Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

nuhi is back, post your suggestions here

- - - - -

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
270 replies to this topic

Hapon

Hapon
  • 8 posts
  • Joined 11-March 06

Welcome back!

I'm one of your fans from China

Edited by Hapon, 19 August 2013 - 03:06 PM.

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

bphlpt

bphlpt

MSFN Addict

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,827 posts
  • Joined 12-May 07

Hmmm... Seems that this "nuhi" is some famous guy here on the forums? Who is he? What does he do?

Creator of nLite and vLite.

Cheers and Regards

Posted Image

vinifera

vinifera

<°)))><

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 976 posts
  • Joined 27-August 09

it would be nice if possible to have IE removed from XP without damage to shell

as for your new possible project that replaces vlite, a way to "disable"/remove winsxs, like win7 rt lite does

without damage to system, and again IE removal :) (this for NT 6, not XP)

Edited by vinifera, 19 August 2013 - 04:35 PM.

If you want true Windows user experience
try Longhorn builds: 3718, 4029, 4066

dencorso

dencorso

Iuvat plus qui nihil obstat

• Supervisor
  • 6,116 posts
  • Joined 07-April 07

Donator

@bphlpt: with all due respect, and no offense meant at all, but... did you actually seriously believe puntoMX mightn't know who nuhi is?  dubbio.gif

Hmmm... Seems that this "nuhi" is some famous guy here on the forums? Who is he? What does he do?

bphlpt

bphlpt

MSFN Addict

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,827 posts
  • Joined 12-May 07

@bphlpt: with all due respect, and no offense meant at all, but... did you actually seriously believe puntoMX mightn't know who nuhi is?  dubbio.gif

@dencorso: No offense taken at all my friend. I found it very, very bizarre, but if it was meant as sarcasm, I'm afraid I missed the point he was trying to make. Sorry.

Cheers and Regards

Posted Image

dencorso

dencorso

Iuvat plus qui nihil obstat

• Supervisor
  • 6,116 posts
  • Joined 07-April 07

Donator

@bphlpt: Nothing to be sorry of, really. And no, it wasn't meant as sarcasm, either, but as a very friendly tongue-in-cheek remark, AFAICS...

Cheers!

Sp0iLedBrAt

Sp0iLedBrAt

MSFN Addict

• MSFN Sponsor
  • 1,727 posts
  • Joined 19-March 09

Welcome back.

Acker

Acker
  • 5 posts
  • Joined 31-December 10

Nice to have you back!

submix8c

submix8c

Inconceivable!

• Patrons
  • 4,410 posts
  • Joined 14-September 05

Huh! Haven't seen g-force around for a while either. Nuhi, have you by chance hacked his account and are posting under both member names? :lol:

Someday the tyrants will be unthroned... Jason "Jay" Chasteen; RIP, bro!

Posted Image

DXRW4E

DXRW4E
  • 7 posts
  • Joined 25-January 10

Welcome back!

OneDrive_Logo.png drive_app_badge.png box-logo.png new_logo.png MEGA_Logo.png

pedilover

pedilover

Junior

• Pip
  • 90 posts
  • Joined 31-October 09

Hi Nuhi,

but is it clever to invest your great know how to XP, when the support is stopped in April 2014 ?

Many people here in the forum are still waiting for a tool like nlite/vlite for win7/8 ! Because all the other tools like 7lite, 7customizer oder 7toolkit are not operating very well. And some of them are no longer developed further.

Regards

thnx4thepen

thnx4thepen

• 20 posts
  • Joined 19-July 06

Hi nuhi! wellcome back :)

jaclaz

jaclaz

The Finder

• Developer
  • 14,852 posts
  • Joined 23-July 04

Hi Nuhi,

but is it clever to invest your great know how to XP, when the support is stopped in April 2014 ?

Stopping the development of a "private" unsupported tool because official support for the base will be stopped 9 months from now?

