Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

Clean Alt-Tab for Win8: desktop item and thumbnails removed

• Please log in to reply
55 replies to this topic

NoelC

NoelC

Software Engineer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,015 posts

To expand on the above a bit...

There are things that are scheduled and are getting run from time to time that aren't specifically set to run on a given time.  Example:  In the "\Microsoft\Windows\Diagnosis" section, there's a task called "Scheduled" that really isn't (scheduled).  It ran for me on the 5th successfully at 11:41:31 pm, but isn't set to run again on a time schedule.

And there's a "Data Integrity Scan" in the "\Microsoft\Windows\Data Integrity Scan" section that's scheduled to run on 6/17/2014 at 10:32:58 AM and it's Disabled.  I didn't disable it, and somehow I expect it will actually run.

There's altogether too much magic and hidden crap shipped in these systems any more.  :thumbdown

-Noel

Edited by NoelC, 10 June 2014 - 01:27 PM.

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

NoelC

NoelC

Software Engineer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,015 posts

I've found a "Regular Maintenance" task in the "\Microsoft\Windows\TaskScheduler" section which has a "Custom Handler" as an action that can't actually be seen / edited in the Task Scheduler.  Lovely.  This one may be the parent of many of the others.  It's set to run every night at 11pm.

-Noel

shae

shae

• PipPip
  • 259 posts

Thanks for the research. Yeah, I recall the Scheduler was full of opaque Custom Handlers. I wonder if there's a utility somewhere to show more meaningful information.

DoopaDoop

DoopaDoop
  • 9 posts

For some reason this recently stopped working for me. I went through the installation again and it didn't work. Is there another AltTab.dll hiding somewhere? When I rename it to something else, with no AltTab.dll file, it goes back to icons with extra stuff like Search Pane, I think there's a registry setting somwhere that flipped to Classic View or something. When I put the new AltTab.dll in system32, it goes back to thumbnails. Any ideas? I'm on Win 8.1 Pro.

shae

shae

• PipPip
  • 259 posts

Are you still on the 32-bit version of Windows? (And why, actually?) If so, maybe the Windows 8.0 DLL just isn't compatible and gets reverted automatically to the stock one. AltTab.dll changed both in 8.1 and then in 8.1.1. Did it ever work for you on 8.1/8.1.1 using the 8.0 DLL?

DoopaDoop

DoopaDoop
  • 9 posts

Nope, 64-bit 8.1, I'm not entirely sure how to tell if I'm running 8.1.1 but my computer tells me it's 8.1. I've tried the 8.1 and the 8.1.1 DLL. I'm pretty sure it worked a couple months ago when I installed it, but now it doesn't.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

How to remove advertisement from MSFN