[Solved] Annoying pop ups!

bookie32

I don't ignore the advice of members on this forum?!!

I followed the advice in your link and it doesn't change a thing just as is written in a post in the link....

bookie32

I will try again. :)

Can you please check IF by any chance the files (which I presume being stored on a NTFS volume, but you failed to provide a confirmation about) do have an Alternate Data Stream?

If yes, can you try and delete this ADS from a few of those files and check if the behaviour remains the same?

JFYI, this does NOT provide *any* meaningful info:

I followed the advice in your link and it doesn't change a thing just as is written in a post in the link....

bookie32

Which link?

Which advice in it?

Which post in the link?

:w00t:

I find it hard to Believe that no one else organises their shortcuts to websites on the computer and not via Internet Explorer's organise favourites...

There must be others that have found the actual settings in Internet Explorer that allow movement of url's on the computer without the annoying popups...!!

Whining and ranting dont normally help much in solving a problem, often diagnosing it helps more.

jaclaz

bookie32, I just reread your posts more closely and realized you were using Windows Explorer to rearrange your shortcuts, not Internet Explorer. Sorry for my misunderstanding. Using the few default Favorites stored in C:\Users\Administrator\Favorites\, as I said, I don't use IE so there weren't many there, I tried to move them using Windows Explorer and I think I got the same error you're talking about -

These files might be harmful to your computer

Your Internet security settings suggest that one or more files may be harmful. Do you want to use it anyway?

C:\Users\Administrator\Favorites\Links

If I was trying to move shortcuts that way and got a popup for every shortcut I wanted to move I can see how that would be annoying. For me, the files are indeed stored on an NTFS volume, and they are just Internet shortcuts, nothing special. I tried to use NirSoft's AlternateStreamView x64 v1.40 and it didn't indicate that these shortcuts had any Alternate Data Stream, if I used it correctly.

jaclaz, if I understand what I'm seeing correctly, the "issue" does not seem to be with the files themselves, but rather the location is being "protected" by Windows when moving files between two open Windows Explorer windows.

I tried this test. I had a shortcut "USA.gov", ("http://www.usa.gov/"), in "C:\Users\Administrator\Favorites\Links for United States" - [henceforth referred to as "OriginalFolder"]. FWIW, Windows Explorer let me rename, and even edit the properties of the shortcut however I wanted with no warnings of any kind.

I created three test folders "C:\test1" ["test1"], "C:\test2" ["test2"], and "C:\Users\Administrator\Favorites\test3" ["test3"].

Using Windows Explorer I opened "OriginalFolder" and moved the shortcut to "test3" by dragging the shortcut from the open folder to "test3" over in the left-hand column of the same Windows Explorer window. No warning. I put the shortcut back in the "OriginalFolder" in a similar manner. No warning.

I opened "OriginalFolder" and I also opened "test3" in a separate window and tried to move the shortcut by dragging the file between the two windows similar to what bookie32 showed in his pic in post 9 and I got the above warning.

I could also move the shortcut from "OriginalFolder" to "test1" or "test2" in the left-hand column of the same Windows Explorer window and back with no warning. Moving it from "OriginalFolder" to either "test1" or "test2" opened in a separate window got the warning. Once in "test1", I could move the shortcut to "test2" or anywhere else on any disk in my system using the same or separate windows with no warning. But once the shortcut was in "C:\Users\Administrator\Favorites\" or any subfolder, then I got the warning if I tried to move the shortcut to any other location opened in a separate window.

So, any ideas how to allow moving the shortcuts between windows in the "C:\Users\Administrator\Favorites\" tree without getting a warning?

bookie32, in the meantime, it looks like as long as you move the files using only one Windows Explorer window you should be fine.

Cheers and Regards

Edited by bphlpt

Hi guys :blushing:

Sorry, this is so frustrating....nothing personal intended....my apologies...

jaclaz

This link had a suggestion

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windows/en-US/7aaa9657-123e-4b4e-b31b-4e04543c13cf/windows-7-local-shortcuts-do-you-want-to-open-this-file-warning?forum=w7itproperf

As I know, it is a security warning to make sure that the user really want to take an action. It's a safety feature, why don't you want to get rid of it?

As a work around, I would like to propose the following suggestions:

1. Change User Account Control Settings.

1) Click the Start button and type: UAC in the Search box.
2) Click "Change User Account Control Settings".
3) Drag the slider to a lower setting.
4) Click OK.

