Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

IPB Update July 2013 (to version 3.4.5) - BUGS Only

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
266 replies to this topic

JorgeA

JorgeA

FORMAT B: /V /S

• MSFN Sponsor
  • 3,725 posts
  • Joined 08-April 10

Sorry to report this, but I'm once again not receiving e-mail notifications of new posts in threads that I'm subscribed to.

The last notifications to arrive were on Friday, May 29. I haven't made any changes to my e-mail settings or to my MSFN profile preferences.

--JorgeA

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

JorgeA

JorgeA

• MSFN Sponsor
  • 3,725 posts
  • Joined 08-April 10

No change in the situation: e-mail notifications are still not coming in.

--JorgeA

Tripredacus

Tripredacus

K-Mart-ian Legend

• Super Moderator
  • 10,003 posts
  • Joined 28-April 06

Donator

I always wondered about this... I always disable email notifications except for PMs and secret mod stuffs... Are you saying that you wouldn't come here unless you got an email? :(

:P

MSFN RULES | GimageX HTA for PE 3-5 | lol probloms
tpxmsfn1_zps393339c1.jpg

bphlpt

bphlpt

MSFN Addict

• Patrons
  • 1,967 posts
  • Joined 12-May 07

I also disable ALL email notifications.  ( I get enough emails, thank you very much. )  Instead, I always enter the site via the "View New Content" link.  You can set up your preferences to display "By time period", with several options, and threads that have new content since you last read that thread will show up in Bold, so it's really easy to quickly visually scan and see if there is new content you want to read.  This works well if you want to "monitor" the whole board and not miss new posts, and I would imagine that it would be even easier if you were really only interested in making sure you kept up with a subset of the total number of threads.

Cheers and Regards

Posted Image

JorgeA

JorgeA

• MSFN Sponsor
  • 3,725 posts
  • Joined 08-April 10

I always wondered about this... I always disable email notifications except for PMs and secret mod stuffs... Are you saying that you wouldn't come here unless you got an email? :(

:P

Sometimes I'm participating in multiple threads at once and I can't remember the names of all of them, so getting those e-mail notifications is extremely helpful in staying current with those topics. It's more efficient (faster) than scanning the whole board, plus I may not remember where I have or haven't posted recently.

This is indeed the way I come into MSFN most often. There are times when I do visit just to see what's new, but I'd estimate that 80 90% of the time I come in it's in response to an e-mail notification telling me that someone on a topic I'm following has posted a reply here. There's a lot of stuff going on out there in life and many different things vying for one's attention (spouse, work, family, TV, ...), so it helps a lot to get those notices.

--JorgeA

jaclaz

jaclaz

The Finder

• Developer
  • 15,631 posts
  • Joined 23-July 04

There's a lot of stuff going on out there in life and many different things vying for one's attention (spouse, work, family, TV, ...)[1], so it helps a lot to get those notices.

Missing footnote ;):

[1]order of priorities kindly provided by JorgeA's wife.

jaclaz

JorgeA

JorgeA

• MSFN Sponsor
  • 3,725 posts
  • Joined 08-April 10

I also disable ALL email notifications.  ( I get enough emails, thank you very much. )  Instead, I always enter the site via the "View New Content" link.  You can set up your preferences to display "By time period", with several options, and threads that have new content since you last read that thread will show up in Bold, so it's really easy to quickly visually scan and see if there is new content you want to read.  This works well if you want to "monitor" the whole board and not miss new posts, and I would imagine that it would be even easier if you were really only interested in making sure you kept up with a subset of the total number of threads.

Cheers and Regards

Thanks, bphlpt.

I see what you mean about the filter preferences. I wasn't aware of this function, but it could be really useful.

Still, though, it means having to actively remember to go in and look; see my reply to Trip above.

--JorgeA

JorgeA

JorgeA

• MSFN Sponsor
  • 3,725 posts
  • Joined 08-April 10

There's a lot of stuff going on out there in life and many different things vying for one's attention (spouse, work, family, TV, ...)[1], so it helps a lot to get those notices.

