Hide Bing Desktop and other Windows Updates

You can use this even on a installed installation.
EDIT: I have not tried this on Windows 8 yet. ricktendo Edit: tested on Windows 8 and it worked like a charm :thumbup
I do not recommend this on XP. I added just a few and it got about 8.
Make sure you are fully updated minus things you don't want or it takes awhile to cycle through 108 updates waiting ..... :w00t:

After I complete my Unattended setup I get Windows updates for things I don't want. Rather than disable WU I'd rather have fun figuring out how to disable what I don't want. :whistle:
There are other scripts out there but none as flexible as this. You have to make sure you are connected to internet before running.

j5j.png

I use cmd /c start /wait wscript HideKBs_BingDesktop.vbs on my unattended because I am applying updates after this.
On Windows 7 you can just double click to run it as long as you have permissions

Only edit this with notepad if you don't have a vbs editor
Save as HideKBs_BingDesktop.vbs

' Maxpsoft May 30, 2013, 9:34:15 PM' 06/18/2013 Add extra for Bing Desktop v1.3' 06/28/2013 Updated to continue searching as long as it is finding something otherwise Quit' 05/02/2014 By adding KB and Bing Bar it gets them all and so far has not come back'' Original Mike.Moore Dec 17, 2012 on answers.microsoft but when ran it Hide everything so no good.' Link to script:  You may freely use this script as long as you copy it complete and it remains the same except for adjusting hideupdates.' If I need to change something then let me know so all may benefit.Dim WSHShell, StartTime, ElapsedTime, strUpdateName, strAllHiddenDim Checkagain 'Find more keep going otherwise QuitDim hideupdates(11)    'TO ADD 1 EDIT THE (11) AND ADD another hideupdates(#)hideupdates(0) = "KB2592687" 'Remote Desktop Protocol 8.0hideupdates(1) = "KB2861855" 'Remote Desktop Protocol 8.0hideupdates(2) = "KB2574819" 'Remote Desktop.hideupdates(3) = "KB2830477" 'Remote Desktophideupdates(4) = "KB2709981" 'Windows Media Player 12hideupdates(5) = "KB2803821" 'Windows Media Player 12hideupdates(6) = "Bing Desktop" 'With this we get all versionshideupdates(7) = "Internet Explorer 8"hideupdates(8) = "Internet Explorer 9"hideupdates(9) = "Internet Explorer 10"hideupdates(10) = "KB2673774" 'Bing Bar 7.3 KBhideupdates(11) = "Bing Bar" 'Bing Bar ALLSet WSHShell = CreateObject("WScript.Shell")StartTime = Timer 'Start the TimerSet updateSession = CreateObject("Microsoft.Update.Session")updateSession.ClientApplicationID = "MSDN Sample Script"Set updateSearcher = updateSession.CreateUpdateSearcher()Set searchResult = updateSearcher.Search("IsInstalled=0 and Type='Software' and IsHidden=0")Checkagain = "True"For K = 0 To 10 'Bing Desktop has 4, Silverlight has 5  If Checkagain = "True" Then    Checkagain = "False"    CheckUpdates    ParseUpdates  End ifNextElapsedTime = Timer - StartTimestrTitle = "Bing Desktop and Windows Updates Hidden."strText = strAllHiddenstrText = strText & vbCrLf & ""strText = strText & vbCrLf & "Total Time " & ElapsedTimeintType = vbOkOnly'Silent just comment these 2 lines with a ' and it will run and quitSet objWshShell = WScript.CreateObject("WScript.Shell")intResult = objWshShell.Popup(strText, ,strTitle, intType)'Open Windows Update after remove the comment ''WshShell.Run "%windir%\system32\control.exe /name Microsoft.WindowsUpdate"Set objWshShell = nothingSet WSHShell = NothingWScript.QuitFunction ParseUpdates 'cycle through updates  For I = 0 To searchResult.Updates.Count-1    Set update = searchResult.Updates.Item(I)    strUpdateName = update.Title    'WScript.Echo I + 1 & "> " & update.Title    For j = 0 To UBound(hideupdates)    if instr(1, strUpdateName, hideupdates(j), vbTextCompare) = 0 then    Else          strAllHidden = strAllHidden _          & vbcrlf & update.Title      update.IsHidden = True'      Checkagain = "True"    end if    Next  NextEnd FunctionFunction CheckUpdates 'check for new updates cause Bing Desktop has 3  Set updateSession = CreateObject("Microsoft.Update.Session")  updateSession.ClientApplicationID = "MSDN Sample Script"  Set updateSearcher = updateSession.CreateUpdateSearcher()  Set searchResult = _  updateSearcher.Search("IsInstalled=0 and Type='Software' and IsHidden=0")End Function
Edited by maxXPsoft

Thanks, will this also work with XP?

