Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

Modify Win8 File Association

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

allgames71

allgames71

• 14 posts
  • Joined 18-April 12
Everytime I install Win8 , the default file association all goes to Metro UI associated. I won't use Metro UI at all , instead use the Desktop. So everytime I've to to the [Control Panel[ ... [Programs[ ... [Make a file type always open in a specific program]

It's very annoying. Is there a simple way to let me change all the files association type such as by .reg. I've tried regshot program to get certain file association change registry then import it to the registry , but with fail. As it said program is in use , forbitten ...

I can't thinks of a simple way to solve this program even in the safe mode.

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

MagicAndre1981

MagicAndre1981

after Windows 7 GA still Vista lover :)

• Patrons
  • 6,124 posts
  • Joined 28-August 05

Donator

You can use DISM to export/import the file associations

Windows 8: Associate a file Type or protocol with a specific app using GPO (e.g:default mail client for MailTo protocol)
http://blogs.technet...o-protocol.aspx
Posted Image

allgames71

allgames71

• 14 posts
  • Joined 18-April 12
I've read your instruction and search a lot about "Default Program". I understand now what I thought can't be done.

Thanks

click-click

click-click

• PipPip
  • 107 posts
  • Joined 08-October 09

Has anyone successfully managed to import and activate program/file associations using dism?

I ran a small test with the following xml on an online system, but when I select a .bmp file, Win8 still wants to start the metro app instead of the desktop app.

dism /Online /Import-DefaultAppAssociations:Z:\$W8i\$W8-Deploy\test.xml 

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<DefaultAssociations>  
<Association Identifier=".bmp" ProgId="Paint.Picture" ApplicationName="Windows Photo Viewer" />  
<Association Identifier=".eml" ProgId="ThunderbirdEML" ApplicationName="Thunderbird" />  
<Association Identifier=".wdseml" ProgId="ThunderbirdEML" ApplicationName="Thunderbird" />  
<Association Identifier="mailto" ProgId="Thunderbird.Url.mailto" ApplicationName="Thunderbird" />
</DefaultAssociations>

If I check the associations via the Default Programs in Control Panel, .bmp is still associated with Fotos instead of Windows Photo Viewer. I also tried enabling the appropriate GPO entry and placing the test.xml in c:\windows\system32 but that doesn't seem to apply to local hosts.

I would like to automate setting the program/file associations during the system build process possibly at the OOBE stage. Anyone know how?

click-click

click-click

• PipPip
  • 107 posts
  • Joined 08-October 09

Edited by click-click, 30 August 2013 - 07:18 PM.

click-click

click-click

• PipPip
  • 107 posts
  • Joined 08-October 09

From my trials, activating default file associations on an online system has to be done via the Control Panel or with a customized OEMDefaultsAssociation.xml that is applied during the first boot after installing win8. Doing this via the registry is problematic as mentioned by the OP.

Edited by click-click, 30 August 2013 - 07:26 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users