Wouldn't it be a bit like stopping making spare parts for cars that will go out of production next year?. :unsure:

jaclaz

MAVERICKS CHOICE

MAVERICKS CHOICE

The Guy from Aus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,782 posts
  • Joined 14-November 03

Great to see you back Nuhi! Both your NLite & VLite are very few 3rd party tools Ive used that actually do work as stated! :thumbup :thumbup

submix8c

submix8c

Inconceivable!

• Patrons
  • 4,410 posts
  • Joined 14-September 05

Oh, you tease! It's been a week now.

Hmmm.... must be looking over the code to refresh his memory.

Someday the tyrants will be unthroned... Jason "Jay" Chasteen; RIP, bro!

Posted Image

nuhi

nuhi

nLite & NTLite human.dll

• Developer
  • 4,391 posts
  • Joined 25-October 03

hehe, yeah refreshing my memory, and rewriting whatever I see... dayum must... resist.

I am always using latest Windows as I like to see those dll numbers increase, so yeah, new tool is in the works.

Not fixing nLite would be a shame, regardless how many people will continue using XP. If it starts taking too much of my time then I will drop the idea, but for now I am willing to try both.

edit: and I am going over all of these posts, if I do not reply directly that doesn't mean I ignored it, but I don't say anything until it is checked and can't be reproduced, or it is unexpected and needs more info

Edited by nuhi, 25 August 2013 - 03:19 AM.

http://www.nliteos.com | http://www.ntlite.com
Remove components and customize Windows

aviv00

aviv00

Windowaizer

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 989 posts
  • Joined 02-April 07

Wb nuhi :D

George King

George King

• 11 posts
  • Joined 16-November 08

Woow :) Welcome back :)

I was working on nLite addon pack, which will transform Windows Server 2003 (5,2) into Windows XP 2003 version like http://win2k3.msfn.org/ But maybe you can add this option into nLite with multilanguage support :) What do you think about this idea?

tommyp

tommyp

MSFN Addict

• Developer
  • 1,681 posts
  • Joined 09-January 04

Welcome back Nuhi. 

Posted Image

phaolo

phaolo

• PipPip
  • 189 posts
  • Joined 12-March 07

What? You're back to update nLite again!? Wow great!!

I love that program, it's so useful to tweak Xp for a perfect custom installation.

I'd also like to redo my image in the future with the latest KB patches and apps.

About the problems\bugs..it's hard to recall them now..  I roughly remember these:

- improve saving\importing settings because it was a bit messy, expecially after starting the tweaking (I just need a global clean config for future re-imaging) or after updating the version (the program didn't create some new needed lines in the old config).

- maybe enable somehow support for DriverPacks (sata drivers!), because currently you can only slipstream them after nLite (http://forum.driverp...pic.php?id=3615).

Or are there other better solutions?

Edited by phaolo, 25 August 2013 - 06:01 AM.

jaclaz

jaclaz

The Finder

• Developer
  • 14,852 posts
  • Joined 23-July 04

Cannot say if possible at all (possibly it is not or it is so mindboggingly complex that it is not worth the time to change this :ph34r:), but the one thing that IMHO sucks big at nlite is the non-progressive approach, but since it is "wish day", I'll mention it anyway.

I mean, we have been taught that Rule #1 of nlite is that you never use nlite on an already nlited source.

This is highly counter-intuitive, as I see it.

The usual carpenter example, if you want to fit a plank into a given space, you roughly cut it to the given length (always with a little excess) and then you use a rasp or some sandpaper to finely shorten it until it fits perfectly.

