Windows 2000 on 3rd Gen Intel PC.

AnX

Hello MSFN Users.

I got a new PC with a Gigabyte H61 Motherboard.

I installed Windows 2000 on it, the installation went smooth and it has the USP 5.1 USB drivers.

I've gotten the USB to work, all the drivers installed, and the HD graphics also (used blackwingcat's forceware).

Update Rollup 2 and Daily UURollup 11 have been installed.

Specs:

Intel Pentium G2010 @ 2.80Ghz Dual Core, Ivy Bridge

Gigabyte H61 Mobo

4GB of DDR3 RAM

Intel HD Graphics.

The PC is only 2 days old, and it runs Win2k like a charm.

Edited by AnX

Here is how to fix the USB Problem on 3rd Gen systems. Something in the newer 2nd/3rd Gen Intel Chipsets prevents automatic USB install on Win2k due to a possible BSOD by using the old SP4 USB drivers (you need the newer UR1 or USP 5.1 drivers)

The solution: Manually install the drivers by running the device manager's Update driver wizard.

Edited by AnX

For the Graphics, I used Blackwingcat's forceware, alog with the latest (as of now) daily UURollup 11. It runs great, all 3d tests work, the system is running cool.

I will report on more later.

Edited by AnX

Does SpeedStep work? How much RAM does the system display?

I don't use Speedstep, as far as I know, Win2k needs a driver for it to work. Last time I tried, BSOD. But on another PC, not this one.

Speedstep is useless, it lowers down performance, and no power user has been friends with it. Not to mention that all the drivers are

for laptops and not desktops.

And of course, I need to use the PAE hack. It displays 3.5GB.

Alright, I've turned on PAE and Win2K can recognize all 4GB of RAM! :thumbup

But on a more serious note, the SFC.DLL in the daily version of UUR is infected with a triojan, according to avast!.

I've remedied by using the UR1 version (dated 2004).

Avast is wrong. SFC.DLL is patched to disable Windows File Protection because it doesn't work properly with all the unofficial system files. Check virustotal. Only three scanners see it as trojan, four say the truth ("PatchedSFC") and the rest doesn't detect anything.

I wouldn't recommend using the UR1 version as turned on file protection may cause unexpected issues.

Avast is wrong. SFC.DLL is patched to disable Windows File Protection because it doesn't work properly with all the unofficial system files. Check virustotal. Only three scanners see it as trojan, four say the truth ("PatchedSFC") and the rest doesn't detect anything.

I wouldn't recommend using the UR1 version as turned on file protection may cause unexpected issues.

I guess I can configure avast! to not scan the file if this is the case.

I guess I can configure avast! to not scan the file if this is the case.

Instead of modding the file, isn't it possible to disable the SFC via registry?

• 10 months later...

Hello Folks, according to your post :

For the Graphics, I used Blackwingcat's forceware, alog with the latest (as of now) daily UURollup 11. It runs great, all 3d tests work, the system is running cool.

I will report on more later.

I was not lucky to get the HD-Graphics driver running - it is always showing me some error - indicating that some other drivers are missing.

I have following Hardware:

Asus H61M-Pro, Pentium G2020, 4GB Ram - Installed Win2kPro SP4+SPR1+UP2 and UU Rollup 10d+ .NET FW till version4

I tried to find the "Blackwingcat´s forceware" but was not able to find it. Can You please help.

Thanks in advance

I tried to find the "Blackwingcat´s forceware" but was not able to find it. Can You please help. Thanks in advance

Which graphic card do you have?

Blackwingcat's site is here:

http://blog.livedoor.jp/blackwingcat/

You will need to search on it for your graphic card, example:

http://en.lmgtfy.com/?q=ATI+Radeon+site%3Ahttp%3A%2F%2Fblog.livedoor.jp%2Fblackwingcat%2F

(LMGTFY used only for visual explanation :))

jaclaz

Hi.

I don't recommended use ATI/AMD Graphic Card HD5xxx and later on Windows 2000.

You can find the important files on my blog with the following keyword on Google.

BM site:jp blackwingcat + what you want

for ex) BM site:jp blackwingcat nvidia

Hello Folks, according to your post : For the Graphics, I used Blackwingcat's forceware, alog with the latest (as of now) daily UURollup 11. It runs great, all 3d tests work, the system is running cool. I will report on more later. I was not lucky to get the HD-Graphics driver running - it is always showing me some error - indicating that some other drivers are missing. I have following Hardware: Asus H61M-Pro, Pentium G2020, 4GB Ram - Installed Win2kPro SP4+SPR1+UP2 and UU Rollup 10d+ .NET FW till version4 I tried to find the "Blackwingcat´s forceware" but was not able to find it. Can You please help. Thanks in advance

> Does SpeedStep work? How much RAM does the system display?

Although I said before, I want to know how to install cpu.inf on Windows 2000.

Edited by blackwingcat

Does SpeedStep work? How much RAM does the system display?

