Any hope of getting Windows 2000 running on my PC?

Brahnix

I must admit that I never managed the full HFSLIP thing to work. But I did managed to just:

1) using WinISO rip the Win2k SP4 cz install I using to ISO file

2) using WinISO in the i386 dir fing and delete the SETUPREG.HIV file and then drag&drop the new file I get there into the install:

3) save the image and using Nero burn it to CDRW

4) try installing this on 320G drive, where previously it can't even format the HDD first 2G partition...

...and as I type this, the W2k on testing machine just finished its install! :-) Hooray! It works, LBA support is now "enabled by default"... Install done, everything works just great!

it worked! i was able to get Windows 2000 to install (although i need to switch to IDE mode VS. RAID in order to boot into 2k). I restored Windows 7 bootloader, but now Windows 2000 isn't listed as a boot option. So, a few questions, how do I 1. get Windows 2000 on the bootloader and 2. enable 2000 to be bootable with the RAID active?

it worked! i was able to get Windows 2000 to install (although i need to switch to IDE mode VS. RAID in order to boot into 2k). I restored Windows 7 bootloader, but now Windows 2000 isn't listed as a boot option. So, a few questions, how do I 1. get Windows 2000 on the bootloader and 2. enable 2000 to be bootable with the RAID active?

Remove RAID and all that, Just install Windows 2000 on the HDD on one partition, and Win7 on the other.

I can't. Windows 7 BSOD's when i try to boot in IDE mode. My copy of Windows came with 7 preinstalled with RAID already active. so...

Well, it's either Win2K or Windows 7 then... Your choice :P

I can't. Windows 7 BSOD's when i try to boot in IDE mode. My copy of Windows came with 7 preinstalled with RAID already active. so...

Well, it's either Win2K or Windows 7 then... Your choice :P

I'm going to get RAID drivers for Windows 2000 and see if I can get it from choking up. It isn't a choice of "pick one", it's just a slight nuisance that I have to enter BIOS every time I want to load 2000. I fixed the bootloader, and in either RAID or IDE Windows 7 bootloader will take me to 2k or 7. So, not too huge of an issue, just a nuisance.

2k is installed and the graphics driver worked! Just one question... Is there a way to install the UUR after Windows is installed? I couldn't find a setup file :( I'm having trouble getting WiFi and Sound working, but i'll get it.

How did you install the system exactly? Did you manage to use my HFSLIP package? If yes then the last weekly release of UURollup-v11 was already integrated in it and there's no need to install it separately.

I didn't get the HFSLIP package to work. I just did the 48-bit LBA hack, installed it, then trudged through - installing drivers, the updates, and I'm not even done yet. The last two questions I have are 1. Will Windows 2000 play nice with my Dual Monitors? It's only letting me go up to 1280x1024 (the limitation on my smaller monitor), not letting me control them independently. Also, Windows 2000 reads around 3.2 gigs of RAM, how would I enable to see 8 as mentioned before?

Edited by Brahnix

There's a reason why I recommended to use my HFSLIP package. Slipstreaming all of the required updates is way easier than installing them manually in a running system :sneaky:

If you wanted to have a fully updated system then you should install everything what is included in the HFSLIP archive but in reality you can just do this to update system core components. Install:

1. USP5.1 from here (w2ksp51.7z)
  2. KB2797052 (I know that there's a newer IE Cumulative Update available but I haven't been able to add it to the Download Archive yet)
  3. Update Rollup 2
  4. the latest weekly release of UURollup-v11 (available here).

After that you can play around with XP drivers (but need to modify their INF files in most cases) and also try to enable PAE:

Intel Physical Addressing Extensions (PAE) in Windows 2000

Thank you so, so much. Everyone here that's helped me get this running, I never thought I'd see the day honestly. It's all there, everything is installed and I'm thrilled (I haven't gotten the monitor situation figured out yet but I've just disabled the second one for now). This is gonna be awesome to play around with. Thanks so much!

Here's the brilliant piece of art you fellows have helped me achieve. Windows 2000 in 1080!

PAE worked! It somehow got Windows 2000 to recognize all 6 cores!

WORKING:

Steam

Winamp

AMD Catalyst Control Center

Wifi/sound/all drivers

PROBLEMS

Avast! is giving me issues with installing (it crashes after it installs and poops out errors when I try to run it)

no multi-mon support unless it's cloned and at a small res

I still have to switch between IDE and RAID to boot Windows 2k and Windows 7, respectively. (Inaccessible boot device BSOD when i try to boot 2k in RAID)

overall, i never thought i'd see the day. thanks again!

Edited by Brahnix

Can't you enable multi-monitor support in AMD Catalyst Control Center? I use Nvidia and you must enable "DualView" in order to be able to configure the two displays separately.

I'll try to check Avast in the next few days.