With nlite is just like you have to use one single circular saw cut and if it doesn't fit you throw away the piece of wood and start again from a new longer plank. :w00t:

MInd you I am not asking to re-add something that was already removed (which would be BTW another nice feature, given the amount of people that removed too much and then came here whining that something was amiss and that it as really really needed and how to re-add it) I am talking of the possibility of starting form "less aggressively" reduced sources to experiment with "fine tuning".

jaclaz

nuhi

nuhi

nLite & NTLite human.dll

• Developer
  • 4,391 posts
  • Joined 25-October 03

phaolo and jaclaz, you both are mentioning iterative approach. nLite does support multiple sessions, it is not made to be used only once, just that it is recommended approach because of what I will explain next.
There is confusion with presets, as you start piling up last sessions, they would need to be merged. If something was removed then adding hotfix for it popups up missing files messages and people wonder why it is not integrating. Update packs can literally change everything, and nLite can't track that, or should I say it would be a nightmare to map all changes into entities and undo packages.

nLite gives you the ability to save whatever it does in a single file (plus unattended preset for safety reasons), so you can easily start fresh by copying your prefer source. That source can be whatever you want and made from whatever steps you want.

Configure that source before nLite, back it up, and there is your nLite undo.

I see no real problem there, maybe you can give me a scenario where you must use nLite many times and prefer to use multiple presets each time.
Of course it would be ideal if nLite detected that you already enabled a certain tweak which can be done with a group policy, reg entry, a batch script, an addon, but that is just dreaming as the combinations are too great.
And lastly, returning missing components is simply too much work for a non-issue, simply start fresh and use same preset with that component not removed, simple as that and requires no tricky - easy to messup - multiple combinations of post-hotfixing returning of old component and who knows what other combination.

In short, if you find a bug that is caused by running nLite multiple times, please report. To undo what nLite did, use your source on which you used nLite and configure the preset differently.

And in case you get mad at me not understanding, I am not dissagreeing with you that it would be ideal, I am just saying it is not practical to have undo from nLite itself, it would be much more complicated and prone to bugs.

http://www.nliteos.com | http://www.ntlite.com
Remove components and customize Windows

jaclaz

jaclaz

The Finder

• Developer
  • 14,852 posts
  • Joined 23-July 04

I am not going to get mad at you :), and from the beginning I declared how probably it would have been too complex, yet, the current usage paradigm is IMHO counterintuitive, and even once you get used to it (nothing particularly difficult, but still not very "user friendly") managing the pre-sets is a bit complex/prone to errors.

Let's see if I can "convince" you to think about a slightly different approach. :unsure:

A completely separated tool, that can parse an existing preset in a more convenient display, let's say a "spreadsheet like" view, and that allows comparing two pre-sets and "merge them" in a new one.

jaclaz

Acheron

Acheron

Friend of MSFN

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 988 posts
  • Joined 28-June 04

I agree with Jaclaz that the current nLite tool has too many quirks when processing a modified source. My main complaint is that it modifies a lot of setup files to remove comments and white space on every run. This makes it harder to compare the differences when using version control to check what changes are made.

I would like to have a detailed info tab in nLite which describes exactly what files are modified and why it is necessary to make those changes. It should also explain what nhelper.exe is doing and why it is added.

Say no to bloatware. Download Nero Lite!

phaolo

phaolo

• PipPip
  • 189 posts
  • Joined 12-March 07
There is confusion with presets, as you start piling up last sessions, they would need to be merged

The first times that has really been a nightmare, also because I didn't expect such behaviour (after the first image I was like: "my nLite settings..wtf!?").

Luckly, now I don't need to change much configs. :sneaky:

A nLite auto-merge feature or a global setting or, at least, some warning.. would be nice.

Configure that source before nLite, back it up, and there is your nLite undo.

Yeah, I currently do that multiple times while processing, but it would be good if you could continue with an already made iso (with untouchable options grayed out) or at least see exactly what has been changed (see below).

What about my DriverPacks question, instead?

My main complaint is that it modifies a lot of setup files to remove comments and white space on every run. This makes it harder to compare the differences when using version control to check what changes are made.

I would like to have a detailed info tab in nLite which describes exactly what files are modified [..]

I totally agree with this!!

That would be useful also when you need to add manual tweaks.

Edited by phaolo, 25 August 2013 - 12:24 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users