Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

Silent Aero Glass Reloaded [Works with RC4]

• Please log in to reply
134 replies to this topic

DosProbie

DosProbie

Friend of MSFN

• MSFN Sponsor
  • 744 posts
  • Joined 16-October 12

Donator

+2

i am one of those that moaned about the popup but its gone away - or has in my mind - the plusses of aero far outweigh the popup which seems less and less intrusive

i might even miss it when we get the final version  :angel

Not when you're playing quake 3 arena and it pops up when you're trying to get some frags done

The Game issue has already been discussed many times on here, that's why I made a Toggle Aero with my installer so you can quickly toggle off aero when going to "Game mode" then toggle aero back on when done...DP

Edited by DosProbie, 12 July 2013 - 08:17 AM.

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

Tripredacus

Tripredacus

K-Mart-ian Legend

• Super Moderator
  • 9,893 posts
  • Joined 28-April 06

Donator

+2

i am one of those that moaned about the popup but its gone away - or has in my mind - the plusses of aero far outweigh the popup which seems less and less intrusive

i might even miss it when we get the final version  :angel

Not when you're playing quake 3 arena and it pops up when you're trying to get some frags done

The Game issue has already been discussed many times on here, that's why I made a Toggle Aero with my installer so you can quickly toggle off aero when going to "Game mode" then toggle aero back on when done...DP

That would make more sense. Why would you want Aero enabled if you can't even see it?

MSFN RULES | GimageX HTA for PE 3-5 | lol probloms
msfn2_zpsc37c7153.jpg

bigmuscle

bigmuscle

Aero Glass for Win8 developer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,048 posts
  • Joined 18-August 12

I must admit that this whole thing is a bit funny. The real reason why I added this messagebox was just an experiment to test users how they behaves if they get something for free. And you can see something weird which I haven't mentioned yet:

a) users are complaining about half-an-hour/once-an-hour messagebox, but the period between each popup is not half an hour and it's not either once an hour. The period is much much longer.

B) request to display messagebox is sent during the request to draw glass frame. And these requests don't come when desktop is not visible - e.g. you are playing the game etc.

Isn't it weird that users complain about something which doesn't exist in real?

Aero Glass for Win8.x --> http://www.glass8.eu

MrGRiM

MrGRiM

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 344 posts
  • Joined 17-October 12

Donator

I must admit that this whole thing is a bit funny. The real reason why I added this messagebox was just an experiment to test users how they behaves if they get something for free. And you can see something weird which I haven't mentioned yet:

a) users are complaining about half-an-hour/once-an-hour messagebox, but the period between each popup is not half an hour and it's not either once an hour. The period is much much longer.

B) request to display messagebox is sent during the request to draw glass frame. And these requests don't come when desktop is not visible - e.g. you are playing the game etc.

Yep sure is mate, I thought it was strange that the message box sometimes didn't show for a very long period of time, anyway it has never bothered me, I did add the option in the RC3 installer to disable glass but I took it out of the RC4 installer and also though about removing AGTweaker but it served a function purpose to change the theme resource, but that is all, mainly I just wanted to create a fool proof installer so you didn't get constant people complaining that they couldn't get it to work and to get a larger test ordiance to report any problems.

Edited by MrGRiM, 12 July 2013 - 09:07 AM.

MikeRL

MikeRL

Junior

• Pip
  • 59 posts
  • Joined 20-April 13

Donator

I don't approve of this myself, but I don't really disapprove of it either. I know users removing the message box is your pet peeve, bigmuscle, but we're pretty close to a stable from what you've said. Most users are not known for being all too patient, myself included. I even installed this. Both are open source, so it should be all good. Nobody is going to discredit you, remove your copyright or licenses with this. As long as someone doesn't put malware in it and post it to a warez site, this late in the game it isn't too big of a deal. Plus, better to get it from MSFN that some shady backdoor infested site. :yes:  Just grant the impatient a reprieve this late in the game. If bugs prop up, error, hell if someone's computer explodes due to them forking it, it's not your fault. So have no worries. Besides, you are a developer now (I don't know if you professionally develop for companies) but developers tend to have a lot more patience. But even for me that message box got a bit on my nerves. Not at first but when you game a bit on Steam, you're in a zombie-infested barn in HL2:Episode 2 and you have zombies charging at you and the message box steals focus from the game, it's a bit unnerving to say the least. Not all games will pause automatically, either, like Half Life did for me. In fact, a long time ago if a message box like this popped up I would be cursing in my head. Aaah first world problems. :)

francesco149

francesco149

• 19 posts
  • Joined 29-June 13

Games that are windowed full-screen such as the quake and the source engine will still cause the messagebox to popup. And I'm too lazy to toggle off aero glass every time I start up a game. Anyways, this is merely a proof of concept for semi-advanced users who want to disable that messagebox and was originally made just for myself. So yeah, it's not like I'll keep it up to date every time bigmusicle fixes it, and the average user is not going to be able to use it easily. It's up to the community what to do with this, and that's why I made it opensource.

gru

gru
  • 8 posts
  • Joined 22-June 13

Anyway,thank you

francesco149

francesco149

• 19 posts
  • Joined 29-June 13

RC3 stopped working for me since the last Win8 update, so I decided to finally update this to RC4.

