nuhi is back, post your suggestions here

nuhi

I don't think I ever used the translation while running the program. I also PM'd Spoiled Brat who encountered the problem I describe. He even adds "Security Center" to the list of components who will be "ignored for removal" by nLite if not present at start. Unfortunately, the forum's "make over" ate his ini file.

One more here, with ini file and more components.

Edited by Ponch

First off, wow, great to see nuhi back! I haven't visited this forum in years, but had to log-in just to offer my warm greetings.

Second, my current 'main' XP installation is still going strong five years or so after being prepared by nLite - I believe this is testament to the quality of nuhi's superb programme.

Anyway, I recently upgraded my internet connection, with the new provided utilising PPPoE. Unfortunately, my current XP setup had stripped the components required for this functionality away. So I spent a little while working with VirtualBox and nLite, creating a new XP installation that was as light as possible but retained PPPoE support. I re-nLited the same distribution over and over, gradually removing components until I was left with just 'Dial Up Networking' and 'Kerberos Authentication'. While repetitive, the trial-and-error detective work felt rather nostalgic, and reminded me of similar processes I had been through five or so years ago in preparing my - then - 'ultimate' lightweight XP setup.

In the end, rather than reinstall XP keeping the required components, I decided to just pick-up an inexpensive router and use this for handling PPPoE connectivity. However, following nuhi's return, I'm planning to prepare a 'new' up-to-date XP installation in the new future (just need to find an up-to-date alternative to RyanVM's post SP3 update pack), and will of course update my signature accordingly!

I'm of course also looking forward to nuhi's future projects - especially if they allow Windows 7/8 to be stripped-down in a similarly intuitive manner as nLite.

So, once again welcome back nuhi, however I'm sure I'm not the only person who is rather curious as to where you've been for the past few years!

Cheers,

James

x

Edited by jmbattle

Hi nuhi,

great to see you back :)

These are my requests:

--> Even if you only select driver integration and ISO creation... there are always some helper files that have no relation to driver integration added and other files modified.

--> When a driver has been added, there is a huge delay on the first hardware install after Windows setup has been finished. It seems like some internal driver database is rebuilding. This is easily reproduceable, just plug in a USB thumbdrive after setup. It needs minutes to show up.

Maybe you could have a look at this...

Thank you very much for your great work!

Edited by dadaniel

Awesome to see this, Love nLite and vLite<3

Maybe already someone told this, but if you choose Remove, Components

Then Remove "Languages"

"Western Europe and United States"

Are still There next time you start nLite =).

please post your last session here.

thank you

Edited by boooggy

Hi, when i use nlite it doesnt want to remove keyboard files and language bar disappears. Is it a bug or not?

Also about vlite, can you tell me what i need to keep for tts reader to work (when i remove narrator and speech support it doesnt work. Can you make in next version separate options for removing speech recognition and tts reader)?

Hi, when i use nlite it doesnt want to remove keyboard files and language bar disappears. Is it a bug or not?

Also about vlite, can you tell me what i need to keep for tts reader to work (when i remove narrator and speech support it doesnt work. Can you make in next version separate options for removing speech recognition and tts reader)?

Here is a potential thing to add to nLite for Windows XP. "Fix svchost.exe 'memory could not be read' error on shutdown".

There is a common error related to svchost.exe that occurs on stripped versions of Windows XP in which services have been tweaked/disabled. The error on shutdown (only appears sometimes) is:

svchost.exe - Application ErrorThe instruction at "0x7c92dd29" referenced memory at "0x00000008". The memory could not be "read".ORsvchost.exe - Application ErrorThe instruction at "0x7c92c288" referenced memory at "0x00000008". The memory could not be "read".
The problem is that Windows has used an update pack that included a non-official "QFE" branch of KB971657 which updates wkssvc.dll to a buggy QFE edition. The fix is to downgrade wkssvc.dll back to the stable GDR version.

Attention! Updating information.

Issued 11.08.2009 Security Update KB971657, when installed on the QFE branch, causes an error when you restart the svchost.exe. GDR branch of the hotfix, the test results are not affected by the problem. For those who are in the tank - hot fixes for XP, as a rule, contain two versions of one and the same file.

If you have after installing KB971657 discussed error occurred, check the full version of the file wkssvc.dll in System32, as described in this post, and if it turns 5.1 .2600.5826 (xpsp_sp3_ qfe .090609-1445), replacements , and those files GDR option

The fix first found found by os-zone here1 and here2 and full thread and ru-board here but translated and simplified by Sergey Kireev here. Just need to extract WindowsXP-KB971657-x86-ENU.exe with the "/x" switch and then replace wkssvc.dll with the file from the SP3 GDR branch:

_http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/d427ca47-869c-4c6b-b151-7ad60482c68d/svchost-error-at-shutdown1. Download the KB971657 hotfix:_http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=9c0e5bff-c248-4e87-a83b-82ba52f5299d&displaylang=en2. Extract the content of the WindowsXP-KB971657-x86-ENU.exe to the temp folder:WindowsXP-KB971657-x86-ENU.exe /xThis hotfix includes 4 versions of the same file  http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/971657For all supported x86-based versions of Windows XPFile version File size Date Time Platform SP requirement Service branch Wkssvc.dll 5.1.2600.3584 132,096 10-Jun-2009 06:32 x86 SP2 SP2GDR Wkssvc.dll 5.1.2600.3584 134,144 10-Jun-2009 06:26 x86 SP2 SP2QFE Wkssvc.dll 5.1.2600.5826 132,096 10-Jun-2009 06:14 x86 SP3 SP3GDR Wkssvc.dll 5.1.2600.5826 134,144 10-Jun-2009 06:17 x86 SP3 SP3QFE 3. Replace your buggy QFE edition of C:\windows\system32\wkssvc.dll with the stable file from GDR subfolderFor example:C:\WindowsXP-KB971657-x86-ENU\SP3GDR\wkssvc.dll for SP3 image
NOTE: You can check which version of the file you have as shown in the following images. The QFE version is buggy. The GDR version is good.

qr5.gifzuk.gif

Edited by robertcollier4