New HFSLIP 1.7.10 beta K v9 build 20150818

Acheron

1. There is C:\Windows\HFSLIP folder after installation XP slipstreamed with hfslip-1.7.10_beta_K_v2.

It looks like TEMP folder (13.2 MB) and I think it should be deleted.

Maybe it's because I don't have following line in \I386\HFSLPGUI.INF file :

HKLM,"SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce",HFSLIPGUI,0x20000,"CMD /C RD/Q/S %WINDIR%\HFSLIP"

Why did you remove it?

2. What was it for and why did you remove it:

HKLM,"SOFTWARE\Microsoft\GdiDetectionTool","GDITool",0x10001,1

(in \I386\HFSLIPWU.INF file)?

1. There is C:\Windows\HFSLIP folder after installation XP slipstreamed with hfslip-1.7.10_beta_K_v2.

It looks like TEMP folder (13.2 MB) and I think it should be deleted.

Maybe it's because I don't have following line in \I386\HFSLPGUI.INF file :

HKLM,"SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce",HFSLIPGUI,0x20000,"CMD /C RD/Q/S %WINDIR%\HFSLIP"

Why did you remove it?

2. What was it for and why did you remove it:

HKLM,"SOFTWARE\Microsoft\GdiDetectionTool","GDITool",0x10001,1

(in \I386\HFSLIPWU.INF file)?

Hi Jakson,

You can safely remove the HFSLIP folder after Windows Setup is complete. I had commented out that line for testing. I will add an option for it in next beta.

The GDITool registry tweak was used to silence Windows Update for offering this tool. The registry tweak is no longer necessary.

Edited by Acheron

There are some cases where files have newer version even though their time stamp is older. I can think of at least several Windows 2000 updates which are like that.

It should be relatively easy to use "filever.exe" to compare file versions of those files instead of using "xcopy/d". I've got no time to look at it at the moment but can try to do something about it in the future.

Recently I had to workaround such a issue for supporting the latest Roots Certifate Update. My solution was to look for a specific file version using the findstr utility.

REM WORKAROUND FOR MAY 2013 ROOT CERTIFICATES UPDATE
IF EXIST TEMP\updroots.exe (
IF EXIST HF\rvkroots.exe (
FOR /F %%I IN ('FINDSTR "5...1...2.4.8.4" TEMP\updroots.exe') DO DEL /F/Q TEMP\updroots.exe
)
)

Anyway I have all my code merged into a new HFSLIP 1.7.10 beta. I have added a few defines to skip some code and added support for handling uncompressed sysoc.inf.

See first post for download links.

HFSLIP support for addons is extremely limited. Only true addons are supported. However, integrating large and complicated update packs (like Onepiece Win2k postSP4 UpdatePack and others) results in a corrupted Windows installation even though the update packs are technically also true addons.

For Windows XP I integrate the following ones

Kels_Runtimes_addon_v8.5.7z
OnePiece_Microsoft.NET_Framework_v1.1.4322.2502_True_AddOn_ENU_CECE82149DF5A0F4250D766448995ADF.cab
OnePiece_Microsoft.NET_Framework_v3.5.30729.4051_True_AddOn_ENU_71968F1BC3AC2E433F3E9AA143B3E728.cab
OnePiece_Microsoft.NET_Framework_v4.0.30319.1008_True_AddOn_ENU_B59D6FA8C909DAD14965B880F957FB29.cab
Ricks-YumeYao_MicrosoftVC7891012RuntimeLibraries_Addon_2_2_1.7z
YumeYao_MicrosoftOldRuntimeLibraries_Addon_1_0_0.7z

I want to integrate AddOns you listed plus Ricks-YumeYao_Printer_UpdatePack_And_XPS_Addon_1_2_2.7z.

(YumeYao note: "must integrate this addon "with an updatepack" or "as an updatepack" when using RVMi" -

- sounds like it's half TrueAddon, half UpdatePack)

I already have up-to-date XP *.iso created by HFSLIP K v2.

What tool use to integrate these AddOns/UpdatePack?

1. RVM Integrator 1.6 (or RVM Integrator 1.6.1 beta 2.1?)

2. nLite 1.4.9.1

3. ...or put all AddOns in HFAAO and run HFSLIP K v2 (on clean/untouched XP SP3 of course)?

My suggestion is to put your project under version control and compare the changes between methods!

I have integrated Rick and Yumeyao Printer and XPS update addon with RyanVM Integrator 1.6.1 beta into my XP SOURCE. I then use HFSLIP to integrate all Windows Updates. This method is faster as you won't have to redo it everytime you rebuild the ISO. Just make sure to remove all superseded hotfixes from your HF project folder. I had to remove KB950305 and KB971276.

Edited by Acheron

My suggestion is to put your project under version control and compare the changes between methods!

I've built 3 *.iso images:

1. Updates integrated by HFSLIP -(next)-> AddOns integrated by RVM Integrator 1.6

2. Updates integrated by HFSLIP -(next)-> AddOns integrated by nLite 1.4.9.1 (with "classic setup" enabled)

3. Updates and AddOns integrated by HFSLIP K v3

Then installed XP (on VMware) from each image and everytihng went well - no errors, no missing files, etc.

There were some files in HFSLIP *.iso that were not in RVM or nLite *.iso:

\i386 folder:

filterpipelineprintproc.dl_ 41142

msxpsdrv.in_ 823

msxpsinc.gp_ 175

msxpsinc.pp_ 173

mxdwdrv.dl_ 246

mxdwdui.dl_ 72

mxdwdui.gp_ 3276

mxdwdui.in_ 142

pcl4res.dl_ 35582

pcl5eres.dl_ 140427

pcl5ures.dl_ 141565

ps5ui.dl_ 248614

pscript5.dl_ 233039

unidrv.dl_ 186779

unidrvui.dl_ 273977

unires.dl_ 234221

xps.cm_ 424

logowin.gif 4821

SP1.CAT 411932

SP2.CAT 1014483

(last three not related to Printer UpdatePack)

RVM and nLite packed many files which were unpacked in HFSLIP:

*.inf -> *.in_

*.dll -> *.dl_

*.cat -> *.ca_

That's all.