Missing footnote ;):

[1]order of priorities kindly provided by JorgeA's wife.

jaclaz

LOL -- you got it exactly right! :)

--JorgeA

xper

xper

Insane Clown

• Administrator
  • 2,579 posts
  • Joined 16-August 01

Nothing changed on a site/server level in the last 45 days. Can't see anything wrong with mail server settings. 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Become an MSFN Sponsor Now! Keep Up MSFN Running

Read MSFN Forum Rules
Not a member? Donate here!

JorgeA

JorgeA

• MSFN Sponsor
  • 3,725 posts
  • Joined 08-April 10

If you haven't changed anything at your end and I haven't changed anything at my end, what else could be causing this change in the outcome (no e-mail notifications)? :unsure:

Is there any way for you to determine whether the notifications are being sent out to me?

--JorgeA

Edited by JorgeA, 06 June 2015 - 08:56 AM.

jaclaz

jaclaz

The Finder

• Developer
  • 15,631 posts
  • Joined 23-July 04

If you haven't changed anything at your end and I haven't changed anything at my end, what else could be causing this change in the outcome (no e-mail notifications)? :unsure:

Spoiler

jaclaz

JorgeA

JorgeA

• MSFN Sponsor
  • 3,725 posts
  • Joined 08-April 10

LOL, I did suspect cosmic rays messing with the server or the pipeline... <_<

--JorgeA

xper

xper

Insane Clown

• Administrator
  • 2,579 posts
  • Joined 16-August 01

Spoiler

jaclaz

I will take a look asap.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Read MSFN Forum Rules

xper

xper

Insane Clown

• Administrator
  • 2,579 posts
  • Joined 16-August 01

@JorgeA

I just sent you test mail.

Read MSFN Forum Rules

JorgeA

JorgeA

• MSFN Sponsor
  • 3,725 posts
  • Joined 08-April 10

Thanks for testing, xper. The test e-mail has not (yet) arrived. :}

--JorgeA

bphlpt

bphlpt

MSFN Addict

• Patrons
  • 1,967 posts
  • Joined 12-May 07

Cheers and Regards

Thanks, bphlpt.

I see what you mean about the filter preferences. I wasn't aware of this function, but it could be really useful.

Still, though, it means having to actively remember to go in and look; see my reply to Trip above.

--JorgeA

Also note the filter options on the left under "Other":

Other

So if you pick "Items I participated in" or "Just items I follow" then you won't see the threads that you have no interest in.

I understand you only wanting to come to the board if there have been responses to what you have posted, and then only if you are not otherwise involved with other more important things, but I view having to read emails that same way.  I only want to read emails when I choose, not feel pressured to look at them just because something sends me a notification. :)  Everyone has their own preference on how they like to do things.  That's the advantage of having multiple ways of accomplishing a goal.  I hope your preferred method gets fixed so it works the way you want it to work.

Cheers and Regards

Posted Image

JorgeA

JorgeA

• MSFN Sponsor
  • 3,725 posts
  • Joined 08-April 10

Me, too! :)

I played with the filter as you suggested. By selecting both "items I participated in" and "just items I follow," it seems to do the trick. Thanks!

Another way I discovered was to click on the notifications bell that sits between the user name and "sign out" at the top of the page, then click on "view all notifications." The resulting page (in "My control panel --> Settings --> My notifications") seems to give the list of posts for which notifications would normally be getting e-mailed. One could bookmark that page. Or if I go there directly enough times, then it'll start showing up in the list of most popular sites when I open a new browser tab. :yes:  In fact that's how I get to MSFN most of the time now when not simply responding to an e-mail notification: I use the Taskbar jumplist or open a new tab and click on the MSFN thumbnail.

If e-mail notifications never got fixed, a workaround of sorts would then be to set up a reminder in Outlook to check every so often in "View new content" or "My notifications." There are some forums where I forget to visit for literally months at a time. I did say life had a lot of distractions but I wouldn't want MSFN to suffer that same fate.  ;)

--JorgeA

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users