Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

Sleep mode then power off

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

tal ormanda

tal ormanda

RuneScape Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 554 posts
(Windows 8) Last night I must have hit Sleep instead of Shutdown and turned the power off and when I turned it on today it resumed sleep and my stuff was open. Did I damage anything by doing this?

Edited by tal ormanda, 02 April 2013 - 07:46 AM.

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

Ponch

Ponch

MSFN Junkie

• Patrons
  • 3,181 posts
If it resumed, you must have selected Hibernate instead of Sleep ( and instead of Shutdown). Sleep would not resume from a real loss of power.
An other possibility is that you hit Sleep but turned the power off several minutes later so that the PC hibernated by itself after x minutes of being in Sleep mode.
No damage if you saw "Resuming...".

tal ormanda

tal ormanda

RuneScape Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 554 posts
Well I don't have hibernate only Sleep Shutdown Restart. And Hibernate is set to 'Never' in the power settings.

tal ormanda

tal ormanda

RuneScape Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 554 posts
Only damage if powered disconnected while in sleep be lost stuff in RAM?

puntoMX

puntoMX

n00b of Masters and Vice Versa

• Super Moderator
  • 4,829 posts
Yes, all data will be lost with from what you were working on probably (some programs use autosave). There must be setting in the (U)EFI/BIOS for power-savings, S1/S3/S5 and "resume from..." so Windows 8 "understands" how to use the power-saving of your motherboard.

ROTS

ROTS

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 184 posts
My ideas on sleep mode.

My ideas on sleep mode, avoid using it, and grow tentacles. The only people who should worry about sleep mode, are people who want to access their computer from afar. I doubt any office setting has computers using sleep mode, without them damaging from time to time.

Ponch

Ponch

MSFN Junkie

• Patrons
  • 3,181 posts

I doubt any office setting has computers using sleep mode

I don't know where you work but most computer's do go Sleep Mode at times. Not because it's a good idea but because it's the (MS) default mode and "Power Options" is far from a priority for Sys Admins.

tal ormanda

tal ormanda

RuneScape Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 554 posts
So you think I should avoid using sleep mode then huh?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

How to remove advertisement from MSFN