Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

Where can I unload this Windows 98 SE PC ?

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

BecomingThin

BecomingThin

• 15 posts
You will probably tell me this is the wrong place to post this.
But this is my last hope before I give to recyclers.
Does anyone want my old Windows 98 SE computer, which I have been using until about 2 months ago when I got an XP computer.
The computer works well but has malware. You might be able to get rid of the malware or repurpose the computer for linux, etc.
But you have to pick it up in Milwaukee, WI

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

submix8c

submix8c

Inconceivable!

• Patrons
  • 4,155 posts
:ph34r:
Not allowed to sell OR give away any parts on MSFN.

13. No user shall, by any means:
1 - Sell, trade, or give away hardware, software, or any other goods whatsoever.

Rescind the offer. Reload it and play with it. Hook the HDD as Secondary to your XP and scan for viruses to "clean" it. Usually, (if an OEM) the "CABS" folder is in the "Windows\Options" folder with all you need to reinstall. Just pull the folder off to "elsewhere" (as secondary HDD?) and format/reinstall. ;)

OR recycle for (around here) $5... :(

Someday the tyrants will be unthroned... Jason "Jay" Chasteen; RIP, bro!

Posted Image

Joseph_sw

Joseph_sw

• PipPip
  • 217 posts
should offer that at VOGONS forums, where many vintage computer hunters gathers.
they more interested in hardware spec though.

BecomingThin

BecomingThin

• 15 posts
Thanks. I went to VOGONS, and posted?

Edited by BecomingThin, 29 June 2013 - 05:15 AM.

Nomen

Nomen

• PipPip
  • 187 posts
Put your computer up for sale here:

http://milwaukee.ebayclassifieds.com/

List it as zero dollars. You don't need to register in order to post, but you do need to give a working e-mail address. Most likely, it will be someone that will strip out the large metal parts for recycle value, so the machine will be trashed one way or another.

submix8c wrote:

>13. No user shall, by any means:
> 1 - Sell, trade, or give away hardware, software, or any other goods whatsoever.

I seem to recall that some of that does indeed happen here once in a while - customized $oftware that gives win98 certain abilities to access large amounts of ram, advanced chipset and sata drivers, etc.

submix8c

submix8c

Inconceivable!

• Patrons
  • 4,155 posts
@Nomen - You are incorrect.

Generally speaking, those are LINKS to "software" elsewhere. Created Scripts/Code is allowed (compiling/using them is in your hands). Instructions on "How To" as long as it's not a (e.g.) EULA (read the WHOLE set of rules) circumvention is allowed - example=HackedSETUPLDR. This is within the boundaries. Also see "Member Contributed Projects"...

Otherwise, they are NOT attached, which DIRECTLY involves MSFN. Also IF it is a "crack" (regardless of where it may be) or non-Distributable code, you risk IMMEDIATE ban.

SOME links will be to a country NOT required to adhere to "certain software" (depending on what it is). MSFN is located in the U.S. and MUST abide by U.S. law.

Therefore, there WILL be "grey areas" and up to the Moderators/Supervisors to discuss and act accordingly.

AGAIN, read ALL of the rules. ;)

You have guided the OP to a reasonable alternative to the Ban-Hammer thus changing the Topic to "Where can I unload this PC". :yes: :thumbup

Edited by submix8c, 27 June 2013 - 09:25 AM.

Posted Image

BecomingThin

BecomingThin

• 15 posts
I found someone locally that wants my old computer.
You can delete my post so it doesn't clutter your forum.

submix8c

submix8c

Inconceivable!

• Patrons
  • 4,155 posts
Nope... Posts #2, #5, and #6 are relevant. We usually keep Topics anyway "for the record".

Glad you found someone.

Posted Image

technoid

technoid

• PipPip
  • 115 posts
I was lurking this thread and wanted to post something a couple weeks ago about trying NOT to send this perfectly good working PC to the dumpster / recycler. So I too am glad you found someone to donate it to. Let's hope this "someone" won't actually scrap the PC and actually have it put to good use... as a working PC of course, not 'good use' as in "scrap metal", heh. I myself try to keep "old" PC's in working order. I have Pentium-class motherboards from the mid to late 1990's still running in my office. Good for working office apps like Office 97, et al. I try to upgrade them to the max (versus what specs they originally were when they were bought new as factory spec) to get a little more years out of them, so in effect saving tens of thousands of dollars for newer systems. Of course I have some new systems, built for XP and 7, etc, so it really depends if you need newer systems or not.

Of course, that common "Law of Usefulness" usually states that "the older the [computer] system, the less useful it becomes in the future", which means that the 8088/86's systems I still have don't get much power-on status than my later systems. Nice for playing older games and DOS stuff though. :)

Hoko

Hoko

Junior

• MSFN Sponsor
  • 98 posts

Donator

I was lurking this thread and wanted to post something a couple weeks ago about trying NOT to send this perfectly good working PC to the dumpster / recycler. So I too am glad you found someone to donate it to. Let's hope this "someone" won't actually scrap the PC and actually have it put to good use... as a working PC of course, not 'good use' as in "scrap metal", heh. I myself try to keep "old" PC's in working order. I have Pentium-class motherboards from the mid to late 1990's still running in my office. Good for working office apps like Office 97, et al. I try to upgrade them to the max (versus what specs they originally were when they were bought new as factory spec) to get a little more years out of them, so in effect saving tens of thousands of dollars for newer systems. Of course I have some new systems, built for XP and 7, etc, so it really depends if you need newer systems or not.

