Welcome to MSFN

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
tal ormanda

Sleep mode then power off

8 posts in this topic

(Windows 8) Last night I must have hit Sleep instead of Shutdown and turned the power off and when I turned it on today it resumed sleep and my stuff was open. Did I damage anything by doing this?

Edited by tal ormanda

If it resumed, you must have selected Hibernate instead of Sleep ( and instead of Shutdown). Sleep would not resume from a real loss of power.

An other possibility is that you hit Sleep but turned the power off several minutes later so that the PC hibernated by itself after x minutes of being in Sleep mode.

No damage if you saw "Resuming...".

Well I don't have hibernate only Sleep Shutdown Restart. And Hibernate is set to 'Never' in the power settings.

Only damage if powered disconnected while in sleep be lost stuff in RAM?

Yes, all data will be lost with from what you were working on probably (some programs use autosave). There must be setting in the (U)EFI/BIOS for power-savings, S1/S3/S5 and "resume from..." so Windows 8 "understands" how to use the power-saving of your motherboard.

My ideas on sleep mode.

My ideas on sleep mode, avoid using it, and grow tentacles. The only people who should worry about sleep mode, are people who want to access their computer from afar. I doubt any office setting has computers using sleep mode, without them damaging from time to time.

I doubt any office setting has computers using sleep mode

I don't know where you work but most computer's do go Sleep Mode at times. Not because it's a good idea but because it's the (MS) default mode and "Power Options" is far from a priority for Sys Admins.

So you think I should avoid using sleep mode then huh?