Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

Weird forum posting issue

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

JorgeA

JorgeA

FORMAT B: /V /S

• MSFN Sponsor
  • 3,086 posts

As yet another instance of how IPB has FOOBAR'd various forums you can read this thread. In my limited experience, it seems that the IPB folks will eventually address some of the reported bugs, (more likely if you have a paid support plan), but ONLY if you prove the bug exists multiple times with examples including screenshots and videos, and then ONLY if they can reproduce it themselves, and then ONLY if they can't figure out a way to blame the behavior on the browser you are using and then ONLY if if doesn't interfere with the vision they have of the way they think the board software should operate. No, no. No bitterness at all on my part. :)

I just finished reading through that thread. Sounds like my issue is trivial compared to the f-ups you and others have experienced! :wacko:

Especially "liked" the catch-22 aspect of your trying to report the problem in a new forum, where your first post won't be shown until it's approved by a moderator, yet the forum isn't read or monitored by administrators or moderators. :wacko:

--JorgeA

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

JorgeA

JorgeA

• MSFN Sponsor
  • 3,086 posts

While we're talking about Opera ... news I posted here.

I'm not happy this morning! :realmad:

That's good, as I am also not happy and it would have been unfair to be alone in unhappyness ;).

This poll (I would say preliminary results):
http://my.opera.com/....dml?id=1679432
seems like confirming our thoughts.

But I doubt that you (we) can stop the mindless from mindlessly go towards what they mindlessly think is the future. :(

jaclaz

Too bad, it looks like Opera will never even make it to my list of candidates for a new browser.

This really looks like a computing trend now, to remove UI customization options and adopt a hard "take it or leave it" attitude. :angry:

--JorgeA

JorgeA

JorgeA

• MSFN Sponsor
  • 3,086 posts

In case someone has some spare 5 bucks without a use for them :w00t: , this seems nice:
http://www.addictive...kbar-with-bins/
Posted Image

How about that, I actually found myself mousing over the "broken fence" icon in the Taskbar (the one that's two to the right of the Start Button) to see what it was... :blushing:

--JorgeA

jaclaz

jaclaz

The Finder

• Developer
  • 14,212 posts

How about that, I actually found myself mousing over the "broken fence" icon in the Taskbar (the one that's two to the right of the Start Button) to see what it was... :blushing:

Well, it is an icon on the taskbar representing a "broken fence". :w00t:
Ceci n'est pas une pipe. :ph34r:

jaclaz

JorgeA

JorgeA

• MSFN Sponsor
  • 3,086 posts

Well, it is an icon on the taskbar representing a "broken fence". :w00t:
Ceci n'est pas une pipe. :ph34r:

jaclaz

Funny :lol: , but what I was curious about was what software the "broken fence" icon represents. You know, in the same way that the "folder" icon next to it represents Windows Explorer.

Somehow, I doubt that it's really nothing more than a "broken fence" icon with no other function than to look like a broken fence...

--JorgeA

Edited by JorgeA, 29 May 2013 - 09:37 AM.

dencorso

dencorso

Adiuvat plus qui nihil obstat

• Supervisor
  • 5,841 posts

Donator

But I doubt that you (we) can stop the mindless from mindlessly go towards what they mindlessly think is the future. :(

Wow! "To mindlessly go towards a mindless misconception of the future" is a quite memorable paraphrase of the most famous among Star Treck Intro's lines, and is an epic apophthegm in itself! Posted Image

The Win7 PC has a solid-state drive for the operating system. Supposing that in the end I decide to downgrade to IE8 instead of adopting one of the alternative browsers -- is there anything special or different to keep in mind when doing a full backup of an SSD, or not really?

No, not really. An SSD is just another disk, for a byte-by-byte image... with the added advantage that it probably is 128 GB or smaller, so that the full-disk backup outweights the full-partition idea. How big is it, in fact?

jaclaz

jaclaz

The Finder

• Developer
  • 14,212 posts

Wow! "To mindlessly go towards a mindless misconception of the future" is a quite memorable paraphrase of the most famous among Star Treck Intro's lines, and is an epic apophthegm in itself! Posted Image

Yep :yes: , but a better paraphrase (and a wish ;) ) would be "to boldly start kicking the mindless jerks' asses (real hard, BTW)" :whistle:

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz, 29 May 2013 - 11:40 AM.