Updated and tested on RC4, this should also fix crashing issues with some programs.

https://bitbucket.or...nt-ag/downloads

NOTE: this is only compatible with RC4+!

See this post for an insight on how I updated it

Edited by francesco149, 19 July 2013 - 11:21 AM.

Blackbird256

Blackbird256

• PipPip
  • 138 posts
  • Joined 01-February 13

Thanks dude. I'll test that  :thumbup

francesco149

francesco149

• 19 posts
  • Joined 29-June 13

Thanks dude. I'll test that  :thumbup

Hmm after testing for a while it seems to shut down aero glass after some time, does this happen to you guys as well? Working on a solution atm. There might be checks on the returns address of the API to check for hooks or something.

ORelio

ORelio

• PipPip
  • 170 posts
  • Joined 30-January 13

Thank you, now testing and I'll tell you if something goes wrong :)

EDIT: Yes, it disables by itself after about 30mins

Ah, by the way, having read the discussion above: The same way as it's legal to autoclick, it's allowed to hook Windows API calls, it's our computers and we mute boxes if we want to.

Moreover, it does not prevent users from reporting issues encountered when using Aero Glass for Win8, that's even the opposite, it allows to test it on a daily basis: that's a release candidate after all.

Edited by ORelio, 19 July 2013 - 12:52 PM.

Aero Glass Tweaker GUI : msfn.org/board/topic/162036

francesco149

francesco149

• 19 posts
  • Joined 29-June 13

Thank you, now testing and I'll tell you if something goes wrong :)

EDIT: Yes, it disables by itself after about 30mins

Ah, by the way, having read the discussion above: The same way as it's legal to autoclick, it's allowed to hook Windows API calls, it's our computers and we mute boxes if we want to.

Moreover, it does not prevent users from reporting issues encountered when using Aero Glass for Win8, that's even the opposite, it allows to test it on a daily basis: that's a release candidate after all.

Okay, I'm looking for a solution. Will let you guys know.

Blackbird256

Blackbird256

• PipPip
  • 138 posts
  • Joined 01-February 13

I didn't restart yet for Appinit to kick in, but I'll leave it on my VM then.

Aaaaa

Aaaaa

• 31 posts
  • Joined 02-November 12

What that obviously means is that people are not using the versions with the popup. Which also means you have fewer people testing it for actual bugs.

It just doesn't really make sense why you'd want that.

Blackbird256

Blackbird256

• PipPip
  • 138 posts
  • Joined 01-February 13

Yeah it stops working after few minutes to me. So close  :D

bigmuscle

bigmuscle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,048 posts
  • Joined 18-August 12

What that obviously means is that people are not using the versions with the popup. Which also means you have fewer people testing it for actual bugs.

It just doesn't really make sense why you'd want that.

From what I observed in the past is that it is enough that program is somehow limited so people must crack it. Many times, they either don't know what they gain by cracking. And this is the same situation - I wrote a note about messagebox into the changelog thus people must complain about it and they must crack the application. When popup shows once a year, users will still complain that it disturbs them and will try to crack it.

I could also say that messagebox is one the things which can be easily cracked. As my utility injects into DWM I could easily render any message into desktop directly and it would not be possible to easily crack it. (Yeah, everything can be cracked but in such case it would be much easier to write glass rendering from the scratch)

Blackbird256

Blackbird256

• PipPip
  • 138 posts
  • Joined 01-February 13

You are wrong. If it was on startup only or once a year as you say noone would care, every hour is unacceptable. Not to mention it steals all the focus.

Edited by Blackbird256, 20 July 2013 - 03:53 AM.

Aaaaa

Aaaaa

• 31 posts
  • Joined 02-November 12

I don't think the frequency even matters that much though. I mean, people get annoyed by Windows Update restart popups too, and you can delay them to 4 hours. (yes, you can delay them indefinitely by stopping the WU service, but most people don't know how).
And for the tradeoff of having aero glass vs having to deal with any amount of popups at all, most people just won't bother. It's less hassle even to just use Windows 7 instead.

bigmuscle

bigmuscle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,048 posts
  • Joined 18-August 12

You are wrong. If it was on startup only or once a year as you say noone would care, every hour is unacceptable. Not to mention it steals all the focus.

And that is what I said. The interval is not every hour - it is much much longer. Also, if no-one would care about startup-only, why users tried to crack startup-only message/background console when it was there in the first versions?

Blackbird256

Blackbird256

• PipPip
  • 138 posts
  • Joined 01-February 13

Umm there wasn't startup only in the first version? It was that cmd window wasting taskbar space and then messagebox. I don't know how you calculate it, but it was every hour for me and minimised fullscreen games.

bigmuscle

bigmuscle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,048 posts
  • Joined 18-August 12

How should you even know that there is no message box with one-hour interval when you use crack?

