Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

Clean Alt-Tab for Win8: desktop item and thumbnails removed

• Please log in to reply
70 replies to this topic

NoelC

NoelC

Software Engineer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,079 posts
  • Joined 08-April 13

To expand on the above a bit...

There are things that are scheduled and are getting run from time to time that aren't specifically set to run on a given time.  Example:  In the "\Microsoft\Windows\Diagnosis" section, there's a task called "Scheduled" that really isn't (scheduled).  It ran for me on the 5th successfully at 11:41:31 pm, but isn't set to run again on a time schedule.

And there's a "Data Integrity Scan" in the "\Microsoft\Windows\Data Integrity Scan" section that's scheduled to run on 6/17/2014 at 10:32:58 AM and it's Disabled.  I didn't disable it, and somehow I expect it will actually run.

There's altogether too much magic and hidden crap shipped in these systems any more.  :thumbdown

-Noel

Edited by NoelC, 10 June 2014 - 01:27 PM.

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

NoelC

NoelC

Software Engineer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,079 posts
  • Joined 08-April 13

I've found a "Regular Maintenance" task in the "\Microsoft\Windows\TaskScheduler" section which has a "Custom Handler" as an action that can't actually be seen / edited in the Task Scheduler.  Lovely.  This one may be the parent of many of the others.  It's set to run every night at 11pm.

-Noel

shae

shae

• PipPip
  • 272 posts
  • Joined 06-July 08

Thanks for the research. Yeah, I recall the Scheduler was full of opaque Custom Handlers. I wonder if there's a utility somewhere to show more meaningful information.

DoopaDoop

DoopaDoop

• 16 posts
  • Joined 10-September 13

For some reason this recently stopped working for me. I went through the installation again and it didn't work. Is there another AltTab.dll hiding somewhere? When I rename it to something else, with no AltTab.dll file, it goes back to icons with extra stuff like Search Pane, I think there's a registry setting somwhere that flipped to Classic View or something. When I put the new AltTab.dll in system32, it goes back to thumbnails. Any ideas? I'm on Win 8.1 Pro.

shae

shae

• PipPip
  • 272 posts
  • Joined 06-July 08

Are you still on the 32-bit version of Windows? (And why, actually?) If so, maybe the Windows 8.0 DLL just isn't compatible and gets reverted automatically to the stock one. AltTab.dll changed both in 8.1 and then in 8.1.1. Did it ever work for you on 8.1/8.1.1 using the 8.0 DLL?

DoopaDoop

DoopaDoop

• 16 posts
  • Joined 10-September 13

Nope, 64-bit 8.1, I'm not entirely sure how to tell if I'm running 8.1.1 but my computer tells me it's 8.1. I've tried the 8.1 and the 8.1.1 DLL. I'm pretty sure it worked a couple months ago when I installed it, but now it doesn't.

DosProbie

DosProbie

Friend of MSFN

• MSFN Sponsor
  • 739 posts
  • Joined 16-October 12

Donator

Nope, 64-bit 8.1, I'm not entirely sure how to tell if I'm running 8.1.1 but my computer tells me it's 8.1. I've tried the 8.1 and the 8.1.1 DLL. I'm pretty sure it worked a couple months ago when I installed it, but now it doesn't.

You can go to your "Programs and Features" then "View installed updates" and look for the following:
Spring
KB2919442 – Windows 8.1 Update prerequisite
KB2919355 – Windows 8.1 Update
Summer
Windows8.1-KB2975719 August patch
Windows8.1-KB2990532

or just print list to your desktop with wmic
wmic qfe list full /format:htable > hotfixes.htm

~DP

shae

shae

• PipPip
  • 272 posts
  • Joined 06-July 08

Did you use setup.wsf in the version for 8.1.1? It checks that the existing AltTab.dll is the 8.1.1 version, and it can both install and uninstall so you can use that to know if the AltTab.dll you currently have is the original or modified.

DoopaDoop

DoopaDoop

• 16 posts
  • Joined 10-September 13

I have both of the Spring updates and neither of the Summer ones. I just ran the installer again and it hasn't helped.

shae

shae

• PipPip
  • 272 posts
  • Joined 06-July 08

If you run setup.wsf again after finishing the installation, does it ask about installing again or about uninstalling?