2. Configure Group Policy Settings.

1) Click the Start menu and type: GPedit.msc in the Search box.
2) Click on gpedit.
3) Navigate to the following entry:

User Configuration\Administrative Templates\Windows Components\Attachment Manager

In the right panel of the Local Group Policy Editor, find the entry: Inclusion list for moderate risk file types. Double click the entry and check "Enabled".

4) Under 'Inclusion list for moderate risk file types', type the file types: .ink (shortcut types)
5) Click OK and restart the computer.

Best Regards

This doesn't work.....not for me anyway...

I found this little program for checking ADS generally...

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/alternate_data_streams.html

When I ran the program on the whole favourite folder it didn't find any Zone Identifier - but found a ton of favicon data.. they say this about the data..

About Alternate Streams in NTFS File System NTFS system has a feature that allows you to add multiple streams in addition to the main file stream. When you open or view the file, only the main file stream is visible, while other additional streams are hidden from the user.

Here's 3 examples of alternate streams usage in Windows operating system:

1. Favorites of Internet Explorer: When You add a Web site link into your 'Favorites', a .url file containing the url and description is created. However, if the Web site also have an icon (favicon), the icon is saved as alternate stream for the same url file. The stream name of the icon is :favicon:$DATA
  2. Downloaded files of Internet Explorer: When you download and save a file with Internet Explorer, it automatically add a zone information for the saved file. This zone information is used for identifying the file as downloaded file from the Internet. The stream name in this case is :Zone.Identifier:$DATA
  3. Summary information of files: When you right-click on a file in Explorer and go to the 'Summary' tab, you can add summary information for the file, like title, subject, author, and so on. This summary information is also saved into alternate stream. The stream name in this case is SummaryInformation:$DATA.
  4. In addition to the legitimate usage of alternate streams, this technique may also be used by Viruses/Trojans/Spywares for saving data and hiding it from the user.

bphlpt

I thank you for running tests to try this :thumbup

I see what you are saying and will look at doing it that way for the time being...

I also did some digging in the gpedit.msc...but it is a jungle...and after testing implimenting several security options I gave up... :realmad:

It is an interesting question......lol

bookie32

Good. :)

Now we know that the issue is NOT connected to ADS, and we can move to *something* else.

@bookie32

Is there a (valid) reason to do this moving of favorites in Explorer?

I mean, can you try running 7-zip (in dual pane mode) and try doing the same?

This way we get to understand if it is "explorer specific" or "system specific".

I am also not understanding if these "favorites" have a .lnk or a .url extension. :unsure:

@bhplt

Is this the error message?

http://superuser.com/questions/149056/disable-these-files-might-be-harmful-to-your-computer-warning

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windows/en-US/35ca8f9c-5e69-4b7f-a002-0d72fa0dc14b/possible-bug-how-do-you-prevent-windows-security-from-questioning-access-to-zip-files-on-lan-nas?forum=w7itprosecurity

according to the above it seems like connected to the list of Internet Explorer Local Intranet sites, see also:

http://channel9.msdn.com/Forums/TechOff/513454-QA-How-to-turn-off-network-share-explorer-execution-warnings

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/303650/en-us

jaclaz

Yes. However the recommended solution of adding the IP address of the machine to the list of Internet Explorer Local Intranet sites in Internet Options did not change the behavior I described above. Windows Explorer still seems to "protect" the "C:\Users\Administrator\Favorites\" tree. I have not tried to see if this behavior exists for other users since this machine has only one. I expect it "protects" the entire "C:\Users\" tree but that's just a guess.

The favorite I used in my simple test had an .url extension.

I don't know for sure what bookie32's reasons are for using Explorer for this organizational task, other than it is built-in and familiar. I don't know how difficult it is to do it in IE itself, and I have no interest in even trying it to see. But your idea of using an alternative to Windows Explorer seems to have helped narrow the behavior to being "explorer specific" and not "system specific". Doing the same tests above using 7-zip (in dual pane mode) did not produce any warnings at all, and seems a wonderfully easy and free way for him to accomplish his goals without encountering the warnings. He might also find other alternatives here - http://www.tomsguide.com/us/pictures-story/470-windows-explorer-extensions-replacements.html and many other places with just a little searching. None of this answers the question why we can't seem to get rid of the warning in Windows Explorer, but then this isn't the first time we have had to deal with "that's just the way that MS implemented it and you can take it or leave it". I guess that's one of the reasons that alternatives were created. :)

Cheers and Regards

Hi guys :D

OK! when I am working on a specific project I tend to save my favourites in my favourite bar with the click > for quickness....I then spend a few minute sorting them to the specific folders I want to save them for future use.