Of course, that common "Law of Usefulness" usually states that "the older the [computer] system, the less useful it becomes in the future", which means that the 8088/86's systems I still have don't get much power-on status than my later systems. Nice for playing older games and DOS stuff though. :)

Wish I had never given away my DX66 10 yrs ago. :( Now I'm looking for another one. People are selling those for good money now. :}
Gateway eMachine eTower 466is - Windows 95c v2.5
Processor Intel Celeron 466mhz - RAM 256mb
HDD 120gb - Graphics Card Nvidia GeForce FX5200 256mb pci
Sound Card Sound Blaster 16 isa

Dell Optiplex GX150 Small Desktop - Windows 98SE
Processor Pentium 3 1GHz - RAM 512mb

IBM ThinkCentre - Windows XP Home Edition
ID# 814815U - Processor Pentium 4 2.8GHz - HDD 250gb
RAM 2.5gb - Graphics Card Nvidia GeForce 6200 512mb pci

submix8c

submix8c

Inconceivable!

• Patrons
  • 4,155 posts

Wish I had never given away my DX66 10 yrs ago. :( Now I'm looking for another one. People are selling those for good money now. :}

:huh: Recently gave one (two?) up to recycle for $5USD each. And a 386.

Posted Image

LostInSpace2012

LostInSpace2012

• PipPipPipPip
  • 520 posts

Donator

I just donated my old 866 MHz pentium III to the recyclers... I'm sure they just scrapped it. Hard drive was probably useable, but everything else I think they just toss. The guy working there told me they simply throw away the PC-100 sd ram. They don't even keep that anymore.

HarryTri

HarryTri

• PipPip
  • 166 posts

I still have and use my Pentium III 1 GHz desktop (once in a while). I mostly use my Pentium M laptop, it still does the job. I have Windows XP on both.

I always love Windows XP!

Hoko

Hoko

Junior

• MSFN Sponsor
  • 98 posts

Donator

Wish I had never given away my DX66 10 yrs ago. sad.gif Now I'm looking for another one. People are selling those for good money now. :}

huh.gif Recently gave one (two?) up to recycle for $5USD each. And a 386.

:blink: Just goes to show you, you can pick one up for little to nothing if you know where to look, or go to ebay and pay a couple hundred $ :o

Gateway eMachine eTower 466is - Windows 95c v2.5
Processor Intel Celeron 466mhz - RAM 256mb
Sound Card Sound Blaster 16 isa

Dell Optiplex GX150 Small Desktop - Windows 98SE
Processor Pentium 3 1GHz - RAM 512mb

IBM ThinkCentre - Windows XP Home Edition
ID# 814815U - Processor Pentium 4 2.8GHz - HDD 250gb
RAM 2.5gb - Graphics Card Nvidia GeForce 6200 512mb pci

technoid

technoid

• PipPip
  • 115 posts

I too still use my 1 GHz Pentium III.  Actually I have two of them, same make/model, acquired over a decade ago, free from the company I used to work for (it was a promotion campaign for employees).  One runs 98SE for web browsing, files, etc. The other one is in the living room, running Win 2k as a home theater pc, connected to a digital projector.  

Fortunately I kept 486's. I upgraded one and is also running in the office, at the front desk no less, heh.  Another is a 486SX laptop, but at only 4 MB system memory (and no way to increase it), it's a little difficult to make it run anything but Win 3.11 (Win95 works, but very very limited in scope).  I also have another 486, but it's actually a 286 motherboard with a 486 CPU.

Sometimes a better way for me to find computer stuff is at Goodwill (a U.S. thrift store).  I've found motherboards, monitors, harddrives, graphics/sound cards, DIMMs, hubs/switches, USB stuff, you name it.  Of course you have to dig through all the crap.  Thus in some ways it's more convenient and cheaper than finding stuff on eBay/Internet (i.e. no ship fees, no ship time), but that is sometimes balanced out that what you might get might need some fixing if you know how to. I had to fix an LCD monitor by replacing the caps that feed the backlight. Other than that I've been satisfied.  

TmEE

TmEE

Mega Drive Modding Master

• PipPipPip
  • 360 posts

My PIII machine is now my personal web/storage server sitting in a corner in my livingroom. Takes less than 50W of power and can do all the tasks it is meant to... also runs 98SE :)

Posted Image Mida sa loed ? Nagunii aru ei saa ;)

Tripredacus

Tripredacus

K-Mart-ian Legend

• Super Moderator
  • 9,672 posts

Donator

Wish I had never given away my DX66 10 yrs ago. sad.gif Now I'm looking for another one. People are selling those for good money now. :}

huh.gif Recently gave one (two?) up to recycle for $5USD each. And a 386.

