Weird forum posting issue

JorgeA

But I doubt that you (we) can stop the mindless from mindlessly go towards what they mindlessly think is the future. :(

Wow! "To mindlessly go towards a mindless misconception of the future" is a quite memorable paraphrase of the most famous among Star Treck Intro's lines, and is an epic apophthegm in itself! worship.gif

The Win7 PC has a solid-state drive for the operating system. Supposing that in the end I decide to downgrade to IE8 instead of adopting one of the alternative browsers -- is there anything special or different to keep in mind when doing a full backup of an SSD, or not really?

No, not really. An SSD is just another disk, for a byte-by-byte image... with the added advantage that it probably is 128 GB or smaller, so that the full-disk backup outweights the full-partition idea. How big is it, in fact?

But I doubt that you (we) can stop the mindless from mindlessly go towards what they mindlessly think is the future. :(

Wow! "To mindlessly go towards a mindless misconception of the future" is a quite memorable paraphrase of the most famous among Star Treck Intro's lines, and is an epic apophthegm in itself! worship.gif

Yep :yes: , but a better paraphrase (and a wish ;) ) would be "to boldly start kicking the mindless jerks' asses (real hard, BTW)" :whistle:

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz

The Win7 PC has a solid-state drive for the operating system. Supposing that in the end I decide to downgrade to IE8 instead of adopting one of the alternative browsers -- is there anything special or different to keep in mind when doing a full backup of an SSD, or not really?

No, not really. An SSD is just another disk, for a byte-by-byte image... with the added advantage that it probably is 128 GB or smaller, so that the full-disk backup outweights the full-partition idea. How big is it, in fact?

Cool, that's good to know.

The SSD is 120GB, and is divided into a 100 MB "system" partition, an OS (C:) partition, and a Recovery (D:) partition.

--JorgeA

Edited by JorgeA

Good. 120 GB is small enough to create a real forensic full-disk (= dumb, byte-by-byte) image.

Thanks, dencorso. I will adopt your suggestion no matter which browser I end up going with. It's something I should probably do anyway before starting to work fulltime on the new PC.

--JorgeA

I always do it first thing when I buy a netbook or notebook. It gives me confidence, since whatever mistake I may make afterwards can be easily corrected. I don't do it first thing on desktops because I always build my desktops myself, so that, for them, my first full image is done only after the moment I install and activate XP on them.

First experiment: I tried entering and posting on MSFN via Avant Browser. To my surprise, I was already logged in -- it seems to have picked up my login credentials off IE9.

When I tried inserting a link or adding formatting tags, the same thing happened as before: the info shot up to the top left.

In Avant, you can change the rendering engine. I had it set to IE. When I reset it to Firefox, I was able to enter the link and tags correctly. But the Arial Black font showed up as a Roman-family serif font.

More seriously, when I then tried to submit the post, I got the following error message from MSFN:

Aaarrgghhh!!! I've been getting "this upload failed" errors ALL DAY LONG on this board. :angry: Couldn't upload the JPG here in Win7 IE9, nor could I upload a different JPG to the "Deeper Impressions" thread over in Vista IE8.

Anyway, the meat of the forum error is that "Your secure key, used to verify that you are posting the topic, did not match the one submitted. Please go back, reload the form, and try again." And I was logged out involuntarily. However, after closing the tab and re-entering MSFN, I was still (again?) logged in. :wacko:

It's getting late where I am, and this is annoying, so I MAY try what it suggests tomorrow. Next experiment was going to be trying to post via Pale Moon.

--JorgeA

Not just this board.

I get same here attaching a picture Error This upload failed

But tried uploading to mediafire also and it is running back and forth. Made it to 99% but then it dropped back to 0. then failed with Connection timeout. Error# -502

I have tried with Fox 21.0 and IE 10 with same issues.

Can download but no upload today. Totally weird

Edit mediafire finally went through when I got back home been away about 12 hours but still can't upload here.

Edited by maxXPsoft

Edit mediafire finally went through when I got back home been away about 12 hours but still can't upload here.

Yup, today I still can't upload the JPG.

Wonder what the heck is going on.

--JorgeA

Glad to see that MSFN is back :thumbup , but we seem to have lost a bunch of posts since June 3.

Among the missing posts are some where I reported having renewed by MSFN sponsorship AND also making a small donation on top of that. For a while my name was back in gold, but now I see that it's in blue once again, as if I hadn't renewed.

I will be happy to PM or otherwise communicate with the Powers That Be in order to prove that I did renew my sponsorship and then separately made a donation.

I expect that anybody who donated or subscribed to MSFN this week may be affected.

Will go back to the IE9 on Windows 7 and see if the posting issue that got this thread started, has been fixed.

--JorgeA

Edited by JorgeA

link insertion functionThis is a test after the MSFN reset.

This is a test of placing formatting tags around selected text.

Formatting tags are showing up where intended.

This is a test of the link insertion function.

Links are still shooting up to the beginning of the post, rather than around the intended, selected text.

--JorgeA

EDIT: Tests performed in IE9, Windows 7 Home Premium

Edited by JorgeA

This is a test of these several functions in Pale Moon.

This is a test for text formatting.

This is a test for link insertion.

It shows up fine in Pale Moon.

Sadly, though, the Norton Toolbar is not supported in Pale Moon, although it is supported in Firefox. Assuming that these functions also work well in standard FF, may have to switch to it as the default browser for the Win7 system, but I'd hate to lose the functional Status Bar or deal with the constant upgrades.

--JorgeA

I did renew my sponsorship and then separately made a donation.

I expect that anybody who donated or subscribed to MSFN this week may be affected.

Sure. I'll see that it gets fixed. Your Supreme Sponsor donation I remember well, because we exchanged posts about it. Any other Sponsor donnor who lost the badge please PM me. Rest assured it may take some days, but it'll be fixed.