DoopaDoop

DoopaDoop

• 16 posts
  • Joined 10-September 13

Uninstalling

shae

shae

• PipPip
  • 272 posts
  • Joined 06-July 08

Well, that's mysterious. When did it stop working? Was it after a change in Windows or other software? How did you change Windows from 32-bit to 64-bit?

And, anyone else having it work fine under 8.1.1 before/after the August updates?

Edited by shae, 10 September 2014 - 07:34 AM.

DoopaDoop

DoopaDoop

• 16 posts
  • Joined 10-September 13

It's a different computer. Turns out it happened after I installed http://www.actualtoo...ltiplemonitors/. Killing the program didn't fix it, but uninstalling it just now did. If only there was a way to get them to co-exist... :(

shae

shae

• PipPip
  • 272 posts
  • Joined 06-July 08

I wonder how that software ends up "retaining" the original AltTab.

BTW, what functionality in it do use? Win8's supposedly has better multi-monitor support than Win7. Though it still seems a bit dodgy to me.

DoopaDoop

DoopaDoop

• 16 posts
  • Joined 10-September 13

Oh hey, I guess it is better than Win7's. I was using it at work on Win7 and just installed it at home because it's awesome. Win8 apparently can have taskbars on each monitor, and you can customize the buttons to only show on the monitor with the window on it. (It's buggy though, the button for Actual Multiple Monitors settings won't move for some reason.) With AMM I can stick the Quick Launch bar and the system tray on both taskbars. I can add buttons to the top right of windows (the only one I add moves the window to the other monitor). It will start programs on the screen with the mouse on it. You can set up all kinds of keyboard shortcuts, the only one I have set flips my mouse to the other screen (I could of course do that with AutoHotkey). There's other cool stuff like mirroring windows on the other display, and little tweaks like holding down modifiers to make the whole window responsive to click and drag. Navigating the settings menu isn't intuitive, though, it's easy to miss whole sections.

Most importantly for this issue, it can mirror the AltTab display across both screens. Right now having all these other features is more important to me than not having window previews in AltTab, so I'll deal with it :/

Edited by DoopaDoop, 13 September 2014 - 07:09 PM.

shae

shae

• PipPip
  • 272 posts
  • Joined 06-July 08

Maybe this program keeps a copy of AltTab.dll in its directory, or uses the one in the WinSxS folder?

You can use Process Explorer. Hit Ctrl+F and search for "alttab". Another option is doing a global file search for AltTab.dll. The WinSxS one should be in (but keep a copy of the original for future SFC/DISM usage): C:\windows\winsxs\amd64_microsoft-windows-alttab_31bf3856ad364e35_6.3.9600.17031_none_59cea49792e2c928

DoopaDoop

DoopaDoop

• 16 posts
  • Joined 10-September 13

I replaced the WinSxS one too, and it didn't fix it. When I turn off the program now it reverts to normal, I think the default one is running behind it actually, and just gets covered up by AMM's.

Process explorer finds the default one as well as a <Non-existent Process> with the same PID, Type is Mutant and Name is \Sessions\3\BaseNamedObjects\ALTTAB_RUNNING_MUTEX

I think I'll open a ticket with AMM

shae

shae

• PipPip
  • 272 posts
  • Joined 06-July 08

Try running ProcExp as Administrator (there's also such an option in ProcExp's File menu). The interesting results are those with type "DLL".

DoopaDoop

DoopaDoop

• 16 posts
  • Joined 10-September 13

Fixed in latest version: http://www.actualtoo...FID=10&TID=3244

DoopaDoop

DoopaDoop

• 16 posts
  • Joined 10-September 13

Except... Now AltTab doesn't include the windows on my second monitor :(

shae

shae

• PipPip
  • 272 posts
  • Joined 06-July 08

So they made a full alternative that looks the same as the stock Windows switcher?

What do you mean, the switcher shows on each monitor only the windows from that monitor? If it mirrors what each taskbar shows, perhaps you can configure that in: Taskbar Properties \ Multiple Displays.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

1 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

shae

How to remove advertisement from MSFN