JorgeA

JorgeA

• MSFN Sponsor
  • 3,086 posts

The Win7 PC has a solid-state drive for the operating system. Supposing that in the end I decide to downgrade to IE8 instead of adopting one of the alternative browsers -- is there anything special or different to keep in mind when doing a full backup of an SSD, or not really?

No, not really. An SSD is just another disk, for a byte-by-byte image... with the added advantage that it probably is 128 GB or smaller, so that the full-disk backup outweights the full-partition idea. How big is it, in fact?

Cool, that's good to know.

The SSD is 120GB, and is divided into a 100 MB "system" partition, an OS (C:) partition, and a Recovery (D:) partition.

--JorgeA

Edited by JorgeA, 29 May 2013 - 09:02 PM.

dencorso

dencorso

• Supervisor
  • 5,841 posts

Donator

Good. 120 GB is small enough to create a real forensic full-disk (= dumb, byte-by-byte) image.

JorgeA

JorgeA

• MSFN Sponsor
  • 3,086 posts

Good. 120 GB is small enough to create a real forensic full-disk (= dumb, byte-by-byte) image.

Thanks, dencorso. I will adopt your suggestion no matter which browser I end up going with. It's something I should probably do anyway before starting to work fulltime on the new PC.

--JorgeA

dencorso

dencorso

• Supervisor
  • 5,841 posts

Donator

I always do it first thing when I buy a netbook or notebook. It gives me confidence, since whatever mistake I may make afterwards can be easily corrected. I don't do it first thing on desktops because I always build my desktops myself, so that, for them, my first full image is done only after the moment I install and activate XP on them.

JorgeA

JorgeA

• MSFN Sponsor
  • 3,086 posts
First experiment: I tried entering and posting on MSFN via Avant Browser. To my surprise, I was already logged in -- it seems to have picked up my login credentials off IE9.

When I tried inserting a link or adding formatting tags, the same thing happened as before: the info shot up to the top left.

In Avant, you can change the rendering engine. I had it set to IE. When I reset it to Firefox, I was able to enter the link and tags correctly. But the Arial Black font showed up as a Roman-family serif font.

More seriously, when I then tried to submit the post, I got the following error message from MSFN:

Aaarrgghhh!!! I've been getting "this upload failed" errors ALL DAY LONG on this board. :angry: Couldn't upload the JPG here in Win7 IE9, nor could I upload a different JPG to the "Deeper Impressions" thread over in Vista IE8.

Anyway, the meat of the forum error is that "Your secure key, used to verify that you are posting the topic, did not match the one submitted. Please go back, reload the form, and try again." And I was logged out involuntarily. However, after closing the tab and re-entering MSFN, I was still (again?) logged in. :wacko:

It's getting late where I am, and this is annoying, so I MAY try what it suggests tomorrow. Next experiment was going to be trying to post via Pale Moon.

--JorgeA

maxXPsoft

maxXPsoft

MSFN Master

• Developer
  • 2,881 posts
Not just this board.
I get same here attaching a picture Error This upload failed

But tried uploading to mediafire also and it is running back and forth. Made it to 99% but then it dropped back to 0. then failed with Connection timeout. Error# -502
I have tried with Fox 21.0 and IE 10 with same issues.
Can download but no upload today. Totally weird

Edit mediafire finally went through when I got back home been away about 12 hours but still can't upload here.

Edited by maxXPsoft, 03 June 2013 - 12:59 AM.

Download ++> Windows 7 + 8 Unattended DVD + App Installer + Services Disabler + Load All Button + XML Creator
Jump2Reg - Registry: - Oct 4, 2013 - Version 3.0.4 - 98, ME, NT, 2K, XP, VISTA, Seven, Windows 8+ and 32 or 64 bit

XP Unattended CD/DVD creator - Version 4.1.7
Sample xml + Setupcomplete + Add Right click .wim Windows 7 or Windows 8/8.1

JorgeA

JorgeA

• MSFN Sponsor
  • 3,086 posts

Edit mediafire finally went through when I got back home been away about 12 hours but still can't upload here.

Yup, today I still can't upload the JPG.

Wonder what the heck is going on.

