Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

Aero Glass for Win8.1 RTM RC3

UNSTABLE TESTING VERSION ONLY

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1038 replies to this topic

Hancoque

Hancoque

Junior

• Pip
  • 52 posts

RC1 and the versions before used a different loading/injection mechanism. Up to RC1 I had problems with black screens in conjunction with using Remote Desktop. Those problems are now gone in RC2. There is a reason why bigmuscle changed the mechanism, although it seems that taskbar blurring had to be sacrificed for more stability and security.

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

MrGRiM

MrGRiM

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 333 posts

Donator

Wrong, NoelC don't make me laugh, Taskbar blur worked fine with rc1 and most other versions before rc2. :boring:

rc2 is to benefit StartIsBack, All users who use rc2 and want Taskbar blur will need StartIsBack as well . :P

Please staff just ban this punk, he is just a little s*** who at every opportunity disrespects the developers and members of this site, he is a complete waste of space and a complete troll.

ace2

ace2

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 351 posts

Wrong, NoelC don't make me laugh, Taskbar blur worked fine with rc1 and most other versions before rc2. :boring:

rc2 is to benefit StartIsBack, All users who use rc2 and want Taskbar blur will need StartIsBack as well . :P

Please staff just ban this punk, he is just a little s*** who at every opportunity disrespects the developers and members of this site, he is a complete waste of space and a complete troll.

MrGRiM it look like you use every opportunity to disrespect me, MrGRiM you need to stop being so GRIM. ;)

bigmuscle

bigmuscle

Aero Glass for Win8 developer

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 964 posts

Wrong.  It blurs the Taskbar just fine if a 3rd party program sets the proper attribute in the Taskbar.

From what I gather, Windows (Explorer) itself stopped setting the attribute to blur the taskbar via the SetWindowCompositionAttribute API - probably because Microsoft figures there's no software any more in DWM to blur it. 

It looks to me that in the latest version BigMuscle's software doesn't forcibly override that by trying to magically detect which Window on the screen is the Taskbar.  Can't say I blame him.

That would be a nice option to have built right into Aero Glass for Win 8, but other software that's more aware of the Taskbar, such as StartIsBack or ClassicShell, can be set up to do the work.

-Noel

Yes, you are absolutely right except it's DwmEnableBlurBehindWindow API function to control blur effect and Windows 8 Explorer does not use it to enable blur behind taskbar anymore. Instead it uses SetWindowCompositionAttribute API function to enable accent on taskbar to have it semi-transparent.

Versions up to RC1 were injected into every running process (=incorrect behaviour) which allowed more control what each process does and taskbar blur was achieved just by ignoring what explorer.exe sets:

28	DEFINE_HOOK(BOOL, SetWindowCompositionAttribute, HWND hWnd, WINCOMPATTRDATA* winCompAttrData);
29	HOOK(BOOL, SetWindowCompositionAttribute, HWND hWnd, WINCOMPATTRDATA* winCompAttrData)
30	{
31	        if(isTaskBar(hWnd) && winCompAttrData->attribute == 0x13)       // do not allow setting accent on taskbar
32	        {
33	                return TRUE;
34	        }
36	        return __SetWindowCompositionAttribute(hWnd, winCompAttrData);
37	}
39	DEFINE_HOOK(HRESULT, DwmEnableBlurBehindWindow, HWND hWnd, _In_ const DWM_BLURBEHIND* pBlurBehind);
40	HOOK(HRESULT, DwmEnableBlurBehindWindow, HWND hWnd, _In_ const DWM_BLURBEHIND* pBlurBehind)
41	{
42	        if(isTaskBar(hWnd))
43	        {
44	                // enable blur behind taskbar
45	                DWM_BLURBEHIND blur = { 0 };
46	                blur.dwFlags = DWM_BB_ENABLE;
47	                blur.fEnable = TRUE;
48	                return __DwmEnableBlurBehindWindow(hWnd, &blur);
49	        }
51	        return __DwmEnableBlurBehindWindow(hWnd, pBlurBehind);
52	}

Now it injects into DWM only (= correct behaviour) so only rendering engine is controlled. There is absolutely no reason why DWM should change any window (including taskbar, alt-tab window etc.) attributes.

