Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

Win98 from CD loads config from HD installed Windows

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

dencorso

dencorso

Iuvat plus qui nihil obstat

• Supervisor
  • 6,026 posts
  • Joined 07-April 07

Donator

Try again... zshares is back on. And get the one I uploaded, too, because Filedropper is notorious for keeping files with few downloads for a very short time... :yes:

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

submix8c

submix8c

Inconceivable!

• Patrons
  • 4,385 posts
  • Joined 14-September 05

Post#21/#24 obtained previously. Zshare still fails... :no:

Someday the tyrants will be unthroned... Jason "Jay" Chasteen; RIP, bro!

Posted Image

dencorso

dencorso

• Supervisor
  • 6,026 posts
  • Joined 07-April 07

Donator

Yes please, if you could upload the last working version that would be great! :)

Here :):
http://www2.zshares.net/jna09jvhxiwl

Now it's here, too. :)

BTW, the Win98LiveCDBuilder_109.7z with date inside 2010-01-15, mentioned by jaclaz, I don't have in my archives.

StartButton

StartButton
  • 7 posts
  • Joined 12-February 14

Is it, perchance, this one?   dubbio.gif

Thanks for the uploads. :)
Looking inside the archive I can see it is dated 2010-01-06. I think it must be the last version which uses vdk.exe to build a 15mb super floppy. The version 2010-02-14 uses instead bfi.exe to build a 1.44mb bootable floppy image and bfi.exe is W98 compatible and I'm guessing its version 109 (2010-01-15) that is the first to use bfi.exe and the one that is supposed to work "Out of the box", without having to modifiy the build scripts.

jaclaz

jaclaz

The Finder

• Developer
  • 14,677 posts
  • Joined 23-July 04

This is the one I have:

http://www.filedropp...ivecdbuilder109

It would be a good thing if we could (all of us) MD5 hash the files we have an decide on a sensible naming convention.

jaclaz

submix8c

submix8c

Inconceivable!

• Patrons
  • 4,385 posts
  • Joined 14-September 05

Apparently "Version=" has absolutely no meaning under the circumstances (script.project)? :unsure: (Managed to get all 4 of them.)

Posted Image

jaclaz

jaclaz

The Finder

• Developer
  • 14,677 posts
  • Joined 23-July 04

Apparently "Version=" has absolutely no meaning under the circumstances (script.project)? :unsure: (Managed to get all 4 of them.)

It may have some meaning, as well there may be n versions (possibly Beta's or modified by someone else) with the same file name.

Since a lot of people may have two or more similar BUT different versions, they might have modified the original filename to better distinguish them (or to avoid a new version overwriting the old one, or whatever).

And of course "all 4 of them" since we are talking of a trilogy of five (maybe 6 or more) is a bit "vague" :whistle:.

jaclaz

submix8c

submix8c

Inconceivable!

• Patrons
  • 4,385 posts
  • Joined 14-September 05

Weeellll - those that I "found" on this Topic (AFAICT, but probably not). Don't those scripts "modify" if you select a different option within it? (BTW, I've not "tested" -or- "run" any of the "4" yet.)

To verify those "found" would be to content compare and "hope for the best" for which came first (if it mattered). The "versions" and "count of versions" is getting a bit messy. A -functional- set (one for Win9x, one for WinXP+) would be (IMHO) ideal as a starting point, however at this point it's unknown if at any given time something got "broken" during the course of "fixing". Those dates that have been mentioned are pointless (to me) unless they can identify -why- they are dated as such, since using any of those "services" (for me, anyway) preclude downloading as-is (e.g. date of 7z) with (for example) wget/flashget/etc.

Posted Image

dencorso

dencorso

• Supervisor
  • 6,026 posts
  • Joined 07-April 07

Donator

But the internal dates are preserved in the .zip/.cab/.7z/.rar files, so that, provided they were packed shortly after version creation, the most recent date of all the internal files should be our best guess to the date of the whole package, which cannot possibly, at any rate, have been created before that date. But, of course, it's just an estimate. And mentions to specific files in the original release thread may also help dating things.

So, let me be the one to start the systematic identification, as requested by jaclaz:

The package I uploaded is named: Win98LiveCDBuilder_108.7z and it is 25,359,928 bytes long.

The latest internal date in it, which appears in multiple places, is 2010-jan-06 or, as a string, 20100106.

Its hashes are:

CRC32: 10A9F9E3
MD5: 10F326B03DF2C4108386E8880FA42562
SHA-1: 169BF6380F06FF461092CDC3B3C55F03E34CDA28
SHA-256: CF67E4776115F1FAA7562AF20AC04C65019141BB2970749DE040162E285CFF4F

os2fan2

os2fan2

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 421 posts
  • Joined 09-September 04

Boot to dos, and then run setup with parameters.  You can tell it to read a setup.inf file from the c:\ drive or from a floppy.  That's how i normally install it.

jaclaz

jaclaz

The Finder

• Developer
  • 14,677 posts
  • Joined 23-July 04

Boot to dos, and then run setup with parameters.  You can tell it to read a setup.inf file from the c:\ drive or from a floppy.  That's how i normally install it.

You normally install Windows 98 to CD? :w00t:

Though the title is NOT clear and StartButton revived this otherwise deemed into oblivion thread, the matter at hand is related to this:

http://www.msfn.org/...project-update/

one of the possible ways to build a windows 98 "Live CD".

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz, 23 February 2014 - 08:28 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users