Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

Help me detect what kind of BCD

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

congnt92

congnt92

Junior

• Pip
  • 62 posts
  • Joined 01-April 13
Hi Everybody
I attached some files, the one is BCD File and the one is Bootmgr was modified to reference BCD file. But the size of BCD file very small, only 12kb. And as I know, if we need modify bootmgr, We need Zbootmgr.exe, but Zbootmgr.exe creat bootmgr file only reference to a file with name BC0, BC1. But the name of BCD file which I attach is: BPE ( to Boot Win7PE.WIM). So I think this Bootmgr which I attach was modified by another software. But I don't know the name of the software and I hope somebody will help me

Thanks so much :thumbup :thumbup :thumbup

Attached Files

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

cdob

cdob

MSFN Expert

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,000 posts
  • Joined 29-September 05
What do you like to accomplish?
Ask in more general way?

Don't you use grub4dos already? http://www.msfn.org/...ost__p__1038432

Use a default bootmgr file and edit file in RAM.
Which bootmgr do you use by default?

title Windows 7 setup \\boot\\bc1
#use configfile \boot\bc1
#based on JFX http://sanbarrow.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1807
#Bcdedit.exe /store \boot\bc1 /set {bootmgr} nointegritychecks 1
#use a non default directory at USB drive
set bootmgr=/boot/bootmgr

find --set-root --devices=h %bootmgr%
map --mem %bootmgr% (rd)
#ignore 16-Bit Stub checksum
cat --hex --locate=\x74\x3\xE9\x8\x0\x39\x56 --replace=\xEB\x8\xE9\x8\x0\x39\x56 (rd)+1
#half broken approach, works by chance at:
#Vista SP0, SP1, SP2 and Windows 7 beta 7000, RC 7100, SP0, SP1
#change chars CD from file name BCD                                            #    #
cat --hex --skip=0x48000 --length=0x18000 --number=1 --locate=C\x00D --replace=C\x001 (rd)+1
chainloader (rd)+1
root ()

congnt92

congnt92

Junior

• Pip
  • 62 posts
  • Joined 01-April 13
@cdob.
I want to load multi Wim file by bootmgr. And I want modify bootmgr to reference BCD file.

Grub4dos >> chainloader /bootmgr1. bootmgr1>>>>BC1 and BC1 >>>>Boot1.Wim .....

To do this, I used zbootmgr, but zbootmgr.exe make bootmgr file required the name of BCD file is BC1, BC2 or BC3, .... I want to rename BC1 >> BPE (Boot win 7 PE) and rename BC2 >> BEA (Boot EASEUSPartitionMaster.Wim). However if I rename BC1, BC2 >> BPE, BEA, the wim file cann't be load. So I want to hexedit or modify bootmgr by another software to reference BCD with any name I want (of course it has 3 characters).
Please help me. Thanks

jaclaz

jaclaz

The Finder

• Developer
  • 14,567 posts
  • Joined 23-July 04

So I want to hexedit or modify bootmgr by another software to reference BCD with any name I want (of course it has 3 characters).

What do you think that this lines does EXACTLY? :unsure:

cat --hex --skip=0x48000 --length=0x18000 --number=1 --locate=C\x00D --replace=C\x001 (rd)+1

Try with:

cat --hex --skip=0x48000 --length=0x18000 --number=1 --locate=C\x00D --replace=P\x00E (rd)+1

and:

cat --hex --skip=0x48000 --length=0x18000 --number=1 --locate=C\x00D --replace=E\x00A (rd)+1

Whether it will work or not is another thing.

jaclaz

congnt92

congnt92

Junior

• Pip
  • 62 posts
  • Joined 01-April 13
Many thanks to Cdob and jaclaz. I used hexedit bootmgr successful.
And still I have a question. I using method on this tut

http://www.rmprepusb...and-server-2008

But I must type CD key when setup Windows 8. I put Ei.cfg on W864 folder to fix it. But I didn't success. So, how do i fix it?
P/s: Here my ei.cfg

[EditionID]
Enterprise

[Channel]
Volume

[VL]

Edited by congnt92, 01 May 2013 - 11:06 PM.

jaclaz

jaclaz

The Finder

• Developer
  • 14,567 posts
  • Joined 23-July 04

But I must type CD key when setup Windows 8. I put Ei.cfg on W864 folder to fix it. But I didn't success. So, how do i fix it?

