Windows 8 refusing to install

I must be mad wanting to go back to it :P But anyhoo:

Bit of a weird one. Wondering if somebody could shed light. OK to I trying to upgrade windows 7 ultimate to windows 8 Pro (64 Bit and I have the 64 bit windows 8 Iso I made when I purchased the upgrade) So get past the first part's all fine everything seems OK it gets past the initial setup (finding devices getting system ready) Final reboot I think it is reboots into something (it's kind of like a BSOD) but can't tell as the screen goes messed up. All I see is blue screen with white lines what not and then windows reboots again and I get a windows installation has failed reverting back to previous version and wham back into windows 7. That don't seem right?

My specs are (this machine)

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?objectID=c03381126〈=en&cc=us&taskId=110&contentType=SupportFAQ&prodSeriesId=5258508

Yes, it will...

1 - ZIP

2 - "Use Full Editor"

3 - Browse for and select Zipped File

4 - Click "Attach This File" <-attachment# is assigned

5 - Click "Add To Post" <-probably unnecessary but can put anywhere in post

6 - Done!

!! attachment.zip

HTH

edit - so what was the problem w/Win8?

Edited by submix8c

JFYI... Certain filetypes aren't allowed to be directly attached. Always better to ZIP first.

Still, as I asked (in Edit) was the prob?

And could you edit that god-awful LOOOOOOOONG post? It's taking a WHOLE PAGE.

Edited by submix8c

:crazy:

I fixed the post.

I didn't see any errors in there and the only warning was complaining about not being able to set the language.

So.... what was done different now that you did the install?

I just done a er..............you know keep files but not programs type of install. It worked (I didn't want to format completely as I not got the necessceary means of backup) I do have a drive available but it's full to the brim quite literaly and it not as if I can get rid of anything on it because I may not get it back

keep files but not programs type of install
OK, so basically it "blew up" because it didn't have enough HDD Space to "preserve" the PREVIOUS Windows Installation in case you want to "Uninstall The Upgrade", correct? If so, you are aware that you now have no means to revert to the Windows7, right?

keep files but not programs type of install
OK, so basically it "blew up" because it didn't have enough HDD Space to "preserve" the PREVIOUS Windows Installation in case you want to "Uninstall The Upgrade", correct? If so, you are aware that you now have no means to revert to the Windows7, right?

No no NOT my actual hard disk. My backup drive incase I wanted to backup all my files I got currently. I got no space available on my portable to back that up. I have lost the pervious windows 7 install though yeah

In that case, this

I just done a er..............you know keep files but not programs type of install.
makes absolutely no sense and anyone else stumbling onto this topic will have no clue as to Your Solution.

In that case, this

I just done a er..............you know keep files but not programs type of install.
makes absolutely no sense and anyone else stumbling onto this topic will have no clue as to Your Solution.

Let me have a look and get back to you (I know what I mean) but I do get confused with my words

I choosed the just keep personal files option if that helps

Edited by NUTTER123

Here it is - http://blogs.technet.com/b/askcore/archive/2012/10/28/upgrading-to-windows-8-part-1.aspx

Here is what each of these options mean:

1 - Windows settings, personal files and apps: This setting captures all Windows settings, personal files (files held in the C:\Users directory) and any applications installed on the system. This is equivalent to performing an in-place-upgrade.

2 - Just personal files: This setting migrates items located in the \Users directory. No applications or user settings are migrated.

3 - Nothing: This setting does not migrate any data and is effectively a clean install of Windows. The old operating system moves to the Windows.old directory.

You chose Option 2. And it APPEARS that a "Windows.old" fold would indeed been created, thus "filling" your HDD - http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w8itprogeneral/thread/72bfccf8-c6c1-4bbe-88f8-284d9c6311d0/