7200.11 spinning up, clicks (reads data), spins down loop

I have a 7200.11 ST31000333AS Firmware LC15.

It was working fine then I restarted the PC and the drive will not be recognized by the BIOS or PC. The symptoms are the drive will spin up and start to read data (it clicks but not the normal sound of a failing hdd) then spins back down. This repeats until unplugged.

Here is a video of what it sounds like

I'm am just looking for a seconded opinion before I act. Is this a BSY issue or something like a hard drive head?

(I'm really hoping its a BSY issue)

Thanks for any help.

If you are positive that it spins up and you have something like 10 or 11 clicks (sorry I have not an audio card) before it spins down I am afraid it's gone. :ph34r:

Google for "11 clicks seagate" (without double quotes)

That should mean that the disk cannot read it's own "configuration data" from the platter.

It may be something trivial (cleaning accurately the PCB contacts) and sometimes doing "crazy" things (like keeping it vertical or upside down) you can manage to have it recognized (maybe once every several attempts), or it may be a catastrophical (head or bearing) failure.

No way to really know.

If you try it in a USB enclosure you should see the disk not being recognized properly in the "Safe to remove" popup/window.

jaclaz

Connect to the terminal on the drive and post what comes up when the drive powers on. I 2nd taking the board off and cleaning the connections as well. Most likely one of the heads has gone bad based on the posted info thus far.

I cleaned the PCB connections but with no luck.

I have to get back to you on the terminal. It may be a week or so I have to order a proper USB to TIL get it working.

I can say its definitely not the 11 clicks. The HDD is not making that sound.

Do you think there is any chance a data recovery professional can replace the heads to get the data back?

Do you think there is any chance a data recovery professional can replace the heads to get the data back?

Yes their is a good chance as long as the heads have not touched the platters and caused platter damage.