--JorgeA

maxXPsoft

maxXPsoft

MSFN Master

• Developer
  • 2,881 posts
If your in same region as me that might explain something, main Inet server I go through is Houston although I'm 168 miles north of there.
and my upload is lousy http://www.speedtest.../2749872398.png
http://www.speedtest.net/

Edited by maxXPsoft, 03 June 2013 - 10:51 AM.

Download ++> Windows 7 + 8 Unattended DVD + App Installer + Services Disabler + Load All Button + XML Creator
Jump2Reg - Registry: - Oct 4, 2013 - Version 3.0.4 - 98, ME, NT, 2K, XP, VISTA, Seven, Windows 8+ and 32 or 64 bit

XP Unattended CD/DVD creator - Version 4.1.7
Sample xml + Setupcomplete + Add Right click .wim Windows 7 or Windows 8/8.1

JorgeA

JorgeA

• MSFN Sponsor
  • 3,086 posts
Glad to see that MSFN is back :thumbup , but we seem to have lost a bunch of posts since June 3.

Among the missing posts are some where I reported having renewed by MSFN sponsorship AND also making a small donation on top of that. For a while my name was back in gold, but now I see that it's in blue once again, as if I hadn't renewed.

I will be happy to PM or otherwise communicate with the Powers That Be in order to prove that I did renew my sponsorship and then separately made a donation.

I expect that anybody who donated or subscribed to MSFN this week may be affected.

Will go back to the IE9 on Windows 7 and see if the posting issue that got this thread started, has been fixed.

--JorgeA

Edited by JorgeA, 08 June 2013 - 02:21 PM.

JorgeA

JorgeA

• MSFN Sponsor
  • 3,086 posts
link insertion functionThis is a test after the MSFN reset.

This is a test of placing formatting tags around selected text.

Formatting tags are showing up where intended.

This is a test of the link insertion function.

Links are still shooting up to the beginning of the post, rather than around the intended, selected text.

--JorgeA

EDIT: Tests performed in IE9, Windows 7 Home Premium

Edited by JorgeA, 08 June 2013 - 02:08 PM.

JorgeA

JorgeA

• MSFN Sponsor
  • 3,086 posts
link insertionNow testing in IE9 x64.

This is a test of text formatting.

This is a test of link insertion.

The link is still shooting up to the start of the post.

--JorgeA

JorgeA

JorgeA

• MSFN Sponsor
  • 3,086 posts
This is a test of these several functions in Pale Moon.

This is a test for text formatting.

This is a test for link insertion.

It shows up fine in Pale Moon.

Sadly, though, the Norton Toolbar is not supported in Pale Moon, although it is supported in Firefox. Assuming that these functions also work well in standard FF, may have to switch to it as the default browser for the Win7 system, but I'd hate to lose the functional Status Bar or deal with the constant upgrades.

--JorgeA

dencorso

dencorso

• Supervisor
  • 5,841 posts

Donator

I did renew my sponsorship and then separately made a donation.

I expect that anybody who donated or subscribed to MSFN this week may be affected.

Sure. I'll see that it gets fixed. Your Supreme Sponsor donation I remember well, because we exchanged posts about it. Any other Sponsor donnor who lost the badge please PM me. Rest assured it may take some days, but it'll be fixed.

JorgeA

JorgeA

• MSFN Sponsor
  • 3,086 posts
There's still work to be done:

• Thread subscriptions are still not working (I'm not getting notices of new replies).
  • I still cannot upload image attachments.
  • The "Click To Attach Files" button reports that I have used "4.14MB of your 1000K global upload quota (Max. single file size: 64MB)" :crazy:
--JorgeA

JorgeA

JorgeA

• MSFN Sponsor
  • 3,086 posts

I did renew my sponsorship and then separately made a donation.

Sure. I'll see that it gets fixed. Your Supreme Sponsor donation I remember well, because we exchanged posts about it. Any other Sponsor donnor who lost the badge please PM me. Rest assured it may take some days, but it'll be fixed.

Wonderful, thanks! :thumbup

--JorgeA

JorgeA

JorgeA

• MSFN Sponsor
  • 3,086 posts

I want to report that the weird posting issue where inserting links or formatting to a chunk of text ends up in the top line, has now disappeared with the new forum software. Works great in Win7 IE9, no problem (never was) in Vista IE8. :thumbup

--JorgeA

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

How to remove advertisement from MSFN