I could use the "organise favourites" in the menu favourites - but that window that opens is quite restrictive and hence I open to instances of windows explorer and with a full screen I can quickly determine where I want to move the .url's (in answer to your question jaclaz)

I tried to send some files from one window to zip and then drag the zip file but the same warning comes up..... :(

I will add that I moved my user account to another hard drive for safety reasons and ease of reinstall or reinstating an image to the C: drive.

I do thank your interest and will continue to look at this....so wont call it solved until some bright spark knows how to stop the popups without compromising the security of the computer.....

booke32

But your idea of using an alternative to Windows Explorer seems to have helped narrow the behavior to being "explorer specific" and not "system specific". Doing the same tests above using 7-zip (in dual pane mode) did not produce any warnings at all, and seems a wonderfully easy and free way for him to accomplish his goals without encountering the warnings.

Very good :), the problem is then now (in my perverted mind ;)) downgraded to "non-problem".

OFM's :w00t: :

http://www.softpanorama.org/OFM/index.shtml

:yes: or more generally dual-pane file managers are the exact type of tool for the task at hand, and I would guess that anyone not having 7-zip already on his/her system has some more serious problems anyway :lol: .

@bookie32

You are IMHO falling in the usual X/Y problem:

http://perl.plover.com./Questions3.html

What you want to do can be easily achieved using method W, there is no sense in banging your head over and over against a wall because you want to use method X instead (or method Z :ph34r:)

Goal:organize favorites

Best method/tool to reach the goal: dual pane file manager

Suggested tool : 7-zip (that you should have anyway on your system)

Case closed.

jaclaz

Hi again....

OK dragging between two instances of 7zip solves the popup problem....BUT...7zip doesn't see the favourite bar folder...?

So, that sort of defeats the object....lol

bookie32

BTW, noone talked of two instances of 7-zip, rather of a single instance of it in dual pane mode.

What do you mean by the "favourite bar folder"? :unsure:

Isn't it like described in the "Note" here:

http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/25190-internet-explorer-favorites-bar-customize-title-widths.html

or here:

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r25853423-IE-Location-of-Favorites-Bar-in-IE8

jaclaz

Hi jaclaz!

You are so right!!!

OK the favourites bar folder is the folder for all your links as shown in pic but in this pic it has the Swedish name of "Fältet Favoriter" which didn't show up in 7zip when I first looked...

As you can see my folders are all capitals and the favourites folder for internet explorer, as shown in another pic, is in lowercase....

Now I promise you there was no listing of a folder with lower case the first time I looked, so after looking at your links I renamed it to LINKS...when opened 7zip sure enough there was a folder LINKS albeit in lowercase....

I have since renamed it again to "Fältet Favoriter" to test a theory and sure enough when I open 7zip there is the folder "Fältet Favoriter" - BUT with the name links in lowercase....

So, I can say this is a great solution to my problem even if it is Windows problem....

I will mark this as "Solution" Solved.

post-163324-0-86482300-1389515172_thumb.

post-163324-0-97994300-1389515222_thumb.

post-163324-0-15202100-1389515252_thumb.

The "uppercase" vs."lowercase" is "queer", unless it is related to Swedish :unsure: language.

Which version of 7-zip are you running?

Can you try again with some other files/folders?

Maybe it's some stupid setting of the stupid OS, there was something like that in the good ol' times, and possibly it is still there, those names are not "lowercase", but rather "mixed case" with uppercase initial, they appear to be the effect of the "missing" DontPrettyPath in the Registry:

http://www.pctools.com/guides/registry/detail/768/

or some other obscure setting related to the specific folder.

jaclaz

Hi jaclaz!

Well, I changed the DontPrettyPath....but can't say at the moment if it did anything pertaining to this...

But...lol...I did change the name "Links" to "LINKS" in 7zip (which BTW is 9.20 for 64bit) and next time I opened favourites with 7zip it was capitals....

So, all's well and ends well....lol

Thanks to everyone that helped on this!

Much appreciated!

bookie32