Windows Protection Error

Tommy

Hey guys, thanks for all the replies! I'm starting to think it's the video driver myself. I tried following some of the things mentioned for running 98SE with more than 512MBs of RAM and disabling ACPI devices. Of course I had a few problems understanding what to do with a few things and so anything that was related to ACPI, I just removed from device manager all together. Since I never did this, I didn't know what to expect. Doing this took me down to absolute barebone drivers and so when I started back up, it started readding drivers back into the database. It was getting really late before I actually finished so the standard vga adapter driver is still listed as my card instead of the nvidia and surprisingly, it shutdown without a hitch.

As for my TV, I can use the widescreen 1368x786 aspect ratio (not sure if the first number is correct but it's the max resolution my TV will support). I was extremely surprised with this but with the official December 2005 drivers, I can max out the settings with no problems, but I still have the Windows Protection Error problem. But it seemed the utility for the onboard Realtek AC'97 caused part of the problem. I don't know if it was a sound manager that loaded up at startup or what it was but disabling it via msconfig, I was at least able to start restarting to the computer with no issues since even restarting had problems at first. Now I'm just down to the problem with shutting down completely and I do believe shutting down directly from safe mode works just fine as well.

That's about as confused as I feel with this particular subject. I used to use Windows 98 a lot back in the early to mid 2000s as my main operating environment and never ran into something like this. But then again, all of my processors were always Intel, not AMD so this is the first time I'm actually seeing how AMD plays with Windows 98. I've also always used nvidia cards as well and never had this problem with them.

Yeah, me :wacko: too!

* - REMOVE the nVidia Card

1 - Clean Install 98SE (ACPI Enabled SHOULD WORK)

2 - 1 GB RAM shouldn't have been a problem BUT if it does, THEN change according to the "Greater than 1gb" topic. The subject matter is Not "Greater than 512mb" and that "information" is in error! The MAX is 1024mb/1gb!

3 - NOW install the VIA Hyperion Chipset Drivers Dencorso linked you too

4 - NOW install the OTHER files from the Gigabyte link. ALL of them (except VIA Hyperion) applicable to 98SE! USUALLY the Video one FIRST after the Chipset.

* - INSERT the nVidia Card

5 - NOW install the nVidia Driver!

The Via Hyperion is REQUIRED to be the FIRST drivers installed - in ANY Install scenario! This would even apply for ANY Chipset (even Intel or AMD or nVidia or "whoever"). The CHIPSET drivers are ALWAYS first!

AGP Aperture Size in the BIOS has given me problems WHEN GREATER THAN 256MB!

You should REALLY tell us EXACTLY (blow by blow) the steps you used AND for each individual step WHAT changes you MAY have made and HOW you made them using WHAT "unofficial" files (whatever) you may have used.

You will PROBABLY need all of the Updates/Hotfixes for 98SE. There's an Unofficial Service Pack AND an AutoPatcher. I used a different approach using AutoPatcher files and Integrating them (a RunOnce method). Choose your poison but CHOOSE! This COULD be done AFTER the "base procedure" has been confirmed fully functional. In addition there IS a List Of Hotfixes available (see the "Stickified Topics" Topic for the link).

We're kind of at a loss and "stabbing in the dark" here. Noting you did NOT say anything about ANY of the Drivers and what order, etc.

BTW, I've been using AMD MoBo's for a while now. The OLDER ones (like yours) are MUCH better (IMHO) than the Intel. Seriously, my old Mobo was nearly identical to yours and the only MAJOR difference was I used a normal VGA.

Alrighty, I basically tried what you said in that order submix8c and I'm still having the same issues. Maybe the TV itself is having some issues with the computer and it is causing it to do that since everything in safe mode is standard where in normal mode, drivers are in effect. It's hard to say I guess but I guess I can live with this. It seems to run better following your instructions though so I'll probably just live with it doing this.

As for the updates, I have PROBLEMCHYLD's latest unofficial service pack 3 that I installed first and then I installed KernelEx 4.5.2 and that's pretty much it in the line of updates.

It's (as I said) the TV... You apparently don't have a "real" VGA to test with? AGAIN, there are two things involved here - "EDID" and the TV Settings (in the actual TV "Setup" screens - NOT the PC!) - go back and look at the links I provided in reference to a TV hooked up.

AGAIN, I use(d) REAL SVGA Monitors (the BIG BULKY Picture Tube type)... And there IS a Setting in the BIOS to tell WHICH one (OnBoard or Add-In) to look for FIRST! Swap them...