And one thing ... when ace2 likes installing additional software to bypass donation popupbox, console window etc, then he can install additional software to blur his taskbar  :whistle:

Edited by bigmuscle, 23 December 2013 - 09:29 AM.

Aero Glass for Win8.x --> http://www.glass8.eu

bigmuscle

bigmuscle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 964 posts

P.S. everyone can study this article to enable blur behind taskbar: http://msdn.microsof...7(v=vs.85).aspx

ace2

ace2

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 351 posts

And one thing ... when ace2 likes installing additional software to bypass donation popupbox, console window etc, then he can install additional software to blur his taskbar  :whistle:

Well said, you have made a fair point i will do just that. ;)

Tripredacus

Tripredacus

K-Mart-ian Legend

• Super Moderator
  • 9,706 posts

Donator

The forum staff shall ban users who break the forum rules. If there is indication that a user has violated a rule, report it or PM a moderator. You are not allowed to flame a user for any reason. :angry:

MSFN RULES | GimageX HTA for PE 3.x | lol probloms
msfn2_zpsc37c7153.jpg

ace2

ace2

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 351 posts

The forum staff shall ban users who break the forum rules. If there is indication that a user has violated a rule, report it or PM a moderator. You are not allowed to flame a user for any reason. :angry:

Thank you Tripredacus and well said. :thumbup

treeman1111

treeman1111
  • 2 posts

Thanks for the help with the glass reflection - I got it to work.

NoelC

NoelC

Software Engineer

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 880 posts

Yes, you are absolutely right except it's DwmEnableBlurBehindWindow API function to control blur effect and Windows 8 Explorer does not use it to enable blur behind taskbar anymore. Instead it uses SetWindowCompositionAttribute API function to enable accent on taskbar to have it semi-transparent.

Thanks for that correction.  I need to better keep my details straight.

-Noel

NoelC

NoelC

Software Engineer

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 880 posts

NoelC don't make me laugh

Is there something wrong with laughing?  'Tis the season to be merry after all!  :w00t:

Please allow me to suggest something, though...  Rather than write to others disrespectfully, try to make positive suggestions intended to help.  Such a suggestion might be worded something like "it would be really great if Aero Glass for Windows 8.1 would ultimately again allow the configuration of a Taskbar blurring override as an option." 

You have here, a very unique opportunity to help positively influence a very significant product.  We all see the value in it.  It may be that for reasons beyond your control the product won't be able to implement that feature, or maybe it must be delayed to a future release where the scope of the product is changed. 

I can assure you that insulting the people doing the work isn't making it more likely your suggestions will be taken seriously.

Fa la la la la!  Happy Holidays!

-Noel

ace2

ace2

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 351 posts

I can assure you that insulting the people doing the work isn't making it more likely your suggestions will be taken seriously.

Who have i insulted ? :unsure: 

Yes it would be really great if Aero Glass for Windows 8.1 would ultimately again allow the configuration of a Taskbar blurring override as an option :thumbup

MacSass

MacSass
  • 2 posts

WindowBlinds is 3rd party skinning engine which disables DWM rendering of window frames and completely replaces default Uxtheme engine - mostly uses GDI.

My Aero Glass is nothing more than reimplementation of code to blur glass areas during DWM rendering - uses Direct3D in Vista-Win8 and Direct2D in Win8.1.

The basic differences between rendering engines can be found e.g. here: http://msdn.microsof...0(v=vs.85).aspx

Thanks bigmuscle for clearing that up for me - so while WindowBlinds is working fine (without blur though) your solution should provide better performance as it does "not take over" the system that much, if I understand correctly.

Anyway - great two have even two options to getting that crappy look of Win 8.1 back to eye candy ..

Keep going - I keep watching and will make my decision when versions are final (WindowsBlinds currently does not have a full "like Win 7" aero theme as well).

Thanks again - Macsass

ace2

ace2

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 351 posts

When using rc2 DWMGlass.dll you can set Taskbar blur with

OpaqueTaskbar:
http://winaero.com/c...omment.news.199

OR

Taskbar Blur Toggle 0.2.0:
http://dblake1.devia...0-2-0-412358153

NoelC

NoelC

Software Engineer

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 880 posts

Who have i insulted ? :unsure: 

I was speaking generally, not specifically - sorry.  It's hard to have things come out as intended with this forum software fighting every step of the way (I still can't paste anything into it).