No, there was not messagebox in first versions. There was only debug console because the version was intended for debugging only. And isn't it a kind of paradox that people download debug version and they try to get rid of debug window? How can they help with testing then? Yes, it took space on the taskbar - the same space as any other window/application takes, or do you complain that e.g. excel wastes taskbar space?

Thus I redirected debug messages to file and displayed single startup messagebox. People were complaing that this one click blocks them from testing. bul*****... so I changed to one-hour interval to block people from using it - only to serve the original purpose = preview. Later I changed to two-hours interval and now it can happen that you won't see the message for six hours at all. And people still complain about one-hour interval. Also, just as I said above, the messagebox is displayed only when request to draw glass frame comes. And people still complain - not because they have problems but because they got limited version for free and they want full version for free. That's it, that's the real reason.

I must admit that I already wanted to release final version, but I delayed it. Why should I hurry? I don't think that people deserve it. They don't want to help with development, they don't want to test anything, they want only to abuse it for they own profit, nothing more.

francesco149

francesco149

• 19 posts
  • Joined 29-June 13

It's not like we don't check for bugs if we don't have to click that messagebox...  :boring:

Anyways if everything else fails I can always make the messagebox's window invisible and never close it.

Edited by francesco149, 20 July 2013 - 05:55 AM.

Blackbird256

Blackbird256

• PipPip
  • 138 posts
  • Joined 01-February 13

How should you even know that there is no message box with one-hour interval when you use crack?excel wastes taskbar space?

Thus I redirected debug messages to file and displayed single startup messagebox. People were complaing that this one click blocks them from testing. bul*****... so I changed to one-hour interval to block people from using it - only to serve the original purpose = preview. Later I changed to two-hours interval and now it can happen that you won't see the message for six hours at all. And people still complain about one-hour interval. Also, just as I said above, the messagebox is displayed only when request to draw glass frame comes. And people still complain - not because they have problems but because they got limited version for free and they want full version for free. That's it, that's the real reason.

I must admit that I already wanted to release final version, but I delayed it. Why should I hurry? I don't think that people deserve it. They don't want to help with development, they don't want to test anything, they want only to abuse it for they own profit, nothing more.

1) I like to have things in my taskbar I actually use and it was way too easy to accidentaly click on it.
2) What version had startup-only? I'm using this since 0.1 and none of them were startup-only.
3) Whether you intended it to be used for testing or daily use is irrelevant. It's my fault if I screw up my W8 install not yours. Since 0.7 it was good enough to leave all day with only minor slowdown.
3a) You can't group people like that. Obviously plenty of them will be impatient like me, but you have to deal with that. If this is your first project I can understand the frustration, but you should take a look at some moddb's mod profiles and you'll see the exact same thing. You can't let some people discourage you otherwise you'll never release anything
4) It's not free. More like shareware if you know the term and I really hate shareware. Trial is much better for actually trying something.
5) I realized that months ago, because most of the updates weren't fixes, but rather new experiments unless you don't list everything in your changelog. Abuse it? Nah they want to use feature that was supposed to be in W8 in the first place if M$ wasn't bunch of dumbasses and don't want to wait if functional way is available which is why so many people grapsed at straws to get transparency working through that theme glitch.

It's not like we don't check for bugs if we don't have to click that messagebox...  :boring:
Anyways if everything else fails I can always make the messagebox's window invisible and never close it.

This too. Do you really think we wouldn't report any bug we would come across so our experience is better? That is really silly.

Edited by Blackbird256, 20 July 2013 - 06:53 AM.

DosProbie

DosProbie

Friend of MSFN

• MSFN Sponsor
  • 744 posts
  • Joined 16-October 12

Donator

BigMuscle, I know it must frustrate you to no end about someone tampering and cracking what you have worked so long and hard on, and I Know that the Majority of us on here Don't want some Cracked version but rather a legit paid for version!,  So keep up the good work and We will be ready only after its been fully tested and your ready to release it..DP :yes:

bigmuscle

bigmuscle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,048 posts
  • Joined 18-August 12
1) I like to have things in my taskbar I actually use and it was way too easy to accidentaly click on it.

Ok, so it means that you don't want to have AeroGlass in taskbar because you don't use it? Or it seems to be very illogical to me. You want to help with debugging but you hate that it displays debugging window... weird.

3) Whether you intended it to be used for testing or daily use is irrelevant. It's my fault if I screw up my W8 install not yours. Since 0.7 it was good enough to leave all day with only minor slowdown.

No, it is not irrelevant. There are some usage condition and if you use software against it then you violate the license. Of couse, it is your fault if it screws your OS, but it is also your fault that you install debug/testing/preview sofware and it disturbs you from normal work. And this is the reason why I won't release Win8.1-version to public at all.

I sometimes don't understand this behaviour. You can see it with e.g. Windows 8.1 Preview too. Time-limited preview was released and people started to search for ways how to remove watermark on desktop or how to extend trial period (a bit illogical). How does it help MS with development?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users