Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

Classic Shell 4.0

• Please log in to reply
85 replies to this topic

Win2k3EE

Win2k3EE

• PipPip
  • 222 posts

that's why I don't like it and will NEVER use it.

I don't like it either. I prefer v3.6.7 I don't want to deal with StartScreen or hot corners at all.

You can rest easy that Classic Shell is never ever going to force any design choice on users or remove any currently available option.

:thumbup  :thumbup  :thumbup

Thank you, Sir.

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

xpclient

xpclient

XP was my idea. 3rd party apps make NT6 my idea.

• PipPipPip
  • 331 posts

The public beta of Classic Shell 4.0 is now available (as 3.9.0): http://www.classicshell.net The stable release will be 4.0.

uLrxwpX.png

Edited by xpclient, 21 July 2013 - 09:40 PM.

Impossible to run NT6 without third party fixes.

Win2k3EE

Win2k3EE

• PipPip
  • 222 posts

New "Windows 7" menu style that replicates the look and feel of the Windows 7 start menu
the programs show in a tree inside the main menu
search results and jump lists show inside the main menu
dedicated shutdown button
the unparalleled customizability you've come to expect from Classic Shell

I LOVE THIS PART, though. :thumbup

Can't wait for the final version.

After installing classicshell start menu on a couple of computers, now a lot of people with brand new laptops with Win8 on it want this on their laptop as well.

KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK. 

Edited by Win2k3EE, 22 July 2013 - 06:42 AM.

xpclient

xpclient

• PipPipPip
  • 331 posts

Thanks. Here's another screenshot showing new Shutdown actions such as "Update and Restart" introduced in Windows 8:

0Tim8zc.png

Edited by xpclient, 22 July 2013 - 08:25 AM.

Win2k3EE

Win2k3EE

• PipPip
  • 222 posts

Another satisfied "customer" today. My friend LOVES classicshell. He just bought a laptop today and came straight to me to "fix" it.

Thank you again. Can't wait for v4.0. :thumbup

If v4.0 will replicate the exact startmenu of Win7 you'll make my day.

:yes:

GrofLuigi

GrofLuigi

GroupPolicy Tattoo Artist

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,356 posts

Will we able to turn off the unnecessary disk writes for logging and caching (which is turned off in options) to %appdata%\roaming in the final version?

GL

xpclient

xpclient

• PipPipPip
  • 331 posts

Logging is enabled only for the beta, RTM will require setting a registry key to enable it for troubleshooting purposes. Caching shouldn't be disabled as it actually improves performance and only happens the 1st time you install it on any PC. Caching is required for 3 features: 1. For a "fast and fluid" experience of loading icons and pre-cached folders  2. Frequently used programs list   3. Highlighting.

GrofLuigi

GrofLuigi

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,356 posts

I have a fast SSD for 1. and never had problems with f&f even without Classic Shell (Win7 here), and I always turn off 2. and 3. Also, cache was not necessary with previous releases of Classic Shell.

GL

Logging is enabled only for the beta, RTM will require setting a registry key to enable it for troubleshooting purposes. Caching shouldn't be disabled as it actually improves performance and only happens the 1st time you install it on any PC. Caching is required for 3 features: 1. For a "fast and fluid" experience of loading icons and pre-cached folders  2. Frequently used programs list   3. Highlighting.

xpclient

xpclient

• PipPipPip
  • 331 posts

In previous releases, there were responsiveness issues with submenus. So even with an SSD, icons cached will be faster. Plus, frequently used and highlighting features depend on this cache. These 2 features were added to the latest version of Classic Start Menu. Even Windows maintains its own icon cache.

But if you still want to disable frequent writes to the cache, you can make the file read-only and it won’t get saved. Same trick will work for the log file as well. The cache file is not really required. It is just an optimization for fetching some information faster. It is used for icons, link targets, Metro app properties, etc.

GrofLuigi

GrofLuigi

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,356 posts

You gave me an idea. I created a file named %appdata%\roaming\ClassicShell and so far it works as I intended (no folder created). :)

GL

GrofLuigi

GrofLuigi

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,356 posts

You gave me an idea. I created a file named %appdata%\roaming\ClassicShell and so far it works as I intended (no folder created). :)

GL

So far, this works very well. Please, if you can, make it an option (to not create any files) for us who don't want bloat.

GL

xpclient

xpclient

• PipPipPip
  • 331 posts

If there is an an option for that, users can set it without fully understanding what it does or the menu features it disables and then they will complain of slow performance and icons not loading fast enough. This trick works well enough. You can automate it from the cmd line as well. :)

xpclient

xpclient

• PipPipPip
  • 331 posts

The final stable release of Classic Shell 4.0 is released. :thumbup Here's the full change log: www.classicshell.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1343&p=6978 . And oh, one more thing, we crossed 10 million downloads. :w00t:

Edited by xpclient, 05 October 2013 - 10:13 AM.

CharlotteTheHarlot

CharlotteTheHarlot

MSFN Master

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,054 posts

The final stable release of Classic Shell 4.0 is released. :thumbup Here's the full change log: www.classicshell.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1343&p=6978 . And oh, one more thing, we crossed 10 million downloads. :w00t:

Congratulations :thumbup and good work!

