Win98 from CD loads config from HD installed Windows

Telop

Guess you must have missed the preceding Post Links? :unsure:

http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/140391-windows-98-live-cd-project-update/

Requirements:
-Windows 98 Second Edition CDROM
-Computer with Windows XP, 2K3, vista or Win7
-Virtual PC or VMWare for test your ISO (optional)
WinBuilder Projects inevitably require minimum XP. ;)

> I gave it a go on Win 98Se with KernelEx and the result is build failure.

KernelEx told it you were running it on Windows 2000.

Do one of these:

1) uninstall KernelEx

or

2) In %windir%\KernelEx\CORE.INI, set [ApiConfigurations] default=2

then reboot and try again.

Guess you must have missed the preceding Post Links? :unsure:

http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/140391-windows-98-live-cd-project-update/

Requirements:

-Windows 98 Second Edition CDROM

-Computer with Windows XP, 2K3, vista or Win7

-Virtual PC or VMWare for test your ISO (optional)

BeatZero also posted a screenshot of Winbuilder successfully compiling it on Windows 98. Winbuilder does work on Win98, I have successfully built other projects on Win 98. The problem is not with Winbuilder but with the 3rd party helper tool which builds the 15mb super floppy image vdk.exe.

> I gave it a go on Win 98Se with KernelEx and the result is build failure.

KernelEx told it you were running it on Windows 2000.

Do one of these:

1) uninstall KernelEx

or

2) In %windir%\KernelEx\CORE.INI, set [ApiConfigurations] default=2

then reboot and try again.

Excellent! I was looking for a way to disable KernelEx by default for other purposes.

"CORE.INI [ApiConfigurations] default=2" doesn't disable KernelEx, but sets the default to Win98+enhancements.

Set this registry value to disable KernelEx by default on apps not explicitly set to another mode:

Kex+.reg------------REGEDIT4[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\KernelEx]"DisableExtensions"=dword:00000001

And to enable:

Kex-.reg------------REGEDIT4[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\KernelEx]"DisableExtensions"=dword:00000000
Edited by jumper

"CORE.INI [ApiConfigurations] default=2" doesn't disable KernelEx, but sets the default to Win98+enhancements.

Set this registry value to disable KernelEx by default on apps not explicitly set to another mode:

Kex+.reg------------REGEDIT4[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\KernelEx]"DisableExtensions"=dword:00000001
And to enable:

Kex-.reg------------REGEDIT4[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\KernelEx]"DisableExtensions"=dword:00000000

Thanks for the info. KernelEx could do with them in 2 reg files included in the install folder so people can change it's default setting nice and easily.

NO, not really.

The specific project should include an oldish version of Winbuilder that does run under Windows 9x.

http://reboot.pro/topic/10373-winbuilder-running-on-windows-98/

The point here is that there are at least three versions of the project more likely 4 or 5, one (simple) that worked (and worked from within Win98) a second one (that presumably I posted) which is still "simple enough" and working (but that does not from under 9x/Me) and a third - and a fourth one that were released after Beatzero was affected by "featuritis" and are overcomplex and do not work (not even on XP and similar).

Originally, I suggested him NOT the use of either IMDISK or VDK, but rather that of other tools compatible with Windows 98:

http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/140391-windows-98-live-cd-project-update/?p=908112

To have it working on Windows 98 one has probably to use the "simpler" approach, but replace the VDK with one of the tools later used or fix the whatever is causing the issue with the build on the later version.

There must be a "working" version (actually two) early 2010, but they are not on the server nor on the Wayback Machine.

It is a MESS. :(

It is well possible that the one I posted is not the "right" one, intially Beatzero used a version number, then suddenly removed it so it is difficult to keep track of the versions.

I have posted a version where filedates inside the 7z are 2009-12-23.

The one at http://win98livecd.winbuilder.net/index.php?dir=compressed%2F is seemingly dated 2011-08-13 but files inside the archive have date 2010-02-14.

I have a Win98LiveCDBuilder_109.7z with date inside 2010-01-15.

jaclaz

re: zshares link

Unable to connect

Firefox can't establish a connection to the server at www3.zshare.ma.

The site could be temporarily unavailable or too busy. Try again in a few

moments.

If you are unable to load any pages, check your computer's network

connection.

If your computer or network is protected by a firewall or proxy, make sure

that Firefox is permitted to access the Web.

Dang it! (got the other two linked above - both say v1.06/same date?)

Is it, perchance, this one? dubbio.gif

Thanks for the uploads. :)

Looking inside the archive I can see it is dated 2010-01-06. I think it must be the last version which uses vdk.exe to build a 15mb super floppy. The version 2010-02-14 uses instead bfi.exe to build a 1.44mb bootable floppy image and bfi.exe is W98 compatible and I'm guessing its version 109 (2010-01-15) that is the first to use bfi.exe and the one that is supposed to work "Out of the box", without having to modifiy the build scripts.