I beg your pardon?
What is the "CD key"? :unsure:

jaclaz

congnt92

congnt92

Junior

• Pip
  • 62 posts
  • Joined 01-April 13
I'm sorry for my big mistake. Maybe it's not CD key. But I must be type the key to continuing the installation.

jaclaz

jaclaz

The Finder

• Developer
  • 14,567 posts
  • Joined 23-July 04

I'm sorry for my big mistake. Maybe it's not CD key. But I must be type the key to continuing the installation.

Maybe there is a language issue.
A "key" is a piece of plastic (normally square) that you find on a keyboard and that when pressed sends a hex code to the PC (normally a single character).
I have no keys on my keyboard marked as "CD". :no:

Maybe you mean a command, but then "CD" by itself is not a command (and actually is not a grub4dos command anyway).

Try re-describing in different words BUT EXACTLY what happens and what actions you need to perform to continue the installation, right now your report sounds like:

I have to barbregild the crontiress, feliddly, of course.

:w00t:
I.e. non-english, non-sense.

jaclaz

congnt92

congnt92

Junior

• Pip
  • 62 posts
  • Joined 01-April 13
[/quote]
Maybe there is a language issue.
jaclaz
[/quote]

That's true. Please excuse me for my poor English. When I setup windows 8, I need a key to continue the installation. If I don't enter the key, "next" buton is hided and I can't press Next buton. So how do pass step enter key to setup windows 8. I tried to pass this step by Ei.cfg file but I didn't not success.

wimb

wimb

• Developer
  • 679 posts
  • Joined 21-March 07

When I setup windows 8, I need a key to continue the installation. If I don't enter the key, "next" buton is hided and I can't press Next buton. So how do pass step enter key to setup windows 8.

Boot with 7 / 8 / 7PE and use WinNTSetup2.exe to Install Windows 8 using mounted Win 8 Setup ISO file.
That works OK !

:)

Edited by wimb, 02 May 2013 - 06:14 AM.

congnt92

congnt92

Junior

• Pip
  • 62 posts
  • Joined 01-April 13
I'm sorry but seem you don't understand my problem.
My problem in here :yes:

Posted Image

As you see, if we don't type the product key, the installation can't continuting. So, how do fix it? ;)

jaclaz

jaclaz

The Finder

• Developer
  • 14,567 posts
  • Joined 23-July 04
Well, now that we cleared the language issue, just for the record "you are requested to input the Product key", it all makes sense :thumbup .

Any "normal" install will "normally" ask for a product key (no matter from what device you start the install).
You may want/need to use an "unattended" or "partially unattended" setup, basically you write the Product Key (and possibly other "standard settiings") into a configuration file that is automatically processed by the setup.
Start here:
http://www.msfn.org/...s-8server-2012/

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz, 02 May 2013 - 06:46 AM.

congnt92

congnt92

Junior

• Pip
  • 62 posts
  • Joined 01-April 13
Ah, I'm will read now. And I want to hexedit bootmgr windows 8. It's similar to in hexedit bootmgr windows 7 ? So, I must change value on offset 0x54696,... That's right?

wimb

wimb

• Developer
  • 679 posts
  • Joined 21-March 07

IAs you see, if we don't type the product key, the installation can't continuting. So, how do fix it? ;)

Use WinNTSetup2_x86.exe and you will see that you can Skip that step ....

But you did not try .....

