How do you slipstream drivers into a custom Win98SE install disc?

mrbigmouth502

I recently obtained an old HP Pavilion a530n from a friend, and I would like to know how I can slipstream the nForce3 chipset drivers, along with the Geforce FX5200XT graphics drivers onto a custom 98SE install disc. The machine originally came with XP Home, but I want to try using 98SE instead for performance reasons.

Thanks in advance! :D

I recently obtained an old HP Pavilion a530n from a friend, and I would like to know how I can slipstream the nForce3 chipset drivers, along with the Geforce FX5200XT graphics drivers onto a custom 98SE install disc. The machine originally came with XP Home, but I want to try using 98SE instead for performance reasons.

Well... It's not so easy as you make it sound. :lol:

The Windows 9x CAB files are all "linked" together like a split RAR archive, etc. You can't rebuild ONE of them without breaking the chain of links. Also, there is a major "learning curve" about how Windows 9x SETUP works and how to add things to it.

You have 3 options -

1.)Copy the \WIN98 folder from the CD to your HDD and fully unpack/extract (no .EXE or .ZIP, etc, must break down all the way to .INF's and SYS/VXD/whatever) the drivers you want into it, then create a new CD. SETUP will use any drivers or any newer files it finds in the \WIN98 folder.

2.)Read up on, and use this.

3.)Purchase RLoew's slipstreaming tools.

Edited by LoneCrusader

Well... It's not so easy as you make it sound. :lol:

The Windows 9x CAB files are all "linked" together like a split RAR archive, etc. You can't rebuild ONE of them without breaking the chain of links. Also, there is a major "learning curve" about how Windows 9x SETUP works and how to add things to it.

You have 3 options -

1.)Copy the \WIN98 folder from the CD to your HDD and fully unpack/extract (no .EXE or .ZIP, etc, must break down all the way to .INF's and SYS/VXD/whatever) the drivers you want into it, then create a new CD. SETUP will use any drivers or any newer files it finds in the \WIN98 folder.

2.)Read up on, and use this.

3.)Purchase RLoew's slipstreaming tools.

I already copied the files from the CD, so I think I'll give the first method a shot. BTW, does this also require that I recompress the files, or can I just leave them sitting in the WIN98 folder?

You specifically said "slipstream"... are you SURE you mean that or do you mean something more like automatically "finding" them during Install (MSBATCH.INF method)? :unsure:

edit - Option#1 is (normally) SOP for OEM's. Above is "alternate" method...

Edited by submix8c

I already copied the files from the CD, so I think I'll give the first method a shot. BTW, does this also require that I recompress the files, or can I just leave them sitting in the WIN98 folder?

You can just leave them sitting there. If they are compressed, they will not be detected.

You specifically said "slipstream"... are you SURE you mean that or do you mean something more like automatically "finding" them during Install (MSBATCH.INF method)? :unsure:

edit - Option#1 is (normally) SOP for OEM's. Above is "alternate" method...

The MSBATCH.INF method sounds interesting. How does it work? I'm a n00b with this kind of stuff. XD

Not much to it... More for OEM-type "unattended" install. All it really does is "point" to a predefined HDD Folder where a given PC's Hardware Drivers have been stored. It involves a "specialized" set of BAT scripts to pre-FDISK and Format a HDD Partition, copy the Install Folder and Drivers (maybe some add-on software/updates), put into the Registry (after Base Install) a few RunOnce Registry settings (for the add-on software/updates). The Drivers are (in the scripts) copied along with the Install Folder (e.g. WIN98) before the "SETUP.EXE" is run and the "SETUP.EXE" simply uses the MSBATCH.INF to determine "what to do" and "where are the added drivers".

Basically, the easy way is to just make a New CD with the Drivers in the WIN98 folder. The Boot Image would need modified to point to a BAT script to pre-Fdisk (with some kind of tool), Format, and Copy (xxcopy maybe?) the WIN98 Folder (drivers and all) to another Folder on the already-formatted Partition and "kick off" the SETUP.EXE. Pretty much doing what Option#1 is but "automated" via BAT script(s). You'll also need a Floppy Image Editor to extract the AUTOEXEC.BAT for modifying (to maybe point to the CD's Install Script).

The FULL Unattended method gets "complicated". You may not want to go there (I don't and recant the suggestion) as the discussion will be a can-of-worms.

I REALLY have to ask... What do you mean "Custom Win98SE Install Disk"? You want to MAKE one from an OEM/Retail/Upgrade CD? If so, then you ARE getting into "Full Unattended". There was a topic some years ago but it's been removed for various reasons (do NOT ask!). Indeed, your "request" is going above and beyond the Win98SE Unofficial SP3. I WILL provide my own "MSBATCH.INF" (sans KEY) but after that, have a good time! Again, TOO COMPLEX! It COULD be simplified (down to the Basics), but I'm not so inclined because of the long drawn-out explanations it would entail. :no::(

MSBATCH_INF.zip