IPB Update July 2013 (to version 3.4.5)

Isn't this thread about update bugs? Thread is real mess and I just can't figure out what is broken or not. RTE editor is here and will stay that way.

I have no problem with the RTE editor being here, but I do consider the fact that the "plain text" (or BBCode as bphlpt referred to it) editor does not behave as it used to to be a "bug." Features that used to work are broken.

Is it possible to have both editor types, or to enable the "controls" under the plain-text editor as it was before?

Edited by LoneCrusader

folks please... only bugs and suggestions. Short and simple. It is hard to me to find the way through all those post.

Bugs, suggestions, observations and please be short and simple.

Thanks.

Most of the problems that I reported yesterday are gone, thanks!

However, there is still one bug, one question (possible bug?), and then I have one new suggestion for improvement.

The bug:

When I click to insert an emoticon, there is a little blue triangle at the right end of the blue strip below the reply box that shows some of the emoticons. When I click on the blue triangle, the emoticons disappear and a new blue triangle appears at the left end (sugggesting that it's to go back to the previous list). Clicking on that triangle doesn't do anything, though, so it serves no purpose and leads to some confusion as the user clicks on it and then tries to figure out what's (not) going on.

The question:

Glance over at my info in the left panel. You'll see the number of posts and the OS that I use. Between those two lines there is one that reads, "0 warning points". What is that, and since the value is zero, can we get rid of the line altogether? I haven't noticed anybody else's info panel carrying that line.

The new suggestion:

In the reply functions, quoted text shows up nice and crisp, but when I submit the post, the same quoted text appears in a dim gray that I find quite difficult to read -- not enough contrast with the white background. Is there a way to improve that contrast? If it's a setting that I can do at my end, let me know as that will be good enough for me.

Thank you very much, and good luck with the ongoing work.

--JorgeA

[OT]what is RTE?[/OT]

The senseless acronym for the senseless name of Rich Text Editor. (which is not an editor since it doesn't work and it is not rich at all, only "text" is correct).

A more appropriate name would be SPTGE (Senselessly Poor Text Garbling Editor).

But it's by design (and the guys at IPB board - besides not being able to understand bug reports - are stubbornly convinced that this non-working approach is much better than the old one ), see:

http://community.invisionpower.com/topic/356448-rich-text-editor/

jaclaz

The question:

Glance over at my info in the left panel. You'll see the number of posts and the OS that I use. Between those two lines there is one that reads, "0 warning points". What is that, and since the value is zero, can we get rid of the line altogether? I haven't noticed anybody else's info panel carrying that line.

I don't see that in your info in the left panel, or in anyone else's, but I do see it in mine. Apparently, each member only sees it in their own panel. Why it needs to be there at all, or at least as long as it is "0", I have no idea. I would think it can be turned off.

Cheers and Regards

Isn't this thread about update bugs? Thread is real mess and I just can't figure out what is broken or not. RTE editor is here and will stay that way.

ok. i'm out now for some rest :w00t:

will continue tomorrow.

@Xper ... Thanks for all the quick work! Definitely get some sleep. Note that I am trying to edit the top post to keep status of some of the concerns, I'll repeat a few of them here. IMHO these I think are worth tweaking ...

(1) Quote box foreground and background are way too bright. The foreground text ( color: ) is light gray and the background ( background-color: ) is very light gray. Also the quote box header is gray. The difference between previous ( green style ) and now causes the quotes to melt into comment itself, as opposed to being clearly a unique element. If you stand back it almost looks like the old USENET >>> angle bracket mega-nesting. Here is the color scheme I see right now ...

253.253.253 ... #FDFDFD ... Page Background252.252.252 ... #FCFCFC ... Quote Background242.242.242 ... #F2F2F2 ... Quote Header Background
Ouch, our eyes! Here is what the previous forum style was ...

250.251.252 ... #FAFBFC ... Page Background243.249.246 ... #F3F9F6 ... Quote Background211.233.220 ... #D3E9DC ... Quote Header Background
Note that for those last two elements the previous skin alternated colors as quotes became more deeply nested, so those codes I listed only apply to the topmost level.

(2) Add some padding-bottom to the quote container. You will notice that in a comment that contains a quote, if the commenter types immediately beneath it then it renders that comment butted right up against the quote box. This padding existed previously so you might just take the same setting from the old style sheet.

