Classic Shell 4.0

xpclient

Logging is enabled only for the beta, RTM will require setting a registry key to enable it for troubleshooting purposes. Caching shouldn't be disabled as it actually improves performance and only happens the 1st time you install it on any PC. Caching is required for 3 features: 1. For a "fast and fluid" experience of loading icons and pre-cached folders 2. Frequently used programs list 3. Highlighting.

I have a fast SSD for 1. and never had problems with f&f even without Classic Shell (Win7 here), and I always turn off 2. and 3. Also, cache was not necessary with previous releases of Classic Shell.

GL

Logging is enabled only for the beta, RTM will require setting a registry key to enable it for troubleshooting purposes. Caching shouldn't be disabled as it actually improves performance and only happens the 1st time you install it on any PC. Caching is required for 3 features: 1. For a "fast and fluid" experience of loading icons and pre-cached folders 2. Frequently used programs list 3. Highlighting.

In previous releases, there were responsiveness issues with submenus. So even with an SSD, icons cached will be faster. Plus, frequently used and highlighting features depend on this cache. These 2 features were added to the latest version of Classic Start Menu. Even Windows maintains its own icon cache.

But if you still want to disable frequent writes to the cache, you can make the file read-only and it won’t get saved. Same trick will work for the log file as well. The cache file is not really required. It is just an optimization for fetching some information faster. It is used for icons, link targets, Metro app properties, etc.

You gave me an idea. I created a file named %appdata%\roaming\ClassicShell and so far it works as I intended (no folder created). :)

GL

So far, this works very well. Please, if you can, make it an option (to not create any files) for us who don't want bloat.

GL

If there is an an option for that, users can set it without fully understanding what it does or the menu features it disables and then they will complain of slow performance and icons not loading fast enough. This trick works well enough. You can automate it from the cmd line as well. :)

• 2 months later...

Great program!

I modified a skin but I can't find the shadow image, where can I find it?

Btw, I'm using this with Aero Glass for WIndows 8.1 Beta 1 and the reflection effect is not applied on classic shell.

Edited by Tusticles

Congratulations :thumbup and good work!

thanks for version 4 :)

Thank you, xpclient!

Much of Windows wouldn't be the same without Classic Shell. :)

Thanks everyone. :w00t:

Great program!

I modified a skin but I can't find the shadow image, where can I find it?

Btw, I'm using this with Aero Glass for WIndows 8.1 Beta 1 and the reflection effect is not applied on classic shell.

The skin format is described in detail here: http://www.classicshell.net/tutorials/skintutorial.html By 'shadow image' do you mean the mask bitmap? When you open the skin in Resource Hacker, you can expand the bitmap section to see all bitmaps and the Skin section describes which bitmap is used for what.

If you are using Classic Shell along with Aero Glass for Windows 8, just enable the setting "Enable Aero Glass" from the "Menu Look" tab and make sure you are using the 'Windows Aero' skin. You can post additional skin related questions in the Classic Shell forum where other users will also help you with editing the skin. :)

Edited by xpclient

That's right, it's closed source freeware now and is mentioned in the FAQ why: http://www.classicshell.net/faq/#general_oss It was being forked and sold with little to no modification on multiple sites, bundled with crapware, plus the skins which were always copyrighted were being redistributed without permission.

Edited by xpclient