Jump to content

Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account


Resolved-Error "Cannot connect to server at xxxxx" after nlite

- - - - - cannot connect to server erro nlite missing network file server error after nlite cannot connect after nlite neccessary network files

  • Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic


  • Member
  • 2 posts
  • Joined 29-November 10
  • OS:none specified
  • Country: Country Flag

Hello friends,
I am at my wits end to find the cause of my problem. I have googled for hours and searched this site also. My problem is that when I click to open certain websites, these are sites where I am attempting to pay for a website subscription for example CCbill.com and also to register for membership on another site. I assume these are secure sites and require a certain component, driver or service that is missing from my custom Windows XP installation.

My Unattended install is made by integrating SP3 (not the problem) using nlite to customize then making a few mods to the winnt.sif file and scripted unattended install of a few programs. I beleive the problem is that I am removing something during the nlite process that these servers need to connect with my PC. The error message I get is when I go to a page that says something like "Click here to process payment to CCbill.com". I click the link and the error page appears "Firefox cannot connect to the server at xxxxx" I have tried 3 other browsers and the problem still exists. If I install XP with no modifications the sites will connect. If I use Windows LiveXP the sites connect. Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Last Session.ini attached.Attached File  Last Session.ini   30.34KB   6 downloads


Here is the exact error text I get:


Unable to connect
          Firefox can't establish a connection to the server at www.ccbilleu.com.
  The site could be temporarily unavailable or too busy. Try again in a few
  If you are unable to load any pages, check your computer's network
  If your computer or network is protected by a firewall or proxy, make sure
    that Firefox is permitted to access the Web.





I have been working backwards reinstalling after unchecking removed components etc one at a time.

This is the only way I know of to find the problem. Time consuming and tedious, but Im out of ideas.





I have found the cause of the "server not found error". I had an Idea that there was a good possibility the problem may be with my hosts file.

I had completely forgotten that long ago I replaced my hosts file with a modified one (another persons modded file). This has been something I 

have done by default for years in my unattended installations. It occurred to me to test it.

I renamed the hosts file and reverted to the default one and the problem is gone. Now I have to identify which entry/s are blocking the servers.

Edited by mezose, 28 August 2013 - 11:02 PM.

How to remove advertisement from MSFN



    The Finder

  • Developer
  • 16,300 posts
  • Joined 23-July 04
  • OS:none specified
  • Country: Country Flag

JFY, I find this handy:





OT :w00t: have a look at how Windows 8 (actually Defender) manages Hosts file :ph34r::







  • Patrons
  • 2,425 posts
  • Joined 08-January 04
  • OS:XP Pro x86
  • Country: Country Flag


ROFL!!! Silly Windows 8.

[ Download all Windows XP Post SP3 High-Priority Updates with a simple double click @ xdot.tk Posted Image ]
If someone helps you fix a problem, please report back so they and others can benefit from the solution. Thanks!




  • Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,297 posts
  • Joined 27-August 09
  • OS:Windows 7 x86
  • Country: Country Flag

one more reason among million why not use winblows 8

If you want true Windows user experience
try Longhorn builds: 3718, 4029, 4066

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users