remove win8 install win7 on new laptop

wildbill411

My neighbor got a new laptop (HP Envy DV4) with windows 8 and after a few months she hates it. she got a new win7Pro disc and wants me to install it.

I am in the install process and the "where do you want to install" window is up (see pic)

Where should I install it?

Should I reformat the drive completely? if so how?

thanks

NX1UFG.jpg

As long as you have a Win 7 disk you should be fine just wiping everything and starting from scratch.

I would suggest you try adding a start menu and glass 8 and give windows 8 more of a try though. It takes some getting used to, but it's basically Windows 7 plus extra (albeit not quite complete) features.

Edit: Looks like you already got past what I said. I think you'll actually be better off doing partition 2; seems like it's set up to separate the system and personal files.

Installing to partition 4 would leave partition 2 as-is, meaning you'll have to wipe it separately if you want the space.

No big deal really though, if you use partition 4 you'll just have a bit less space, and all the files will be together (slightly easier to use, but slightly more risky).

Edited by hello2u

hello2u, look again at the sizes of the various partitions and you will see that -X- was correct when he said to use Partion 4, NOT Partition 2. (Of course the OS wouldn't fit on Partition 2 anyway since it's only 260 MiB in size.) And -X- did say to format the partition before installing Win7.

Cheers and Regards

Edited by bphlpt

Thanks for the precise info! For the sake of completeness, however, it's worth to point out that the configuration displayed on Post #1 is *exactly* the second recommended configuration for UEFI-based HDD partitions, which is in this page I arrived at from the one you linked.

IC514412.png

Of course, Partition 4 could be divided in two, say, one of 72 - 128 GiB for Win 7 and the rest for a USER DATA partition. Doing so makes it much easier to implemente an effective backup strategy (images for the OS, incremental for the data), from that point on. Just my 2 ¢, of course.