installed xp will not let me activate windows

altenuta

I recently used nlite to reinstall windows xp home on my drive. When I boot for the first time I am promped to activate. I tried both answering yes and no. At that point my desktop pic comes up without the start bar at the bottom and no desktop icons. What have I done wrong and what to do about fixing this problem? Last session.ini attached.

Thanks,

Al

LAST SESSION.INI

How are these supposed to be ?

[Hotfixes]
C:\WINDOWS\Driver Cache\i386\ntkrnlmp.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Driver Cache\i386\ntkrnlpa.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Driver Cache\i386\ntkrpamp.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Driver Cache\i386\ntoskrnl.exe

and what is the label of your Windows CD ?

I don't know what those files are for or why they are there. I opened my last session.ini and found that it has a Product Code that is not correct. I think it is from another drive on my computer which I don't have the disk for. The correct starting disk is a Dell OEM operating system reinstallation cd for xp home edition including sp1a with a Prod Code for my computer. It is a Dell 2400, 40GB. WPI Guru says don't skip OOBE. Is that correct? I am going to correct the problems and burn a new iso.

The "Last session.ini" being the witness of your choices in nLite, you should know why those files are there. Or you picked up a random "last sesssion.ini" file on the net or on your computer. If that CD was sold with that computer, it should install XP preactivated, unless you change the key.