... Let him who hath understanding reckon the Number Of The Beast ...

MagicAndre1981

MagicAndre1981

after Windows 7 GA still Vista lover :)

• Patrons
  • 5,992 posts

Donator

thanks for version 4 :)

Posted Image

UltimateSilence

UltimateSilence

• PipPip
  • 169 posts

Thank you, xpclient!
Much of Windows wouldn't be the same without Classic Shell. :)

yZo4FWG.png
Keep Windows XP alive!

Please do not misconstrue Windows 7 license sales as actual sales of the operating system. PCs are bundled with Windows 7, and count towards the sales figures.
Running Windows Vista on HP Pavilion Slimline.

Tusticles

Tusticles

• PipPip
  • 229 posts

Great program!

I modified a skin but I can't find the shadow image, where can I find it?

Btw, I'm using this with Aero Glass for WIndows 8.1 Beta 1 and the reflection effect is not applied on classic shell.

Edited by Tusticles, 08 October 2013 - 08:00 AM.

xpclient

xpclient

• PipPipPip
  • 331 posts

Thank you, xpclient!

Thanks everyone. :w00t:

Great program!

Btw, I'm using this with Aero Glass for WIndows 8.1 Beta 1 and the reflection effect is not applied on classic shell.

The skin format is described in detail here: http://www.classicsh...intutorial.html By 'shadow image' do you mean the mask bitmap? When you open the skin in Resource Hacker, you can expand the bitmap section to see all bitmaps and the Skin section describes which bitmap is used for what.

If you are using Classic Shell along with Aero Glass for Windows 8, just enable the setting "Enable Aero Glass" from the "Menu Look" tab and make sure you are using the 'Windows Aero' skin. You can post additional skin related questions in the Classic Shell forum where other users will also help you with editing the skin. :)

Edited by xpclient, 08 October 2013 - 11:40 AM.

MagicAndre1981

MagicAndre1981

• Patrons
  • 5,992 posts

Donator

are you no longer releasing the source code?

Posted Image

xpclient

xpclient

• PipPipPip
  • 331 posts

That's right, it's closed source freeware now and is mentioned in the FAQ why: http://www.classicsh...aq/#general_oss It was being forked and sold with little to no modification on multiple sites, bundled with crapware, plus the skins which were always copyrighted were being redistributed without permission.

Edited by xpclient, 08 October 2013 - 12:22 PM.

Tusticles

Tusticles

• PipPip
  • 229 posts

Thank you, xpclient!

Thanks everyone. :w00t:

Great program!

The skin format is described in detail here: http://www.classicsh...intutorial.html By 'shadow image' do you mean the mask bitmap? When you open the skin in Resource Hacker, you can expand the bitmap section to see all bitmaps and the Skin section describes which bitmap is used for what.

If you are using Classic Shell along with Aero Glass for Windows 8, just enable the setting "Enable Aero Glass" from the "Menu Look" tab and make sure you are using the 'Windows Aero' skin. You can post additional skin related questions in the Classic Shell forum where other users will also help you with editing the skin. :)

Yes, 'Enable Aero Glass' checkbox is ticked but 'Windows Aero' skin is not completely transparent, only the margins, can't use 'Smoked Glass' skin with aero glass mod ? The blur from DWMGlass is applied but not the reflection effect. And about 'shadow', I'm talking about the shadow behind the start menu.

Edited by Tusticles, 08 October 2013 - 04:10 PM.

MagicAndre1981

MagicAndre1981

• Patrons
  • 5,992 posts

Donator

That's right, it's closed source freeware now

ah, ok.

Posted Image

xpclient

xpclient

• PipPipPip
  • 331 posts
Yes, 'Enable Aero Glass' checkbox is ticked but 'Windows Aero' skin is not completely transparent, only the margins, can't use 'Smoked Glass' skin with aero glass mod ? The blur from DWMGlass is applied but not the reflection effect. And about 'shadow', I'm talking about the shadow behind the start menu.

Are you sure you have Aero Glass for 8.1 installed correctly? Are your title bars transparent? You can use any skin which has Glass support (Smoked Glass, Windows Aero, Full Glass). If Aero Glass for Win8 is correctly installed and the option checked in CSM, then your Start Menu should support transparency. Here's how it looks with the Aero skin:

ocqUps0.jpg

By reflection effect, you probably mean the stripes on the glass? How the Glass is rendered (and its effects) is something only the Aero Glass project can control. Classic Shell's option merely turns on support for it in the skins (instead of the Windows 8 like simple transparency). As for the shadow, there is a setting on the "Menu Look" tab called "Enable menu shadow" that's enabled by default.

Edited by xpclient, 09 October 2013 - 12:22 AM.

Tusticles

Tusticles

• PipPip
  • 229 posts

--edit--

My mistake, the stripes are visible but less than they are on frames or on taskbar. They are almost invisible.

--edit--

See the pics in the attached archive.

Attached Files

Edited by Tusticles, 09 October 2013 - 04:39 AM.

inighthawki

inighthawki

Junior

• Pip
  • 61 posts

May I ask how ClassicShell 4 determines if bigmuscle's aero glass is installed?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

How to remove advertisement from MSFN