Monitor display

mike13

I have a Dell computer running Win 8, and a Asus 23 inch monitor. I had the display set at 1440 X 900 and I was happy. The picture went from end to end of the monitor. I think the computer has the onboard intel graphics 2000 .and my connections were a HDMI on the computer to a HDMI on the monitor. Anyway, I got another Dell computer that has the intel 4000 onboard graphics etc. I am using a Display port from the computer to a DVI on the monitor. The only setting that will display my desktop from end to end of the monitor is a 1990 X ??? I forget the other number. Anyway, it is the default setting. That is OK, but everything is too small. I liked the old 1440 X 900 setting. But if I choose that setting, I get about a one inch block of black on each side of the monitor. What can I do to fix this setting ? I don't think the connections have anything to do with it ???? If I waited for Newegg or TigerDirect to offer a cheap video card maybe for free, would that fix the problem. Suggestions, please. Mike

With lcd screen, you have a default resolution that should be used mostly (others might need you to tune either the driver settings or the monitor settings) because it has the best quality. You can still change your windows display settings to allow bigger fonts and icons.

More specifically any LCD screen (unlike CRT) has a physical number of pixels.

That number is called "native resolution", for a 23" it is normally 1920x1080 and it is declared on the manua or can be found with the exact model.

See:

http://www.howtogeek.com/119117/htg-explains-why-using-your-monitors-native-resolution-is-important/

The best settings is always to have the LCD screen run at native resolution and then as allen2 pointed out, adapt the size of text, icons, etc. to fit your likings.

The settings for Windows 7 (I think 8 would be the same) are in DPI, see:

http://superuser.com/questions/184913/cannot-change-text-dpi-setting-in-windows-7-starter

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\FontDPI

LogPixels

Small (100%) = 96

Medium (125%) = 120

Larger (150%) = 144

See also this:

http://marc.durdin.net/2011/07/fixing-windows-font-scaling-without.html

(there may be additional issues with a few fonts that have "special versions" for different DPI)

jaclaz

Thanks allen2, and jaclaz for the replies. Late last evening I was reading some literature that came with the mouse. It referenced different DPI settings. Maybe it is just a matter of setting the mouse for bigger sizing, after I reset the display to 1920 X 1080 I will check it out this evening after work. Thanks, Mike

Thanks allen2, and jaclaz for the replies. Late last evening I was reading some literature that came with the mouse. It referenced different DPI settings. Maybe it is just a matter of setting the mouse for bigger sizing, after I reset the display to 1920 X 1080 I will check it out this evening after work. Thanks, Mike

Well, no. :no:

Mouse settings are a very different thing, and actually a re-known "can of worms", the good MS guys even invented (unneededly/senselessly) a new unit of measure for it, the "mickey", ONLY for the fun of it, see :ph34r: :

The settings we are talking about are in Control Panel-> Display (not in "Mouse").

jaclaz

allen2 and jaclaz, Thanks for the replies. I went back and set the resolution to 1920 X 1080 as you suggested. I then put display setting at 125% and all is good again. Many thanks, Mike