Aero Glass for Win8.1 RTM RC3

Please, could you verify how your computer runs without Aero Glass for several days

After 1 full day of operation (doing heavy software development all day, tons of work) without Aero Glass for Windows 8.1: No visual glitches, no lockups - not one.

Painful as it is to use Windows 8.1 this way, I will continue to do so to monitor for problems.

-Noel

It would be also good to try previous versions to detect whether problem started to appear with certain change.

+ I recommend to enable logging on your private build ;)

Edited by bigmuscle

Why there are no stripes when using Aero Peek (even though they show up in other places, like frames of windows) and why does this program makes transparent even those visual styles which weren’t created for using with glass effects?

My questions above weren’t answered... :}
Also, why doesn’t this program automatically check (like Windows 7 DWM does) the roundness of window frames and set the value by itself without needing user to edit registry?

Sorry not to answer your questions. I probably overlooked them.

"Why there are no stripes when using Aero Peek"

Because they are managed by Uxtheme service so those stripes must be included in your theme. DWM (and my Aero Glass) draws stripes only on glass (blurred) areas.

"why does this program makes transparent even those visual styles which weren’t created for using with glass effects"

I don't understand this question much. There is no "theme for glass" and "theme not for glass", DWM just renders glass everywhere it is instructed regardless the used theme.

"why doesn’t this program automatically check (like Windows 7 DWM does) the roundness of window frames and set the value by itself without needing user to edit registry"

How could it detect whether your image contains round images? Or is there some theme flag which which I am not aware of?

I don't think I understand this. Do you mean that if I set that glassreflection key, it will display the reflection instead of the one specified in the theme over window frames?

Sorry not to answer your questions. I probably overlooked them.

Because they are managed by Uxtheme service so those stripes must be included in your theme. DWM (and my Aero Glass) draws stripes only on glass (blurred) areas.

Since there is practicaly no issues with the current RC3 release don't you think it's a good time for a v1.0 ?

In case of some instabilities found later you can always up the version number.

Don't let us wait for the infinity mate.

response to the post below:

D.a.m.n you nico84, you ruined everything :)

Edited by oomek

Because they are managed by Uxtheme service so those stripes must be included in your theme.

OK, gonna try editing the VS I’m using.

"why does this program makes transparent even those visual styles which weren’t created for using with glass effects"

I don't understand this question much. There is no "theme for glass" and "theme not for glass", DWM just renders glass everywhere it is instructed regardless the used theme.

For example, this VS: http://giro54.deviantart.com/art/Metro-Luna-319865527 . In Windows 7 when using this VS titlebar wouldn’t become transparent, but it would for VS like this: .

"why doesn’t this program automatically check (like Windows 7 DWM does) the roundness of window frames and set the value by itself without needing user to edit registry"

How could it detect whether your image contains round images? Or is there some theme flag which which I am not aware of?

It could check if there are transparent pixels. In Windows 7 DWM recognised squared and rounded visual styles automatically.

I’m not sure what did you mean by saying ‘theme flag’.

Edited by MainDeJustice

I have on my 32 bit Asus VIVO Tab mc400c some glitches with the RC3:

That's exactly the same problem I'm having! I reported it a few days ago on my ASUS VivoTab (even though I have a different model (TF810C), which is 32bit too).

Edited by MrPatko0770

Please, could you verify how your computer runs without Aero Glass for several days

TwoDaysWithoutAeroGlass.png

2 solid days hard use without even one single problem using this eye-straining desktop without Aero Glass for Win 8.1... No visual glitches, no lockups.

An additional thing I've noticed... Not once has Explorer popped up one of its dialogs behind other windows, which it often did before. That may be a timing issue.

-Noel

I give up with that new setting, I don't think it's possible to set the DWORD Hi and Lo value using vbscript in a HTA, please BM give the new setting it's own value TextGlowSize.

did bm ever respond to that?

i'm running the rc3 now, still not clear how to set that

I give up with that new setting, I don't think it's possible to set the DWORD Hi and Lo value using vbscript in a HTA, please BM give the new setting it's own value TextGlowSize.

did bm ever respond to that?

i'm running the rc3 now, still not clear how to set that

No there was no response, I will wait for the final version before I release any updates.

3 days no glitches, no lockups without Aero Glass for Win 8.1 (but plenty of eye strain). I'm starting to think you have a wild pointer or a buffer overflow or something that's corrupting memory, BigMuscle.

Up3Days.png

I haven't run any of the older betas lately, but I know I had run for 17 days straight without a visual glitch or lockup with whatever version was current on December 8th. I think the only thing that was happening back then was that I would occasionally see a DWM restart when the monitors were off. But it never caused any problems.

Do you have any piece of code that assumes a certain size/thickness for window borders? I ask because in one case the visual glitch looked like it was trying to make more of the title bar and side border thicker than it really is per my metrics settings (which make them thinner than default).

-Noel

Edited by NoelC