Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

Aero Glass for Win8 1.3

Final release for WIN8 ONLY!!!

• Please log in to reply
588 replies to this topic

bigmuscle

bigmuscle

Aero Glass for Win8 developer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,168 posts
  • Joined 18-August 12

Donator

Ladies and gentlemen,
I present you version 1.0 of Aero Glass reimplementation for Windows 8.

screen3.png

Download and all information are available on its website: http://www.glass8.eu

Please, remember that this software is done in my free time and it is not done for any profit. You won't get the full service as in the case of regular paid software.

Edited by bigmuscle, 11 June 2014 - 12:44 PM.

Aero Glass for Win8.x --> http://www.glass8.eu

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

SeNS

SeNS

• 17 posts
  • Joined 15-July 13

Congrats with release and thanks for the good work!

adacom

adacom

• PipPip
  • 138 posts
  • Joined 27-January 13

thanks - using it as is at the moment without donating - that will come later - one question - the memory usage on my system is much higher than your screen grab above - mine shows 20,000K approx - is that dependant on the machine spec etc or because i am using the non paid for version

ping12

ping12

• 22 posts
  • Joined 17-July 13

Thank You for releasing this AND for making it free.  :thumbup

Oh I noticed there is a donation pop up box, I don't mind.

Wait I don't understand, when I donate will the pop up go away?

Wow, installing this fixed the "there was a problem loading pre-set color" error I had.

Edited by ping12, 29 August 2013 - 04:19 PM.

ptd163

ptd163

Junior

• Pip
  • 52 posts
  • Joined 17-May 13

Congrats on the release bigmuscle and thanks for keeping it free. Question about the donator perks. Are they only available to people donated during testing? Or can people donate today and get the perks you mentioned?

Edited by ptd163, 29 August 2013 - 06:42 PM.

BlindMango

BlindMango

• 19 posts
  • Joined 09-May 13

The day has come! Downloading now! Thanks for all the hard work on this project BigMuscle, it definitely will not go unnoticed ;) I'll be donating!

Just installed it and it is absolutely amazing!! Thanks for the had work again, it works so brilliantly from when I last tried it, the issue where it went nuts when any office application was behind it is now fixed, so far no issues, love it! Also, THANK YOU for making an installer, very smart choice.

@BigMuscle - So I donated to you and managed to get a license key and put it into the AeroGlass folder, your website says to "restart DWM process to activate your license." - Does that in layman's terms just mean restart my PC? lol

Edited by BlindMango, 29 August 2013 - 07:23 PM.

VolitationThorax

VolitationThorax
  • 8 posts
  • Joined 12-February 13

I was going to donate, but yet again you have two meanings to what you say. We can donate how much we like, but at lease 3€ to get a full version. Yet you say "it is not done for any profit".

ping12

ping12

• 22 posts
  • Joined 17-July 13

I was going to donate, but yet again you have two meanings to what you say. We can donate how much we like, but at lease 3€ to get a full version. Yet you say "it is not done for any profit".

The free version is not done for any profit, but the paid version is.

daveo76

daveo76

• PipPip
  • 139 posts
  • Joined 27-August 13

Does this work on Windows 8.1 RTM

MagicAndre1981

MagicAndre1981

after Windows 7 GA still Vista lover :)

• Patrons
  • 6,206 posts
  • Joined 28-August 05

Donator

@BigMuscle - So I donated to you and managed to get a license key and put it into the AeroGlass folder, your website says to "restart DWM process to activate your license." - Does that in layman's terms just mean restart my PC? lol

kill DWM.exe with ProxExp/taskmgr.

Does this work on Windows 8.1 RTM

I doubt this. He has a prototype for 8.1.

Posted Image

BlindMango

BlindMango

• 19 posts
  • Joined 09-May 13

kill DWM.exe with ProxExp/taskmgr.

lol, you may have to put it in more plain English than that for me - What I got from that is Ctrl+Alt+Del, then go to Task Manager, then go to the "Details" tab to where I then find "dwm.exe" - I'm given the option to "End Task", is that what I do? And when I do that, what happens, would that interrupt my desktop? How do I restart the dwm.exe process after I end it?

EDIT: Apparently you can also just simply restart your computer... lol

Edited by BlindMango, 30 August 2013 - 11:43 AM.

daveo76

daveo76

• PipPip
  • 139 posts
  • Joined 27-August 13

how much does it cost for full version. no mention about it anywhere here

Yzöwl

Yzöwl

Wise Owl

• Super Moderator
  • 4,589 posts
  • Joined 13-October 04

Donator

Download and all information are available on its website: http://glass8.berlios.de

daveo76

daveo76

• PipPip
  • 139 posts
  • Joined 27-August 13

Download and all information are available on its website: http://glass8.berlios.de

Thanks Bigmuscle. I be donating shortly but I noticed the license is based on machine code. Does that mean I have to pay for it everytime I upgrade my PC. As I build my own desktop and always update the parts every few months

xpclient

xpclient

XP was my idea. 3rd party apps make NT6 my idea.

• PipPipPip
  • 336 posts
  • Joined 30-July 05

Excellent. I think you should do a FAQ for first-timers or those who weren't following the project and want to avoid reading 100+ pages of the MSFN topic and related threads. To surface the important information from the MSFN topic that is. :)

This is how my Windows Codename Compromise 8 looks with it, Classic Shell and a Windows 7-like visual style:

ocqUps0.jpg

Edited by xpclient, 30 August 2013 - 01:56 AM.