I think the best method is HFSLIP -(next)-> RVM Integrator -

- it's a little bit longer then RVM Integrator -(next)-> HFSLIP (looking ahead in the long term),

but I dont have to worry about overwriting some files with older ones.

Personally I would only use RVM Integrator for integrating addons. The files added by HFSLIP to the I386 shouldn't be there at all, as these files needs to be added to the DRIVER.CAB file.

A successful Windows setup doesn't mean that everything works as expected. You need to test if installing a printer works that depends on these files and that you can print a document for example.

Edited by Acheron

Thanks a lot for the updated release :)

I've noticed one cosmetic issue:

ECHO                 ???[MSFN COMMUNITY MAINTENANCE RELEASE] ???

I don't know what the "???" were supposed to be but these lines look like this here. Did you use any special characters?

As for addons, at the moment I'd really stick to using only completely true addons for HFSLIP, and for the other addons use nLite or RVM Integrator. By the way, I've simplified the Addon script a little bit more:

1. Change

IF EXIST HFAAO\* CALL :HFAAO

to

IF EXIST HFAAO\* IF EXIST HFTOOLS\7za.exe CALL :HFAAO

so that the addon folder won't be processed at all if no 7za.exe is present in HFTOOLS.

2. Change

:HFAAO
TITLE %T1% - Processing App Addons
FOR /F "DELIMS=" %%I IN ('DIR/B HFAAO') DO SET AAOTBP=1
IF NOT DEFINED AAOTBP GOTO :EOF
FOR /F "DELIMS=" %%I IN ('DIR/B/A-D/ON HFAAO') DO (
IF EXIST HFTOOLS\7ZA.EXE ECHO.&&ECHO Processing %%I&&HFTOOLS\7ZA x "HFAAO\%%I" -o"%PREP%\TEMP\AAO" -r >NUL&&CALL :PROCESS_AAO
)

to

:HFAAO
TITLE %T1% - Processing App Addons
FOR /R HFAAO %%I IN (*) DO (
ECHO.
ECHO Processing %%I
>NUL HFTOOLS\7ZA x "%%I" -o"%PREP%\TEMP\AAO" -r
CALL :PROCESS_AAO
)

Same thing, less code.

Edited by tomasz86

BTW:

What do you think about inserting line (Windows 7 detecting):

ECHO %%I|FIND "7">NUL 2>&1&&(SET HostOS=7)

after:

ECHO %%I|FIND /I "Vista">NUL 2>&1&&(SET HostOS=Vista&GOTO :HOSD)

Next line is ":HOSD" so there is no need to put "&GOTO :HOSD" after "SET HostOS=7".

@jakson

It would be probably good to change

ECHO %%I|FIND /I "Vista">NUL 2>&1&&(SET HostOS=Vista&GOTO :HOSD)

to

ECHO %%I|FINDSTR /I "Vista 7 8">NUL 2>&1&&(SET HostOS=Vista&GOTO :HOSD)

I don't know what is displayed in Windows Server 2008 and Windows Server 2012 so it'd be nice if someone checked and told us about it.

Edit: Actually the whole HostOS checking script could be improved a little bit. I've got no time at the moment but I'll edit this post later today.

Edited by tomasz86

Thanks a lot for the updated release :)

ECHO                 ???[MSFN COMMUNITY MAINTENANCE RELEASE] ???

I don't know what the "???" were supposed to be but these lines look like this here. Did you use any special characters?

As for addons, at the moment I'd really stick to using only completely true addons for HFSLIP, and for the other addons use nLite or RVM Integrator.

The special character I used should display a square block character (ANSI character 254) using the default code page (850).

You can use the chcp command to see the active code page.

I think the best method is HFSLIP -(next)-> RVM Integrator [...]

A successful Windows setup doesn't mean that everything works as expected. You need to test if installing a printer works that depends on these files and that you can print a document for example.

You're right - sth is wrong :( :

Can't install KB905474 and KB976002 through Microsoft Update / Windows Update.

On "clean" HFSLIP installation (without RVMi AddOns) MU/WU has no problems with installing updates.

Maybe it's becase I checked "optimize system files" in RVMi?...

I'll check today same image but integrated in reverse order (first RVMi, then HFSLIP)

with "optimize system files" checked and unchecked.

Edited by jakson

I think the best method is HFSLIP -(next)-> RVM Integrator [...]

You're right - sth is wrong :( :

Can't install KB905474 and KB976002 through Microsoft Update / Windows Update.

On "clean" HFSLIP installation (without RVMi AddOns) MU/WU has no problems with installing updates.

Maybe it's becase I checked "optimize system files" in RVMi?...

I'll check today same image but integrated in reverse order (first RVMi, then HFSLIP)

with "optimize system files" checked and unchecked.

I never use the optimize system files option in RVM Integrator. So I would definitely try without that option.

I never use the optimize system files option in RVM Integrator. So I would definitely try without that option.

Ok, trying with te same updates and addons,

the same order (HFSLIP -> RVMi), but with unchecked "optimize system files".

MU/WU updated my XP without problems :).

Anyway I'll check image integrated in reverse order (first RVMi, then HFSLIP),

but it looks like checked "optimize system files" is the issue.

• 2 weeks later...