Edit: tested on Windows 8 and it worked like a charm

6pyafb7.png

Edit2: Any way to run silently? I want to add it to my WPI

Edited by ricktendo

Thanks, will this also work with XP?

Edit: tested on Windows 8 and it worked like a charm

6pyafb7.png

Edit2: Any way to run silently? I want to add it to my WPI

Have not tested with XP but have a machine in for a refresh repair but may be several days before I get to it.

'Silent just comment these 2 lines with a ' and it will run and quit

'Set objWshShell = WScript.CreateObject("WScript.Shell")

'intResult = objWshShell.Popup(strText, ,strTitle, intType)

Edited by maxXPsoft

Can you please add Malicious Software Removal Tool and KB971033 ?

There might be others but off hand i remember these two buggers.

To add or remove one all you have to do is edit this part

Dim hideupdates(4) 'TO ADD 1 EDIT THE (3) AND ADD another hideupdates(#)

hideupdates(0) = "KB2592687" 'Remote Desktop Protocol 8.0

hideupdates(1) = "KB2709981" 'Windows Media Player 12

hideupdates(2) = "Bing Desktop" 'With this we get all versions

hideupdates(3) = ".NET Framework 4.5"

hideupdates(4) = "KB971033"

Or if you want then remove Windows Media Player 12 or the .NET Framework 4.5 and replace with something else

hideupdates(3) = ".NET Framework 4.5"
replace with
hideupdates(3) = "KB971033"

Or if you use .NET Framework 4.5 then do this

Dim hideupdates(2) 'TO ADD 1 EDIT THE (3) AND ADD another hideupdates(#)

hideupdates(0) = "KB2592687" 'Remote Desktop Protocol 8.0

hideupdates(1) = "KB2709981" 'Windows Media Player 12

hideupdates(2) = "Bing Desktop" 'With this we get all versions

'hideupdates(3) = ".NET Framework 4.5"

post-9484-0-17538200-1370638118_thumb.pn

I built it to be easy to adjust but if you need help just post what you want to remove

Edited by maxXPsoft

Very useful. Thanks for posting. Have a couple of question:

1. I also want to remove the WU nag for KB976002. All I have to do is add another line, like hideupdates(4) = "KB976002" to the first post script, or do I have to do smth else?

2. I make the default behaviour for WU through Autounattend.xml to go off. So with WU off by default on windows 7, will this script have the same effect?

3. Can this .vbs script be run silently? If yes, can you please post in the first post the changes needed to your script?

4. Can you please make a similat guide / script for windows xp? When you'll have the time... interested for xp in not showing KB976002 (browser choice) and KB892130 (genuine advantage - don't know if this is enough, or also 905474 should be added also, never tried before, only hid it through WU screen).

Edited by RicaNeaga

• Look at Post 6 how to add more, as many as you want but the last number must match on this line Dim hideupdates(3)
  • Yes even with WU off it should run. Make sure you are fully updated minus things you don't want or it takes awhile to cycle through 108 updates waiting ..... :w00t:
  • Look at script above
    'Silent just comment these 2 lines with a ' and it will run and quit
  • I do not recommend this on XP yet, haven't had time to debug what wrong. It ran but hide more than it should.

Edited by maxXPsoft

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just as a test I done Silverlight and it has 5 updates if you keep hiding

' 06/28/2013 Updated to continue searching as long as it is finding something otherwise Quit

j5j.png

Edited by maxXPsoft

• 2 weeks later...

dang I hate this .Net mess, had to install 4.0 to use Live mail just so I can check my Hotmail without going there. Well 16 updates to it last count

Installed ADK 8.1 to mess with 8.1 Preview and what shows up, you guessed it .Net 4.5 was installed so it wants to add a boatload of updates.

hideupdates(3) = ".Net Framework 4.5"

y71.png

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Guess they not going to fix this image posting mess here?

Edited by maxXPsoft

• 2 months later...