Impossible to run NT6 without third party fixes.

Thunderbolt 2864

Thunderbolt 2864

• PipPipPipPip
  • 539 posts
  • Joined 28-December 05

If you donate and receive the registry key file and therefore activate Aero Glass the popup will be disabled if you guys wanted to know.

Edited by Thunderbolt 2864, 30 August 2013 - 12:38 AM.

PC 1: Intel Xeon E5 2687w | 32GB DDR3 G.Skill Ripjaws X 2133Mhz | Gigabyte GTX 670 SLI | Corsair AX1200 watt Power Supply | 20x LG SATA DVD+/- RW | LG BluRay/HD DVD Combo Drive| Logitech Z-5500 5.1 speakers | 42" Toshiba 42XL700a at 1920x1080 1080p | ASRock X79 Fata1ty Champion | Aerocool Strike-X ST Black | 1x OCZ Vertex 3 240GB SSD | 1x 4TB Western Digital Hard Drive | Windows 8 x64 Pro

bigmuscle

bigmuscle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,168 posts
  • Joined 18-August 12

Donator

thanks - using it as is at the moment without donating - that will come later - one question - the memory usage on my system is much higher than your screen grab above - mine shows 20,000K approx - is that dependant on the machine spec etc or because i am using the non paid for version

a) Memory usage depends on amount of opened windows. I noticed that mainly Internet Explorer is able to increase memory usage a lot (but it does not depend on Aero Glass).

B) Donation request will go away if you donate, of course.

c) Restarting dwm.exe just means killing dwm.exe process in Task Manager. This is the fast way which works. Restarting whole system is cleaner but slower.

d) this is for Windows 8 only. I was thinking to merge with 8.1 prototype but I didn't do it not to break anything.

e) some FAQs are on the website. They are very short but they will gradually increase.

f) machine code is based on your main HDD and CPU vendor - if you change one of this, you will need new license key. That's why you can generate more (but limited amount of) keys per donation.

I was going to donate, but yet again you have two meanings to what you say. We can donate how much we like, but at lease 3€ to get a full version. Yet you say "it is not done for any profit

You can donate how much you want. For example 0.5€. The problem is paypal fee, I will get almost nothing for small donations - I have no problem with it but it is a but unfair to those who donated much more.

DosProbie

DosProbie

Friend of MSFN

• MSFN Sponsor
  • 824 posts
  • Joined 16-October 12

Donator

Congrats! BigMuscle on a Job Well Done..

To make things simple here are a few scripts to enable or disable AeroGlass v1.0 

DP :yes:

Attached Files

sudalz

sudalz

• 27 posts
  • Joined 02-June 13
I don't understand. For free users, isn't it better to use version .95 than version 1.0, since the former supports automatic downloading of DWM symbols, whereas the latter doesn't, and both have the popup message? Why migrate to 1.0? Any advantage?

MrGRiM

MrGRiM

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 350 posts
  • Joined 17-October 12

Donator

Glad the wait is over, is there any changes from the installer given to testers, do we need to download it again?

bigmuscle

bigmuscle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,168 posts
  • Joined 18-August 12

Donator

I don't understand. For free users, isn't it better to use version .95 than version 1.0, since the former supports automatic downloading of DWM symbols, whereas the latter doesn't, and both have the popup message? Why migrate to 1.0? Any advantage?

Of course, you are right. It is even better to use version 0.1.

Glad the wait is over, is there any changes from the installer given to testers, do we need to download it again?

It is same - just recompiled. Only installer has changed to apply some ideas from testers (and I hope I didn't forget for anything :-))

MrGRiM

MrGRiM

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 350 posts
  • Joined 17-October 12

Donator

It is same - just recompiled. Only installer has changed to apply some ideas from testers (and I hope I didn't forget for anything :-))

OK that's good, not tested the new installer yet but in the old one I thought it might be a problem uninstalling if the user is using the theme signature bypass, on my installer I have it restore the default theme before it asks for a restart, does your installer do this now as well?

Edited by MrGRiM, 30 August 2013 - 07:01 AM.

bigmuscle

bigmuscle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,168 posts
  • Joined 18-August 12

Donator

Nope, it does not restore the theme. I'm aware that it is the problem and that it will result in black screen (when using custom unsigned theme) but it is the reason why the feature is marked as experimental. But I should add it to the FAQ.

Btw, donation key for Win8 should work also on prototype for Win8.1.

Blackbird256

Blackbird256

• PipPip
  • 146 posts
  • Joined 01-February 13

So what is the difference between 0.95 and 1.0 then? The automatic symbol updates saves plenty of your time so don't have to release new version every time MS decides to update 1 line in the code.

Edited by Blackbird256, 30 August 2013 - 07:20 AM.

bigmuscle

bigmuscle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,168 posts
  • Joined 18-August 12

Donator

Sorry, but I really didn't know what to answer to question whether it is better to you testing or final version. Final version contains many fixes and optimizations, it does not contain plenty of debug checks and is compiled with full optimizations enabled.

The automatic symbol updates saves plenty of your time so don't have to release new version every time MS decides to update 1 line in the code.

It is only partial true, because updating one line of code mostly does not change the function prolog which is important for my utility. The change must be more complicated and it happened only once during whole Aero Glass development.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users