Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

install.wim size after inrtegrating udpates

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

theKramer

theKramer

• PipPip
  • 125 posts
  • Joined 20-July 06

Donator

Hi all.
Not sure if there is a solution for this, but I have found when integrating updates via dism into my Windows 8 DVD that the install.wim grows surprisingly large.

Does anyone know a way to prevent this?
Windows 7 never grew this large. Is it possible that DISM is not as efficient in W8 as imagex was in W7?

Thx.
theKramer

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

MagicAndre1981

MagicAndre1981

after Windows 7 GA still Vista lover :)

• Patrons
  • 6,091 posts
  • Joined 28-August 05

Donator

Install the Updates via setupcomplete.cmd. I do this in Win7 and it is faster compared to putting them into the WIM (DISM is slow while commiting and unmounting the Image)
Posted Image

Tripredacus

Tripredacus

K-Mart-ian Legend

• Super Moderator
  • 9,902 posts
  • Joined 28-April 06

Donator

(DISM is slow while commiting and unmounting the Image)

I've heard this from time to time, but I am not seeing this ever happening. Mount and unmount time for me is less than a minute... But it may be more system related.

Anyways, to OP what kind of size are we talking about here? I look at my Windows 8 Pro x64 image which has about 20 updates and a dozen of drivers and it is 4.1GB, while the vanilla image is 3.1GB. Actually now that you mention it... that is quite a size difference! Definately larger than the stuff I put into it. Hmmmm... :unsure:
MSFN RULES | GimageX HTA for PE 3-5 | lol probloms
msfn2_zpsc37c7153.jpg

JFX

JFX

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 470 posts
  • Joined 17-January 11
You can't prevent the growing in size since Windows Vista.

Updated components are added to the Windows\WinSxS folder and the hard links get renewed.
But, old components will not be deleted and remain there, too.

winterstorm

winterstorm

Junior

• Pip
  • 67 posts
  • Joined 13-December 06
I have also this trouble and I find the problem but I don't find any solutions ....

ORIGINAL ISO :
Posted Image

SAME ISO WITH CUMULATIVES UPDATES :
Posted Image

It seems that there are too many copies stores in the WinSXS folder, so the difference is 203 Mo for nothing and just for 1 update (IE cumulative update) ... Only Windows 8 do that and not Windows 7 .... So i hope that Windows 8.1 will change that ...

Edited by winterstorm, 25 June 2013 - 12:24 PM.

WinReducer 7 and 8 : HERE

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users