Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

Backwards compatibility

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

cheesenose

cheesenose
  • 1 posts
  • Joined 14-May 13
Hi, just a simple question.

I have windows 98se, how backwards compatible is it with other versions of windows.

I'm basically interested in knowing if I can use software from say windows 3.1

I searched here and the web, all anyone talks about is backwards compatibility between windows 98, xp, and 7, I can't seem to find any topics on 9X compatibility with pre 9X software.

Thanks.

Edited by cheesenose, 14 May 2013 - 09:52 PM.

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

CharlotteTheHarlot

CharlotteTheHarlot

MSFN Master

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,054 posts
  • Joined 24-September 07
Yes, it will run fine.

"Win3x software" is generally meant to mean 16-bit Windows software but in actuality can also mean DOS software ( 16-bit naturally ) which is what most software was in the early Windows era. They are two separate things Windows 16-bit and DOS software, but they all will run fine in Win9x.

Almost everything used in the 16-bit Windows 3.x era was eventually re-written to 32-bit Windows ( maybe a few games were not ) so I would be curious as to what you still have that is 16-bit.

... Let him who hath understanding reckon the Number Of The Beast ...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users