:)

Edited by wimb, 02 May 2013 - 07:40 AM.

congnt92

congnt92

Junior

• Pip
  • 62 posts
  • Joined 01-April 13
thanks wimb but I want to creat usb setup both of windows 8 and windows 7. And I want to moditfy bootmgr >> BCD >> boot1.wim >> W732bit\Install.wim. I hexedit bootmgr windows 7 successful. But bootmgr windows 8 seem difference. Can I hex edit bootmgr windows 8, too ?

congnt92

congnt92

Junior

• Pip
  • 62 posts
  • Joined 01-April 13
Here my unattend.xml file. But It's not working.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<unattend xmlns="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:unattend">
<settings pass="specialize">
<component name="Microsoft-Windows-Shell-Setup" processorArchitecture="x86" publicKeyToken="31bf3856ad364e35" language="neutral" versionScope="nonSxS" xmlns:wcm="http://schemas.micro...fig/2002/State" xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/20...hema-instance">
<ProductKey>xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx</ProductKey>
</component>
</settings>
<cpi:offlineImage cpi:source="wim:D:/W864/install.wim#Windows 8 Pro" xmlns:cpi="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:cpi" />
</unattend>

Please help me edit to the correct one.

Edited by congnt92, 02 May 2013 - 11:16 PM.

congnt92

congnt92

Junior

• Pip
  • 62 posts
  • Joined 01-April 13
help me please

jaclaz

jaclaz

The Finder

• Developer
  • 14,567 posts
  • Joined 23-July 04
The board has sections.
You asked in a section called "Install Windows from USB" a question related to "Installing Windows from USB" and you got your reply. :thumbup
Then you posted in the same thread a question that is related to "Unattended Windwos install" and casually we do have a section called :
MSFN Forum
> Unattended Windows Discussion & Support
> Unattended Windows 8/Server 2012
http://www.msfn.org/...s-8server-2012/
Now it is more probable that people interested in USB install will look here, ad people interested/expert in "Unattended install" looks THERE:
Start a new thread THERE with your question/issues related to "Unattended".

Consider that you normally would allow a reasonable amount of time, like two or three days, before "bumping" a thread, and usually knowledgeable board members don't like helping people that start whining/begging for help if they don't get a reply within a few hours:

help me please

jaclaz

congnt92

congnt92

Junior

• Pip
  • 62 posts
  • Joined 01-April 13

The board has sections.
Then you posted in the same thread a question that is related to "Unattended Windwos install" and casually we do have a section called ...
jaclaz

I know but I want to start new thread with only one small question :)
Can I ask a question from here ?

jaclaz

jaclaz

The Finder

• Developer
  • 14,567 posts
  • Joined 23-July 04

I know but I want to start new thread with only one small question :)
Can I ask a question from here ?

Sure you can ask questions :) , the point being if people looking in this area may be able to answer it.... AND there is the whole philosophical point about the utility of answers on a board. :w00t:
The general idea is that people trying to help you or answering your questions don' t do it ONLY to help you, but rather to provide something (hopefully) usefull to *all* people having the same questions.
The more a thread is "on topic", the more it is likely that it will help other people having the same problem.
One thread = One Topic = One Problem/Question = One (hopefully) solution/answer.

You are not charged a fee for starting a new topic ;) , if threads become of the type "help congnt92 on each and every possible question he may have" it may possibly be more convenient to you but hardly so for all the other peeps....

jaclaz

congnt92

congnt92

Junior

• Pip
  • 62 posts
  • Joined 01-April 13

One thread = One Topic = One Problem/Question = One (hopefully) solution/answer.
You are not charged a fee for starting a new topic ;) , if threads become of the type "help congnt92 on each and every possible question he may have" it may possibly be more convenient to you but hardly so for all the other peeps....
jaclaz

So, I want to disable "Windows is loading files" status bar when setup windows 8. Where can I post?
My problem is: the circle cover "Windows is loading files" status bar.

Posted Image

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Please excuse me If I'm wrong when post here

jaclaz

jaclaz

The Finder

• Developer
  • 14,567 posts
  • Joined 23-July 04

Where can I post?

Try here:
http://www.msfn.org/.../174-windows-8/