Some people end up all nostalgia and want to go back. There's just something about using old software on small CRT monitors with less colors, or maybe a purple blob in the corner of your screen. DOS4GW errors, and taking an hour to install something from your 2X CD drive. :w00t:

MSFN RULES | GimageX HTA for PE 3.x | lol probloms
msfn2_zpsc37c7153.jpg

Tommy

Tommy

Brooke's Tommy honey <3

• PipPipPip
  • 452 posts

I have an old Pentium Pro 200MHz HP Vectra XA that I still use on a semi-regular basis. I love the way it sounds when it starts up, it's just so classic. I really enjoy how robust systems were back then, so solid and heavy. Now computers generally feel like cheap, flimsy pieces of crap. I bet if I dropped my Vectra on the floor, it would suffer only minor damage and still work (aside from the shock on the hard drive maybe), but new computers are so cheap plasticy feeling that they don't feel very sturdy. I still prefer something older that is solid like a rock over something that feels like it'll fall apart the next time you touch it.

Daily running Windows 2000 Pro SP4 and Windows 98

Posted Image
Posted Image

jaclaz

jaclaz

The Finder

• Developer
  • 13,985 posts

Now computers generally feel like cheap, flimsy pieces of crap. 

Possibly :unsure: that feeling is because now computers generally are cheap, flimsy pieces of crap. ;)

jaclaz

Tommy

Tommy

Brooke's Tommy honey <3

• PipPipPip
  • 452 posts

They are! If you get a computer that's more plastic than metal, you KNOW it's cheap. XD A new computer =/= better quality/better.

If anything, I hate the quality of CD/DVD drives in computers now. It seemed impossible to break one long ago, now it seems the newest ones get jammed all the time and the feeder doesn't even seem as strong and powerful as some of the older drives.

Edited by Tommy, 03 August 2013 - 01:05 PM.

Daily running Windows 2000 Pro SP4 and Windows 98

Posted Image
Posted Image

ROTS

ROTS

• PipPip
  • 215 posts
Well I just keep mine around to remind me of the good years of computers, when you had to write programs in your notebook, and two proccessors could only be used by few OSes. The thing has tons of plastic in it, but it is also extermly heavy compared to my bigger and newer machines. ............................................................................................................................................................................................................... ............................................................................................................................................................................................................... Just for experimentation, with programming it is a fun thing to have around. ............................................................................................................................................................................................................... I know that feeling of crap, however. When you have a 100Mhz machine you can only run DOS programs on it. I was stupid however because had my Network card plugged into my primary machine ( which was vintage stuff ) siezed. That network card had extra pins for all kinds of things, but did the job great. Speaking of auwsomeness just browsing thru the stuff, like my Amiga 2000 and portable macronome suitcase computer ( before labtops ) makes me reapreciate the effort and respect that was put into computers. ............................................................................................................................................................................................................... ............................................................................................................................................................................................................... Nowadays, computers are soo r-tarded, a woman could put it in her handbag, break it and buy another one, and play an MMORPG before and after it was broken in the same exact day. That is how loopy computers are today. I mean the poster child for the wall street kid is outspoken by the soccer mom talking on skype, about her world domination plans, while listening to her favorite band, while watching steaming movies, while downloading, while driving a car. Meanwhile somebody could be recording her actions. ............................................................................................................................................................................................................... Computers were sexy and beautiful, but not anymore. When i saw that desktop being advertised, and loaded Windows 98 for the first time, it felt like I was in a "Buck Rogers" flick. It was a mysterious world, of all kinds of amazements dealing with computers. However that soon turned into a dilbert situation, where you click click point point, and you realize your peers were animals, and your inside the cheap trap that was made for a bird. Now computers looks ( I mean newer models ), like crap. I purchase my crap, to make crap, to buy crap, and my crap breaks down, on the crap crap crap lane. Remember when televsions were made out of a wood, and you could put things on top of it??? Now they are flat and boring and you can't even play duck-hunt, most of them have that god forsaken wdiescreen. That in a nutshell is how I look at computers nowadays.

M()zart

M()zart

• PipPip
  • 275 posts

When you have a 100Mhz machine you can only run DOS programs on it.

Well, that's not true. I remember well Windows 95 on Pentium 90 of my friend, and even NT4 (or may be 95 too, but more likely NT4) on 486 in institute where I studied. Now I still have working Pentium 133 with Windows 98 installed and recently I even visited msfn website using this PC :)

If to talk about nostalgia, I think that we all think it was better some time ago only because we were younger some time ago.  PCs are the same - we like our first ones more just because they were the first. I doubt that we would really prefer to have old PCs instead of modern (I prefer to have both :) )

Edit: oh, and I forgot to mention that I read about Windows XP successfully booted on Pentium Overdrive downclocked to 20 MHz. So, 100 MHz should be enough :)

And there also were Windows 3.x requiring far less resources.

Edited by M()zart, 08 August 2013 - 05:23 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

How to remove advertisement from MSFN