Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

Boot XP from 32MB ssd and big IDE drive

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

jaclaz

jaclaz

The Finder

• Developers
  • 13,445 posts

Personally, I would use Linux instead of Windows XP. It should install and run just fine with no tricks needed.

Good :), personally , I would use QNX or BSD, what gives?  :unsure:

The problem here is seemingly that the BIOS "as is" does NOT boot from the bigger than 32 Gb "standard" hard disk, it is not that Linux (or any other OS) has an ESP DDO working around the issue, AFAIK.

If you prefer a DDO is OS agnostic.
As cdob verified if you manage - one way or the other - to initiate the boot from *something* else, a "protected mode" OS loads alright.

jaclaz

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

pcalvert

pcalvert

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 121 posts

The problem here is seemingly that the BIOS "as is" does NOT boot from the bigger than 32 Gb "standard" hard disk, it is not that Linux (or any other OS) has an ESP DDO working around the issue, AFAIK.

Actually, under the scenario he specifically asked about -- booting from a 32 MB "SSD" -- Linux should work fine. However, I would use a larger flash drive -- at least 64 MB, but preferably 128 MB. I would format it as ext2 and use it as the boot partition. Everything else can go on the big IDE HDD.

Phil

jaclaz

jaclaz

The Finder

• Developers
  • 13,445 posts

Actually, under the scenario he specifically asked about -- booting from a 32 MB "SSD" -- Linux should work fine. However, I would use a larger flash drive -- at least 64 MB, but preferably 128 MB. I would format it as ext2 and use it as the boot partition. Everything else can go on the big IDE HDD.

And so should  "in theory" the XP (with or without Kansas City Shuffle is to be determined) or any other "non -real mode" OS, as long as you manage to NOT use BIOS to access the hard disk and "jump" to protected mode (and dedicated OS drivers).
Please consider how we don't have any actual results from tests on the specific machines, but only the results of cdob's nice experiments with "comparable" but not "same" motherboards.

Another interesting approach would be to use KEXEC (or similar) to pre-boot in Linux and then switch to XP (though I am afraid you have to "go through" grub4dos or similar and that would vanify the whole thing :unsure:) or try kexec-loader:

http://www.solemnwar...t/kexec-loader/

(this should allow to stay within the 32 Mb DOM alright, if the "switch" to Linux is decided)

There are a lot of possibilities or experiments to carry and seemingly so little time....

jaclaz 

cdob

cdob

Friend of MSFN

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 952 posts

The DDO partition type 0x54 HDD connected at another XP machine with a IDE USB adapter.
XP does mount the HDD, a virtual HDD is attached.
The entire disk is shifted by 63 sectors and the first 63 sectors are hidden:
The virtual HDD \\.\PhysicalDriveN sector 0 maps to real HDD sector 63
The partitions are mounted.

Another hint http://reboot.pro/to...m-a-bootloader/

New game 3, HDD manufacturer independent approach:

HDD sector 0 cleared.
The truncated 32 GB HDD connected as primary master.
XP installed to a 8 GB partition.

A floppy image created, grub4dos included to boot code.
a:\grldr added and a:\menu.lst

title (hd0,0)/ntldr
chainloader (hd0,0)/ntldr

Seagate "DiscWizard Starter Edition 10" booted and a rescue DDO floppy created.
Keep a Seagate HDD nearby, dosn't has to be connected...
The existing bootsector is remapped and used later.

Grub4dos added to HDD and menu.lst

title load DDO
 map --mem /ddo.img (fd0)
 map --hook
 chainloader (fd0)+1
 rootnoverify (fd0)

The machine does boot
Grub4dos loads the DDO from the floppy image.
Next the DDO chainloads pervious boot sector code: grub4dos inside floppy image, this chainloads HDD ntldr
XP does boot, the whole 40 GB HDD is available

Further step:
You may replace grub4dos inside floppy image, use a:\ntldr and a:\boot.ini instead.

Added: include ntdetect.com and adjust pervious boot sector code too.

Yes, it works.

Edited by cdob, 01 September 2013 - 03:47 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

How to remove advertisement from MSFN