-Noel

truexfan81

truexfan81

Junior

• Pip
  • 92 posts

NoelC forum works perfectly fine in the firefox-nightly ;)

bigmuscle

bigmuscle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 964 posts

WindowBlinds is 3rd party skinning engine which disables DWM rendering of window frames and completely replaces default Uxtheme engine - mostly uses GDI.

My Aero Glass is nothing more than reimplementation of code to blur glass areas during DWM rendering - uses Direct3D in Vista-Win8 and Direct2D in Win8.1.

The basic differences between rendering engines can be found e.g. here: http://msdn.microsof...0(v=vs.85).aspx

Thanks bigmuscle for clearing that up for me - so while WindowBlinds is working fine (without blur though) your solution should provide better performance as it does "not take over" the system that much, if I understand correctly.

I cannot compare the performance because I don't have any real benchmarks.

The main difference should be the application compatibility. Since my Aero Glass is only extension to DWM then all applications (that work with DWM) will work with my Aero Glass too. But because WindowBlinds is complete skinning engine, you can't ensure the same compatibility as default Windows skinning engine.

bigmuscle

bigmuscle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 964 posts

Small X-Mas present to any fair donator. If you already reached your key limit, you can generate 3 additional keys for your need from 24.12. to 26.12.

bphlpt

bphlpt

MSFN Addict

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,796 posts

NoelC forum works perfectly fine in the firefox-nightly ;)

And in all versions of Chrome I have tried.  I assume you are having problems with IE11?  If you revert to IE10 do the problems continue?  Does IE11 have any feature that justifies needing it installed?  I have just heard about too many issues for me to use it yet.

Cheers and Regards

Posted Image

JayBee73

JayBee73

• 19 posts

To Bigmuscle:

I have purchase donation for the Windows 8 (version 1.2) Aero Glass, do I need to purchase another and obtain a key to use the 8.1 version?  I returned back to the original Windows 8, after some problems not pertaining to AG.

Thanks

MainDeJustice

MainDeJustice

• 27 posts

I know that this isn’t the best place to ask, but maybe someone will know what to do, because my problem is related to Windows skinning too.

Look at the screenshot (pay attention at names of groups being behind the tiles): z4hi.png

So here’s the glitch. This happens when I use any custom VS (only 1 custom VS doesn’t do this: http://fav.me/d6uewnk). Maybe someone is getting the same problem too? Maybe most of you use StartIsBack and it fixes this (likes it does with Jumplists), so you didn’t even notice?

This isn’t caused by Aero Glass.

Edited by MainDeJustice, 24 December 2013 - 09:04 AM.

BH

kienvip

kienvip
  • 1 posts

i am using version 1.2 for windows 8. but the task bar is not blur, how to fix this? 

NoelC

NoelC

Software Engineer

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 880 posts

I'm using IE11.  I choose to use IE because of its security model and version 11 because that's what came with Windows 8.1.  People dis IE, but it has its merits. I haven't run across the option to drop down to IE10 on Windows 8.1, though I'm not saying it's not possible.  But I don't have a lot of reason to do so; I'm on a lot of forums and this is the only one I can't paste text into.  Perhaps the folks that run this forum are doing it as a protest against Microsoft or something.

But to keep on-topic here, I just wanted to mention to BigMuscle that after 3 days straight running with Catalyst 13.12 drivers I finally did see a DWM self-restart.  As before, it's completely harmless (happening when the system is left idle and monitors in screen save power down).  It leaves nothing unexpected in the debug.log.  Once AGForW8 is released without the console window I'll never notice it happening.

-Noel

Edited by NoelC, 24 December 2013 - 09:15 AM.

Hancoque

Hancoque

Junior

• Pip
  • 52 posts
NoelC: IE has compatibility modes for the past versions. Press F12 and choose emulation. If it works in a native IE 10, it should also work in the emulated IE 10 mode.

Edited by Hancoque, 24 December 2013 - 09:27 AM.

SeNS

SeNS

• 17 posts

Hey, bigmuscle, can we expect a New Year gift from you (I mean, the official release)  :sneaky: ?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

How to remove advertisement from MSFN