I don't use Speedstep, as far as I know, Win2k needs a driver for it to work.
I made my own utility to manually change CPU speed with speedstep on Pentium M and Core 2. Under DOS I use .COM program:

; utility for manipulating speedstep setting on Intel CPUs under DOS        BITS 16        ORG 0x100        push cs        pop ds        cld        mov dx,msg        mov ah,9        int 0x21        mov ecx,0x000001A0      ; misc enable        rdmsr        or eax,0x00010000        wrmsr        mov ecx,0x00000198      ; status        rdmsr        mov [temp1],eax        mov [temp3],edx        ; check for valid command line arg        mov bl,[0x80]        cmp bl,0        jz showstatus        mov si,0x81        xor dx,dx        mov cl,4a103:        lodsb        cmp al,32        jz a104        cmp al,48        jb showstatus        cmp al,57        jb a105        and al,0xDF        sub al,7        cmp al,63        ja showstatusa105:        ; got a hex digit        and al,15        add dl,al        dec cl        jz a106        sal dx,4        jmp a103a106:        ; parsed the whole value, now set registers        push dx        mov ecx,0x00000199      ; perf control        rdmsr        pop ax        wrmsr        jmp exita104:        dec bl        jnz a103showstatus:        ; temp1=current, temp3=max, temp4=startup        mov ax,[temp1]        mov bx,current        call writehex        mov ax,[temp3]        mov bx,max        call writehex        mov ax,[temp4]        mov bx,startup        call writehex        mov dx,msg2        mov ah,9        int 0x21exit:        mov ax,0x4c00        int 0x21writehex:        mov ch,4a102:        mov cl,ah        sar cl,4        and cl,15        add cl,48        cmp cl,58        jb a100        add cl,7a100:        mov [bx],cl        dec ch        jz a101        inc bx        sal ax,4        jmp a102a101:        rettemp1:        db 0,0temp2:        db 0,0temp3:        db 0,0temp4:        db 0,0msg:        db 'speedstep utility',13,10,13,10,'$'msg2:        db 'USAGE:',13,10        db 'SPEEDSTP mmvv',13,10        db ' (mm=multiplier, vv=voltage) EXAMPLE: 0607',13,10,13,10                  db 'startup: 'startup:        db '    ',13,10        db 'current: 'current:        db '    ',13,10        db 'max: 'max:        db '    ',13,10,'$'
Under Windows NT (3.51, 4, 2k, xp, win7 32-bit) I install the driver DirectNT.sys and use a FreeBASIC program like this:

#define WIN32_LEAN_AND_MEAN#include once "windows.bi"#include once "directnt.bi"function DrvExec(Drv as HANDLE, OpCode as ulong, Param1 as ulong, Param2 as ulong, Param3 as ulong, Result as any ptr, ResultSize as ulong) as integer  dim as TDirectNTInfo I  with I     .OpCode = OpCode    .Par1 = Param1    .Par2 = Param2    .Par3 = Param3  end with  dim as ulong ResultLen  if (DeviceIoControl(Drv,IOCTL_DIRECTNT_CONTROL,@I,sizeof(TDirectNTInfo),Result,ResultSize,@ResultLen,NULL)) then    return TRUE  end if   print "Error in DirectNT.sys, Code = " & GetLastError()  return FALSEend functiondim as zstring ptr DirectNTDrvName = @"\\.\Dev_DirectNT"dim as HANDLE DrvDrv = CreateFile(DirectNTDrvName,GENERIC_READ,FILE_SHARE_READ,NULL,OPEN_EXISTING,0,NULL)if (Drv = INVALID_HANDLE_VALUE) then  print "Error: Can't open DirectNT.sys!"  print "errorcode = " & GetLastError()  beep:sleep:end 1end if  ' STUFF THAT DOES STUFFdim as ulong dop,dx,dy,dzdim as uinteger dresult(0 to 1)dim as integer newiddim as single starttimenewid=0if command$="8" then newid=&H880Dif command$="12" then newid=&H060Fif command$="14" then newid=&H0710if command$="16" then newid=&H0812if command$="18" then newid=&H091Cif newid=0 then ? "invalid argument":end' read MISC register, set EIST bit and the write it backdop=20:dx=&H1A0DrvExec(Drv,dop,dx,dy,dz,@dresult(0),8)dop=21:dx=&H1A0dy=(dresult(0) or &H10000)dz=dresult(1)DrvExec(Drv,dop,dx,dy,dz,@dresult(0),8)dop=20:dx=&H198DrvExec(Drv,dop,dx,dy,dz,@dresult(0),8)? "old setting: ";hex$(dresult(0));" ";hex$(dresult(1))? "trying to set: ";hex$(newid)starttime=timerretry:dop=21:dx=&H199dy=(dresult(0) and &HFFFF0000)+newiddz=dresult(1)DrvExec(Drv,dop,dx,dy,dz,@dresult(0),8)dop=20:dx=&H198DrvExec(Drv,dop,dx,dy,dz,@dresult(0),8)if (dresult(0) and &H0000FFFF)=newid then ? "done.":endif timer>starttime+3 then ? "failed!":endgoto retryCloseHandle(Drv)
Here is a post about how to set Pentium M http://www.freebasic.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=17226

Core 2 has a base voltage of .7125 instead of .700 and each step is .0125 instead of .016

I don't have newer Intel CPUs but information on register settings is probably on the web somewhere.