Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

Windows 98 on a 2006 laptop?

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

mikelo

mikelo
  • 1 posts
Hello, I have an older laptop from 2006, it's Packard Bell Easynote and has AMD Turion64. It's running XP, but I want to convert it to Win 98 (or if impossible Win 2000) for nostalgia purposes. See, although I've used XP more than Win 98, I miss 98 way more than I'll ever miss XP. And although I haven't used Win 2000 for more than a few months, it looks a lot like 98 GUI-wise. So, will 98 install on that, considering it's 64 bit processor? Most of the drivers are available for Win 9X and 2000.

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

jaclaz

jaclaz

The Finder

• Developer
  • 14,256 posts
Yep :yes: , BTW sometimes reading the stickies does help:
http://www.msfn.org/...-windows-9x-me/
http://www.msfn.org/...ith-windows-9x/

Turion 64

Don't forget to also check ;):
http://www.msfn.org/...98-seme-topics/

jaclaz

TmEE

TmEE

Mega Drive Modding Master

• PipPipPip
  • 361 posts
I have no problems with 98SE on my HP NX6125 that has a Turion64 in it. I did have to hack ATI video driver to support the mobile chip and replace the WiFi card to something that has 98SE drivers.

Your main problem will be drivers.
Posted Image Mida sa loed ? Nagunii aru ei saa ;)

farfigs11

farfigs11

Junior

• Pip
  • 53 posts
I'm trying to install 98se on a Dell Inspiron 8600. It's been rough--lockups trying to install pci, usb drivers. Intel 855 Chipset drivers and the tweaked Nvidia seem to load ok till it gets to usb installation. I do have my cd key memorized now though. I've been writing down the order I install drivers/updates and trying different orders. Haven't figured it out what works yet. I might have a hardware issue though- when it warms up it takes way longer to load stuff. I'd love to talk to someone who's accomplished this.

piete

piete

• 17 posts

Hi! I'm planning to try to install Win98 on a 2005 tablet notebook HP TC4200. Has anyone done it already, even if it was on the digitizer-less cousin NC4200?

farfigs11

farfigs11

Junior

• Pip
  • 53 posts

I'm trying to install 98se on a Dell Inspiron 8600. It's been rough--lockups trying to install pci, usb drivers. Intel 855 Chipset drivers and the tweaked Nvidia seem to load ok till it gets to usb installation. I do have my cd key memorized now though. I've been writing down the order I install drivers/updates and trying different orders. Haven't figured it out what works yet. I might have a hardware issue though- when it warms up it takes way longer to load stuff. I'd love to talk to someone who's accomplished this.

Got everything working including bluetooth (dell bluetooth 350 module).  I had the most trouble with Intel's IDE controller- trick was to set to primary only then run 'add new hardware' non plug and play wizard to install ide for cd drive.  The same goes with Dell Inspiron 9200, which is a nicer computer( wide screen, 4 usb, subwoofer).  There's a specific install order for the 9200-install bluetooth hardware/software last after all updates. 

• piete likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

How to remove advertisement from MSFN