Its kinda hot today...

Tripredacus

Trip, you need to make up your mind.

A clone is EITHER a clone or is it not.

If it is a clone, it is - by definition - NOT distinguishable from the original.

A clone (unless it is connected/mounted at the same time as the original and the Mount Manager rewrites the Disk Signature to avoid conflicts) will NOT have drive letters changed.

jaclaz

I'm only wondering because if I replace both drives, going from IDE to SATA, Windows could potentially change the drive letters couldn't it? Even if I did clone the IDE drive to SATA and everything would be the same, Windows still would know it was a new disk and enumerate it that first time...

Tripredacus ... don't have anything to offer about the heat situation but in your first post I learned about two programs I had never heard of ... from your pictures ... TechPowerUp GPU-Z v0.7.2 and CPUID HWMonitor. I have a Pentium M (1.6) IBM Thinkpad with XP Pro but I don't get all the information that you get ... I guess you have more sensors to detect more readings. Still glad to have found out about these two software programs.

I'm only wondering because if I replace both drives, going from IDE to SATA, Windows could potentially change the drive letters couldn't it? Even if I did clone the IDE drive to SATA and everything would be the same, Windows still would know it was a new disk and enumerate it that first time...

NO.

Drive letter assignment is ONLY linked to:

1. Disk Signature
  2. Offset of the volume on the disk

and NOTHING else (no matter the bus/connection).

If you do not change those two pieces of data, Windows won't change drive letter assignment.

And in any case, with the exception of the volume from which windows is booted from you can manually assign/reassign drive letters alright.

The drive letter assignment is through HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\MountedDevices .

There will be two keys in it, one with the Volume GUID and one with the drive letter, BOTH containing the SAME data (in the case of an internal hard disk).

These data is detailed here (through Wayback Machine as right now the 911CD Forum is down :():

http://web.archive.org/web/20130530045307/http://www.911cd.net/forums//index.php?showtopic=19663

Nothing has changed since 2K.

A Volume GUID:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/aa365248(v=vs.85).aspx

though not really "unique" has a very low chance of collision and AFAIK it's generation is time/machine dependent (and not bus/interface).

jaclaz

Tripredacus ... don't have anything to offer about the heat situation but in your first post I learned about two programs I had never heard of ... from your pictures ... TechPowerUp GPU-Z v0.7.2 and CPUID HWMonitor. I have a Pentium M (1.6) IBM Thinkpad with XP Pro but I don't get all the information that you get ... I guess you have more sensors to detect more readings. Still glad to have found out about these two software programs.

For the longest time I always ignored these types of programs because, like you, I had always older boards that didn't seem to give me any sort of readings. I only had one of these already, the GPU-Z from when my old video card was failing. I was surprised when opening it that it showed me the video card temperature which was why I went to find the other one. My only complaint is that it doesn't pick up the fan speeds, but that is probably because most of them run off the PSU. I will have to check again later to see if any of them are actually connected to the board.

NO.

jaclaz

Thanks then that is good to know.

Also on a side note, thinking about that airflow animation and what Charlotte said before... I think I can made some stride in increasing airflow to the area where the intake that blows over the hard drives is. :ph34r: