Safe Mode the Value will be "fixed" to what the Driver (whichever) supplies.

Simple and no problem. As for the File(s) in question, you know as well as I do we can't supply it. It's up to the Questioner (files were named by me) to "get" them and experiment to their heart's content.

My response was not necessarily directed at you only, it was meant for dencorso as well. It seemed, and the OP obviously took it this way as well, that your responses were to the effect of "you've been given an answer, don't bother trying something else or asking other quasi-related questions."

I know you both well enough to know that is not what you meant, :angel but it could be inferred based on the tone of the posts.

I agree that the "should still work on 98SE" statement is questionable, but there's no harm in trying. I would also like to see a better, more comprehensive solution to this issue (not to mention the added bonus that a better "generic" driver could be used in Normal Mode on newer systems with no official drivers.)

If the file in question was ever provided as part of a redistributable or downloadable package, I must disagree with your statement that we cannot provide it (or at least link to the original package).

Back on topic - has anyone tried using the VBE9X driver in Safe Mode? It has some limitations, the worst of which is the inability to use DOS boxes unless they are run in Full Screen mode, but may be a better "overall" solution. :unsure:

@ dencorso. AFAIK this driver should still work on 98SE so I wanted to test it.

But is it not allowed here to continue a thread beyond the original question ?? If I am able to get a better color resolution working is this not something worth to post about ??

I am quite confused about what you are trying to do here.

Don't be confused... you're are quite correct, it *is* allowed here to continue a thread beyond the solution of the original question. And it's allowed here to resurrect the most ancient threads, too, provided one has a good reason to do it. My point was what a server 2k3 file would have to do with it, since I really doubt it'll actually work in 9x/ME... I wasn't sure you weren't going wildly off-topic. But I'm satisfied with your reply, so it's OK. In any case, wild off-topic digressions are undesirable, but common, and may be allowed to go on for some time in many cases. I apologise for not being clearer myself, in my previous post.

My response was not necessarily directed at you only, it was meant for dencorso as well. It seemed, and the OP obviously took it this way as well, that your responses were to the effect of "you've been given an answer, don't bother trying something else or asking other quasi-related questions."

I know you both well enough to know that is not what you meant, :angel but it could be inferred based on the tone of the posts.

True enough. I really didn't mean my previous post as any kind of remonstration at all. I was puzzled however, and wished the OP to elaborate, in order to better understand.

Back on topic - has anyone tried using the VBE9X driver in Safe Mode? It has some limitations, the worst of which is the inability to use DOS boxes unless they are run in Full Screen mode, but may be a better "overall" solution. :unsure:

No normal DOS Boxes are a serious deal breaker, from whre I stand, but you may have a point there.

In the mean time, I'm working on an automated installer for Tihiy's package. Unfortunately, information on various settings in the initialization file is quite nonexistant, everybody on the web seems to be satisfied with the default settings. I'll have to perform a few tests on my own and maybe some flexibility will come out of this.

If anybody has any in-depth information on svgamode or resolution settings, I'd gladly listen to what they have to say. ;)