First, thanks for the forum.
I have been active only in the Windows 8 section. Since I did not know about this thread, and also since the problems I'm having are specific to Internet Explorer 11 in Windows 8, I posted some problem reports over there.
You likely already know about these things, but for the convenience of those here, I'll repeat what I posted at the above link:
I've never managed to get a very good experience from this forum ever since moving to Windows 8.1 and Internet Explorer version 11. I can read posts here just fine, but it's just difficult to edit...
- The first problem is basic, really - I can't paste anything. It's surprising how much I rely on cut/copy/paste. You really notice when you can't do it. Not being able to do so really hobbles the user experience on a technical forum. Pasting in things like registry data, script code, etc. or even moving blocks of text from one place to another while composing a message are painful.
- Another problem is that the quoting facility doesn't work. When I press the [quote] button, there's just an empty edit box. If I use the balloon icon, just an empty "Quote" box appears.
Sure, there are some workarounds, but the need to be using workarounds seems to be going on kind of long. It's not like IE11 is newly released any more. Makes me wonder whether the forum software authors have a particular hatred for Internet Explorer 11...
- Drag and drop text from one place in the forum to another usually works. But after cutting text and finding out it won't paste somewhere else, one has to remember to use Control-Z to Undo the cut, then select/drag/drop. And you can't drag/drop from another window.
- One CAN paste into a code box, then drag and drop out of that box and into the plain text area, then delete the code box - so that's actually an effective workaround, if a bit convoluted.
- Sure, I have other browsers installed, and I could use them (having heard that they work on this site) but I'd prefer not to. I prefer to use IE for several reasons. This is not a fundamental "can't get there from here" kind of problem - just an irritation.
Thanks for your attention.