Windows Update trouble

mjdbb1

Review -X- (xdot) link above. Note the "Required For Windows Update". Also note you *may* need the IE8 Updates as well, since it has flaws. See Change Log at bottom for notations and/or look for anything prefixed with "IE8-" in the High Priority list.

Hilariously, the http://support.microsoft.com/kb/949104 now provides "Fix-Its" instead of the *old* WUA Links.

This is the *old* version (newer than the one in XP SP3) "WindowsUpdateAgent30-x86.exe" (v7.6.7600.243) whereas (again) the one "constructed" by the UDC Package is THE latest (v7.6.7600.256).

As far as I know, Microsoft issued a botched security update that caused SVCHOST CPU usage to spike to 100%.

Installing Update KB2879017 fixed this problem. :)

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=40390

Usually I won't reply to any help I found in forums, but this completely solved my problem with updating XP. Now, it took a little time, maybe an hour, after I insatalled the fix and let update run before it finally found updates. Updated it then had to reboot. After reboot ran update again and within a minute it was done scanning with no more updates to be found. Ran it one more time for custom updates and found a few more. Not sure if it made a difference or not but I turned off automatic updates.

Thanks.....

• 2 weeks later...

Hello to all and may I wish you all a very happy new year.

I am new to these forums so please advise if I make mistakes here:)

Have been using the UDC packages often in the last few years and appreciate the time and effort that goes in to making it all available to the public,, Thank you:)

Last few months I have been having issues with the UDC files:

Randomly it downloads as a corrupt file and won't extract,

When I can extract successfully and click the batch file to begin, it opens a window asking for confirmation: Type Y to agree.

On doing this this page closes and nothing happens?

I believe that it is probably me doing something wrong as age and memory loss is catching up fast.

May I ask that someone point me in the right direction so that once more I may be able to update my XP disc?

Thank you again:)

You probably have some hard drive corruption. Click start, run, type chkdsk /r and then press enter. A black cmd window will pop up asking you....

Chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another
process. Would you like to schedule this volume to be
checked the next time the system restarts? (Y/N)

Type a Y and press enter. Reboot, It will perform a thorough disk check. If it find's any errors, I would run it again until it does not. Depending on the size of your OS partition this may take hours or minutes so be prepared.

Redownload the UDC file and try again. It's MD5 checksum is F74506FE2961152CE1678071C1B0035F. This is for the UDC-12.12.13.zip UDC. You can verify this with HashCalc 2.02.

Cannot be hard drive corruption as this is failing on multiple PC's, some XP and Win7 & ha been like this for a few months.

Just tried downloading the UDC 12.12.13 and on trying to extract get: File is unknown or damaged error?

Tried both winrar & winzip to extract but both fail?

Using a PC with XP atm.

Even when the extraction is successful and I open the batch file it takes me to the confirmation screen where I type Y and the page just closes?

Sorry to be a niusance?

To all those commenting on my offered solution here are my views on same:

Slipstreaming SP3* is the issue causing Windows Update to hang/freeze as I found to my concern, and to the concern of countless others in numerous articles I have read on this issue, not just on this thread. Also the three files, I mention which have now been subjected to irrelevant analysis, are those recommended by Microsoft in getting SP3 to work as it is supposed to. Slipstreaming SP3 is not the same as installing SP2 and then running Windows update from there, since there are several updates between SP2 and SP3 which are differently implemented in SP3 slipstream. If you install SP2 and then install the pre-downloaded SP3 file then Wndows Update will still end up stalling, and it makes no difference what the staus of the Windows Update flag is - turned on or off it is still the same - the update mechanism will attempt to roll and then stall. And the problem in sorting this out has been made more difficult by Microsoft's amending of, and in some cases removal of, articles relevant to Windows Update in XP as April 2014 gets ever closer.

The crucial problem seems to me to be overcoming the inability of IE6 to provide access to Windows updates without using the three files mentioned, and this is what happens if you simply install slipstreamed SP3. You are left with IE8 and a damaged update module During my travails on the Microsoft website I did find a mention of the whole subject of damaged update modules in the knowledgebase but the original solutions had been, as someone else has noted, scrubbed and replaced with the later Fix-its which are not fit for purpose.

My method of overcoming is straightforward, reliable and reasonably quick, and has now worked on six different machines which were all having this update freeze issue from slipstreamed SP3. My method may not be the only route to success but most of the comments after my posting just repeat issues which do not overcome the actual problem people are encountering i.e. a frozen Windows update module which is not going to get repaired. We all want what works, not what some nerd says should work. Surely that is the whole point of this thread isn't it?

Happy New Year to you all.

* Please note that, in the past, I have used slipstreamed SP3 several times with complete success. The issue is changes Mircosoft have made to Windows Update in preparation for closing down support to XP. There is no specific advice from Microsoft relevant to the freezing which occurs only that it is under investigation.

@perkypops - you didn't notice right at the TOP of -X- UDC?

Needed for Windows Update Filename / Download Link Bulletin KB Article Description WindowsXP-KB892130-ENU-x86.exe KB892130 Windows Genuine Advantage Validation v1.9.42.0 WindowsUpdateAgent7.6.7600.256.cab [1] KB949104 Windows Update Engine v7.6.7600.256 WindowsXP-KB898461-x86-ENU.exe KB898461 Installs a permanent copy of the Package Installer for Windows
BTW, I guess that "nerd" crack was a compliment. Thanks! :w00t:

1 - An Xp with SP3 Integrated

2 - Install the above

3 - Go to WU and it just "works"

You definitely are confused. :blink: There is absolutely NO problem as you keep suggesting. And AGAIN, using UDC will have a Fully Integrated (including IE8) CD. It's even possible to integrate WMP11. ;) In addition, you suggest that someone who has an Official MS with SP3 Pre-Integrated go out and get an XP w/SP2 because you suggest that Integrated SP3 will "cause problems"? Seriously? :no:

This is a rather painfull experience I had trying to update my sister's laptop (AMD Turion X2, Windows XP SP3 recently installed). I firstly tried without IE8 - she didn't want it. Windows Update seemed to be working in terms of CPU usage and disc access but after 18,5 hours! I quited. I installed IE8, I tried again and after 2 hours I quited again. I downloaded and installed - with problems, I had to extract with 7-zip and copy the wuweb.dll file manually - the latest Windows Update Agent. This time Windows Update worked untill the detection of the available updates. I clicked on "Install updates" and it couldn't download the files - I tried thee times. I thought that something strange is going on. The only unfamilliar thing was Mobogenie - software for Android phones. I uninstalled Mobogenie and everything worked without problems. Maybe this program should be detected and treated as a virus?

@submix8c

On the MSN installation I mentioned slipstreamed SP3, which implies the user has an SP2 XP disc, so please read carefully.

I have used a slipstreamed disc I have had since SP3 was released for installing XP successfully many times over, the last being March 2013. The issue with updates hanging is first mentioned in October/November 2013 and no amount of patronage will overcome the difficulties lots of users have had with this problem i.e. use a slipstreamed SP3 disc and you'll get a freeze. I have even tried it with an MS SP3 disc with the same outcome - Windows update is frozen. Installing the files mentioned achieved nothing (one of the fixits can do it for you and you get zilch). Microsoft have admitted to this problem (and SP3 new installs). Isn't that enough for you?

I am confused, battered and bewildered by the disrespect shown by people on this site. So please do not expect to find me here again.