Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

• Please log in to reply
1091 replies to this topic

Tihiy

Tihiy

the creator

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,931 posts

Donator

Ladies and Gentlemen, please welcome StartIsBack+!

StartIsBack+ is the all-new version of StartIsBack for Windows 8.1. It's a FREE upgrade for all StartIsBack users.

plus.jpg

What's cool in StartIsBack+?

New unique features:
- "Everything at once". Hold down Windows key for half a second until search icon appears in the center of the screen; release it and have instant access to all your running apps, taskbar and charms or search bar at the same time from any app you use. Its a great multitasking helper which should be very useful for both tablet and classic PCs. You don't have to learn all keyboard shortcuts, run your mouse to the screen corners or perform awkward swipes. Just hold down Windows key on keyboard or double-tap Win logo on the tablet! (off by default)
- Taskbar on Start screen. You can set StartIsBack to always display taskbar on Start screen and greatly reduce Start screen stress!
Although this function appeared in SIB 2.1, it really shines in Windows 8.1 when you set your wallpaper for Start screen.

General:
- Start menu has been rebuilt from ground up. It no longer uses code present in explorer; but! No features were lost and actually has been improved with new features and many fixes for bugs present in original menu code. StartIsBack+ uses LESS resources than native menu!
- Start menu utilizes start menu "soul" left in Windows; it's fully compatible with Windows 7 / StartIsBack settings and policies
- StartIsBack+ does not require a process or service to run, comes with support / translation for all Windows languages (where MUI is available)

- StartIsBack+ is better suited for tablets and convertibles.

Start menu:
- Start menu has been rebuilt from ground up. Lot of Windows 7 menu bugs were fixed
- Items in right pane can be removed or tweaked in-place (hold shift with right-click)
- Items in right pane can be configured as menu for more items (like Connect To)
- You can add your own folders into right pane by drag & drop

- All Programs can show folders before items
- Start menu configuration is much more streamlined

Start Apps (Modern apps) folder in All Programs:
- Higher-quality icons are used
- You can create a shortcut for Modern app from Start Apps folder directly via drag & drop
- You can uninstall Modern apps directly from context menu

Start button:
- StartIsBack+ provides start button for each taskbar
- StartIsBack+ uses built-in Windows 8.1 start button image (by default), but with different selection / animation effect to distinguish it

Skinning:
- Same skins included; Plain8 is the default
- Start menu is a full sheet of glass; without hacks
- Glass layer can be turned off totally; without hacks
- StartIsBack+ allows using msstyles from Windows 8 unaltered (you still need UxStyle or whatever)

Other changes:
- All screen edges but bottom-left are enabled by default
- Settings for bottom-left corner were removed
- F3 on desktop no longer launches desktop search
- StartIsBack+ settings for start menu are now stored in ..\StartIsBack registry key, not in ...\Explorer\Advanced. Existing settings are migrated.

StartIsBack+ is for Windows 8.1 only. If you want to upgrade your Windows 8 with StartIsBack installed to Windows 8.1, make sure you have StartIsBack version 2.0 or above!

Edited by Tihiy, 05 April 2014 - 01:27 PM.

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

Tihiy

Tihiy

the creator

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,931 posts

Donator

DOWNLOAD: http://www.startisba...kPlus_setup.exe

handle with care!

Edited by Tihiy, 09 October 2013 - 01:42 PM.

MagicAndre1981

MagicAndre1981

after Windows 7 GA still Vista lover :)

• Patrons
  • 6,022 posts

Donator

nice, I'll try it later this day.
Posted Image

• 15 posts

Installed it just for me and installation went ok. But after restart got this error.

Attached File  Capture.PNG   13.19KB   39 downloads

xper

xper

Insane Clown

• Administrator
  • 20,136 posts

You should include link to this thread on your site. Thank you.

Edited by xper, 17 July 2013 - 04:01 AM.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Become an MSFN Sponsor Now! Keep Up MSFN Running

Read MSFN Forum Rules
Not a member? Donate here!

santij07

santij07

• 19 posts

Same Error after install, I went to the settings I made some changes then apply and the error appear, another error the default theme without color appear then go to normal windows 7 default.

Attached Files

akmtshun

akmtshun
  • 2 posts

I am using Windows 8.1 preview in Japanese.  All menu items can be displayed correctly in Japanese, except "Run" and "Help and Support".  Any idea about this?  Thank you.

Attached File  capture.PNG   262.24KB   20 downloads

aviv00

aviv00

Windowaizer

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 979 posts

thx very responsive  as  Usual :)

gsilvap

gsilvap

• 24 posts

For when a video with unique features???

Keep the good work Tihiy!!!

Tihiy

Tihiy

the creator

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,931 posts

Donator

351837, santij07 please help me to reproduce this. Specify your Windows install type (upgrade / clean), x86/x64, how did you install StartIsBack, how did you launch configurator and what you did to get the error box.

• 15 posts

Mine is clean install but on VMware, maybe it has to do something with that.

After installation SB and restart explorer nothing happened so i restarted os and after restart i went to desktop, config window pops up and i changed just start orb form sb menu and hit ok. Then error pops up.

Forgot to mention. I enabled built in admin account and installed sb from there.

Tihiy

Tihiy

the creator

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,931 posts

Donator

Fixed the crash with some black magic, you don't have to update anything yet.

santij07

santij07

• 19 posts

351837, santij07 please help me to reproduce this. Specify your Windows install type (upgrade / clean), x86/x64, how did you install StartIsBack, how did you launch configurator and what you did to get the error box.

Windows 8.1 preview install CLEAN x64, install startisback for all user, I launch configuration on start menu right click Properties and I choose from first properties that I want and choose a orb an then apply and get the error.

