nuhi is back, post your suggestions here

nuhi

Well, hi :)

So I am back, in other words free to work on nLite again. I am willing to consider updating it if you guys have some serious requests, be it fixes or missing functionality over the years.
For now there is no plan to update vLite, I am working on something else which will cover that area. The release date is not yet known, it is safe to say it can be counted in months, not years.

Fire away, if there is anyone left :)

Welcome back! :thumbup

Here goes...

Bugs/Limitations of nLite

1. nLite bug when slipstreaming Windows?-WindowsMedia-KBxxxxxx

Can we have it detect when we are using WMP9, 10 or 11 and use the appropriate files or maybe an option to pick which version WMP you are using then nLite will follow suit.

Here's one with all kinds of folders.

kZnNRbr.png

2. nLite bug with KB977816 and KB2115168 Just have it version check .ax files and the problem is gone.

3. KB2509553 has system.adm. A file used for group policy. XP Home does not come with group policy so nLite uses the /integrate switch on that update.

I don't know if this one is possible. If so, we wont have to worry about sort order regardless of it being XP Home.

4. KB975254 This update needs a file renamed. Don't know if you're will to tackle this one but I'm telling you about it anyways. I have to make and add-on for it with an entries.ini shown below. Would be nice if it supported direct integration. This updates FTP Service in Internet Information Services which is something you have to intentionally install with Add/Remove Windows Components.

#############################################################################################################################                                                                                                                 ########  KB975254 - Vulnerabilities in FTP Service for Internet Information Services Could Allow Remote Code Execution  ########                                                                                                                 #############################################################################################################################; This update can not be directly integrated with nLite; due to a filename difference in i386 and the; updated file. The filename in the update is ftpsvc2.dll; but the filename in i386 is ftpsv251.dll. This file is; not part of an XP install but is installed if you add; IIS FTP Service via Add/Remove Windows Components. [general]builddate=2009/10/13description=Security Updatelanguage=Englishtitle=KB975254version:website=http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=975254[dosnet_files]d1,ftpsv251.dll[registry_addreg]HKLM,SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Hotfix\KB975254,"Installed",0x10001,1HKLM,SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Hotfix\KB975254,"Comments",0,"Security Update for Windows XP (KB975254)"HKLM,SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Hotfix\KB975254,"Backup Dir",0,""HKLM,SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Hotfix\KB975254,"Fix Description",0,"Security Update for Windows XP (KB975254)"HKLM,SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Hotfix\KB975254,"Installed By",0,""HKLM,SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Hotfix\KB975254,"Installed On",0,""HKLM,SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Hotfix\KB975254,"Service Pack",0x10001,"4"HKLM,SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Hotfix\KB975254,"Valid",0x10001,1HKLM,SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Hotfix\KB975254\File 1\,"Flags",0,""HKLM,SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Hotfix\KB975254\File 1\,"New File",0,""HKLM,SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Hotfix\KB975254\File 1\,"New Link Date",0,""HKLM,SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Hotfix\KB975254\File 1\,"Old Link Date",0,""HKLM,SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Updates\Windows XP\SP4\KB975254,"Description",,"Security Update for Windows XP (KB975254)"HKLM,SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Updates\Windows XP\SP4\KB975254

5. Vulnerabilities in Windows Kernel-Mode Drivers Could Allow Remote Code Execution. Currently KB2850851 but changes just about every month. File: win32k.sys.

This update has a registry entry at the bottom of update_SP3QFE.inf that nLite doesn't add.

[save.Reg.For.Uninstall] section...

[Save.Reg.For.Uninstall]    HKLM, "SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management", "SessionImageSize"    HKLM,"SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Setup","LogLevel"    HKLM,SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Hotfix\%SP_SHORT_TITLE%    HKLM,SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Updates\Windows XP\SP%SERVICE_PACK_NUMBER%\%SP_SHORT_TITLE%

Missed section way at the bottom...

[win32k.Add.Reg.Session]    HKLM, "SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management", "SessionImageSize", 0x10001, 0x10

So I make a Kernel-Mode Drivers Registry Entry add-on...

[general]builddate=2012/07/10description=Kernel-Mode Drivers Registry Entrylanguage=Englishtitle=Kernel-Mode Drivers Registry Entry[registry_addreg]HKLM, "SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management", "SessionImageSize", 0x10001, 0x10

If I think of more, I'll add them later.

Feature Requests

1. More registry tweaks. I'll add some later but for now, here's one.

; Suppress WGA Notifications from appearing on Windows Update. KB905474[registry_addreg]HKLM,"SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows Genuine Advantage","InstallID",0x0,"{30F230D0-7940-499e-8A01-748682288985}"

See Footnote #2 and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Genuine_Advantage#Criticisms.

2. SVCPACK method or direct integration via registry entries for rvkroots.exe. Changes every once in a while. Currently KB2798897 (January 2013). Just needs a /Q switch or no switch at all.

See KB2728973 , rvkroots.exe, will throw up an error when trying to integrate with nLite for additional info. Post #3 has a reg file attachment for an older rvkroots.exe.

3. Slipstreaming of IE8.

4. Slipstreaming of WMP 11 without Boooggy's tool. Boooggy is no more but we still have the tool.

5. Support for Flash installers without the need to turn them into add-ons. As you know, Flash is native to XP but the MS update for it is for Flash 6 and MS says to go to Adobe for security fixes.

File names and URLs don't change, It's install_flash_player_11_active_x.exe for IE and install_flash_player_11_plugin.exe for other browsers. Needs an -install switch.

That's all I can think of right now but I'm sure I'll come up with more.

EDIT: BTW, thanks to Explorer09 for finding some of these problems.

Edited by -X-

Is there a way for you to check the ryanvm's integrator optimize files function?

With SP3 (Relatively all versions) there are files left that are not used.

Plus there are several files that can be compressed and are not.

Edited by Kelsenellenelvian

Feature Requests

[...]

3. Slipstreaming of IE7 or IE8.

nLite 1.4.9.1 already supports slipstreaming IE7 and its updates. It also supports IE8 up to the beta 2 release. An update for IE8 RTM would be ideal; but, as you know, plenty of addons exist for slipstreaming IE8 x86.

<shameless plug>

There's even an addon for slipstreaming IE8 x64. :)

Edited by 5eraph

Thanks guys for the warm welcome.

-X-, nicely compiled list, saving that for detailed review, appreciated.

Kelsenellenelvian, I'll check the optimize function - whatever that is. Can you please elaborate with at least one file as an example of leftover SP3 files and/or uncompressed ones, and when does it occur if it is only after nLite?