(3) Please see about returning the user selected # posts displayed per page. Some of us enjoyed using the maximum ( was 150 per page ).

(4) The Member Joined field is no longer shown but is probably one of the more useful bits of information. I used it to help easily spot the nightly trolls that bottom post a bunch of threads ( they tend to use images now, so a brand new poster with a bunch of imges made it a certainty ).

(5) In the forum Page Navigation there is no longer the ability to click on "14 Pages" ( just an example ) and then enter a specific page number. No issue here, just click on the Page x of x to get the dialog.

(6) There is still a tweak needed for Bullet Lists. I believe an adjustment was made but to the line-height rather than padding-bottom or padding-top. This results in equal spacing in both wordwrapped lines and entirely new bullet lines. The wall of text appearance is now gone, but the spacing makes the bulleting irrelevant. Please see Post #2 in this thread. The first example is how it currently looks, the second is manually edited to show how it could look better.

ipoddj2.jpg

My eyes! Man that theme is bright. My boy Vinny has gotta fix this!

( I just realized who your avatar resembles! )

EDIT: scratch issue #5.

Edited by CharlotteTheHarlot

(5) In the forum Page Navigation there is no longer the ability to click on "14 Pages" ( just an example ) and then enter a specific page number.

@CharlotteTheHarlot: It just changed a little... the page count per se isn't there anymore, but instead there is a "Page x of y" and, if you just click on it, the good ol' box opens all right and you actually can type a page number and jump to it, as always. :)

post-134642-0-70116900-1373779159.gif

[OT]what is RTE?[/OT]

The senseless acronym for the senseless name of Rich Text Editor. (which is not an editor since it doesn't work and it is not rich at all, only "text" is correct).

A more appropriate name would be SPTGE (Senselessly Poor Text Garbling Editor).

ok, thanks :)

I've already turned it off and use a Firefox Extension which inserts the BBCodes for me.

(5) In the forum Page Navigation there is no longer the ability to click on "14 Pages" ( just an example ) and then enter a specific page number.

@CharlotteTheHarlot: It just changed a little... the page count per se isn't there anymore, but instead there is a "Page x of y" and, if you just click on it, the good ol' box opens all right and you actually can type a page number and jump to it, as always. :)

Ah, I see. Thanks. Scratch that one!

Still, it seems to be rather difficult to figure out for someone who doesn't know about it... The "Page x of y" doesn't look like a link at all. It appears to be just a static text.

Still, it seems to be rather difficult to figure out for someone who doesn't know about it... The "Page x of y" doesn't look like a link at all. It appears to be just a static text.

It's one of those new fangled trendy bandwagons. Undiscoverability. :lol:

It's one of those new fangled trendy bandwagons. Undiscoverability. :lol:

Well, what I'm doing is the same I've been doing all my life: leaving no stone unturned... :P

Seems to be the only true way to find out what every nook and cranny of a UI really is there for. :D

Did you ever play the true Leisure Suit Larry in the Land of the Lounge Lizards (not the 1991 remake)?

Well, what I'm doing is the same I've been doing all my life: leaving no stone unturned... :P

Seems to be the only true way to find out what every nook and cranny of a UI really is there for. :D

Did you ever play the true Leisure Suit Larry in the Land of the Lounge Lizards (not the 1991 remake)?

No stone unturned. I hear that.

Ah yes, LLL, that was the first Larry, right? I got it somewhere. And I know exactly what you mean. Add in King's Quest and Black Cauldron too. You could breeze through the game okay but you would most likely miss something in an earlier window pane ( up/down/left/right screen paging ). You had to be sure to pick up everything or you would later be doubling back through already visited panes until you find what you missed. Did that a few times. I guess our new OS interfaces and forum themes are the new Quests!

BTW, as limited as those Sierra games were, they were like quake/unreal engine graphics compared to the earliest PC text games. I think Zork was the first or maybe Microsoft Adventure. Take this, take that, look up, etc. ( Come to think of it, maybe Zork should be released in the Microsoft Store for all those MetroTards that tell us how fond they are of typing the names of their files and folders instead of clicking through hierarchies. It should be an absolutely huge hit! )

1295455808Zork,%20grue.jpg