NX off on X64?

GrofLuigi

I disabled it quite some time ago and forgot about it. I haven't noticed any problems with it, but I vaguely remember I read somewhere it was not recommended. Is it only for memory protection purposes, or (as I think I remember) it helps with PAE or AWE or whatever address translation is called on x64 (if it exists at all)...

Sorry for not being clear, but I am very convinced I read it is strongly recommended to not turn it off, and here is my OS, working around 6 months without any problems. Any comments?

Output of bcdedit:

Windows Boot Manager--------------------identifier {bootmgr}device partition=C:description Windows Boot Managerlocale en-USinherit {globalsettings}default {current}resumeobject {ed361037-5239-11e1-b35a-8c185ebdf863}displayorder {current}toolsdisplayorder {memdiag}timeout 30Windows Boot Loader-------------------identifier {current}device partition=C:path \Windows\system32\winload.exedescription Windows 7locale en-USinherit {bootloadersettings}recoverysequence {ed361039-5239-11e1-b35a-8c185ebdf863}recoveryenabled Yesosdevice partition=C:systemroot \Windowsresumeobject {ed361037-5239-11e1-b35a-8c185ebdf863}nx AlwaysOffsos Yesuseplatformclock Yes

NX or DEP is from preventing the execution of malicious code that can seize the whole memory. It renders a part of the memory for data storage only and if a program tries to execute code in it it just crushes. The only problem that I am aware of is with programs that doesn't respect the DEP restrictions (usually old ones).