Edited by santij07, 17 July 2013 - 07:45 PM.

MagicAndre1981

MagicAndre1981

• Patrons
  • 6,022 posts

Donator

I got the same crash in the config tool, but I have no idea what I did.

Also, unchecking all active corners at ones, doesn't work. I have to unchecck each entry.
Posted Image

xpclient

xpclient

XP was my idea. 3rd party apps make NT6 my idea.

• PipPipPip
  • 334 posts

Is there a screenshot of Everything at once? :)

Impossible to run NT6 without third party fixes.

Soukyuu

Soukyuu

• PipPip
  • 183 posts

One of the win7 startmenu bugs is still not fixed. The startmenu should be aligned with the taskbar, not over it.

One other thing I noticed is that installing dropbox with SiB active didn't restart the explorer, and when I did manually, SiB didn't came back until a relog. Which process would I have to start to get the SiB taskbar back in such a case?

@xpclient: here's a sample of "all at once (focus search)". The other one shows the charm bar on the right side instead.

AMD Phenom II X4 970BE | 12GB DDR3 | nVidia 260GTX | Windows 8.1u1 x64 Pro | Primary
Intel C2D T7250 | 4GB DDR2 | nVidia 8600m GT | Windows 7 x64 Pro | Secondary

MrGRiM

MrGRiM

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 335 posts

Donator

One of the win7 startmenu bugs is still not fixed. The startmenu should be aligned with the taskbar, not over it.

One other thing I noticed is that installing dropbox with SiB active didn't restart the explorer, and when I did manually, SiB didn't came back until a relog. Which process would I have to start to get the SiB taskbar back in such a case?

@xpclient: here's a sample of "all at once (focus search)". The other one shows the charm bar on the right side instead.

I didn't see it as a bug on Windows 7 and still don't, what would be the point in having it aligned along side the taskbar, it's not like you need to use the taskbar when you have the start menu open and nor can you anyway, can you give an example how this would be beneficial at all?

Soukyuu

Soukyuu

• PipPip
  • 183 posts

I didn't see it as a bug on Windows 7 and still don't, what would be the point in having it aligned along side the taskbar, it's not like you need to use the taskbar when you have the start menu open and nor can you anyway, can you give an example how this would be beneficial at all?

You do realize that exact argument was one of the arguments used by microsoft to justify the start screen... do you? ^^
Anyway, it is a positioning bug since in horizontal taskbar placement the startmenu does not overlay the taskbar. Only in vertical ones. It also looks fairly ugly from the design standpoint.

edit: just look at this comparison. Personally, it looks more neat the way I'd like to have it. Since tihiy is not bound by Microsoft's code anymore, we might as well do that, unless he doesn't want to bother.

@tihiy, thanks for fixing the order of the shutdown options btw :]

Edited by Soukyuu, 18 July 2013 - 10:28 AM.

AMD Phenom II X4 970BE | 12GB DDR3 | nVidia 260GTX | Windows 8.1u1 x64 Pro | Primary
Intel C2D T7250 | 4GB DDR2 | nVidia 8600m GT | Windows 7 x64 Pro | Secondary

MrGRiM

MrGRiM

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 335 posts

Donator

You do realize that exact argument was one of the arguments used by microsoft to justify the start screen... do you? ^^
Anyway, it is a positioning bug since in horizontal taskbar placement the startmenu does not overlay the taskbar. Only in vertical ones. It also looks fairly ugly from the design standpoint.

edit: just look at this comparison. Personally, it looks more neat the way I'd like to have it. Since tihiy is not bound by Microsoft's code anymore, we might as well do that, unless he doesn't want to bother.

@tihiy, thanks for fixing the order of the shutdown options btw :]

I agree from a design standpoint but in the first post you mentioned it as a bug, which it isn't, but I think your correct, it does look much nicer along side the taskbar and if Tihiy can do that with a fair amount of ease then yeah I say go for it.

Tihiy

Tihiy

the creator

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,931 posts

Donator

+BETA 2 is here

http://startisback.c...s_setupBETA.exe

- New: clicking bottom-left corner with mouse wheel button shows Start menu
- Fixed configurator not remembering recent programs count
- Fixed configurator crash once
- Fixed Run / Help items not localized
- Fixed taskbar on Start screen / Everything at once not working if login is to Start screen

MagicAndre1981

MagicAndre1981

• Patrons
  • 6,022 posts

Donator

nice, I'll test the new version ater today :)

Posted Image

Blackbird256

Blackbird256

• PipPip
  • 138 posts
Good to see there's still way to have W7 start menu in 8.1 so if I'll be forced to upgrade I can use this. Good job!

berlen

berlen

• 13 posts

Tihiy, I'd like to thank you for all your work! It's really remarkable!

0upa3

0upa3
  • 8 posts

This is great. Now I can still use Modern UI with touchscreen on my tablet and still have normal start menu when tablet is docked with mouse connected. Great choice to let Start menu open even when Start button is hidden - I still can click in the corner. I used my available StartIsBack activations already. I guess I will buy next license just for it. :)

Edited by 0upa3, 20 July 2013 - 01:14 PM.

Tihiy

Tihiy

the creator

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,931 posts

Donator

This is great. Now I can still use Modern UI with touchscreen on my tablet and still have normal start menu when tablet is docked with mouse connected. Great choice to let Start menu open even when Start button is hidden - I still can click in the corner. I used my available StartIsBack activations already. I guess I will buy next license just for it. :)

Did you try 'Everything at once' function with tablet Windows key? You don't have to buy new license, just e-mail me.

Edited by Tihiy, 20 July 2013 - 02:43 PM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Its back... again!, windows 8 themes, windows 8.1 themes, windows 8 visual styles, windows 8.1 visual styles

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

How to remove advertisement from MSFN